|OT| Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Longo_2_guns said:
Because you'd still buy it.

Well actually i did not buy it my roommate did, and its my first elder scrolls game so its not like i was dying of anticipation for it/or was even going to buy it. I just don't think it is as great as everyone says. I really liked Dark Souls a lot more. But to sum everything up i'm giving up on this game until everything is fixed.

Gunner37 said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Because you'd still buy it.

Well actually i did not buy it my roommate did, and its my first elder scrolls game so its not like i was dying of anticipation for it/or was even going to buy it. I just don't think it is as great as everyone says. I really liked Dark Souls a lot more. But to sum everything up i'm giving up on this game until everything is fixed.

Don't hold your breath...it's Bethesda.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Don't hold your breath...it's Bethesda.

This. Bethesda has a nasty habit of patching major game breaking bugs but leaves many tiny glitches for the "unofficial patches" to patch up.

I have a freezing problem too, but it hasn't frozen more than twice in a sitting. Thanks to autosave, it doesn't really matter, it just wastes a moment of my time.

I'm enjoying being a claws-only Khajiit too much to stop playing the game just yet. And with how quickly my smithing increases with the Warrior Stone, Well Rested bonus, and Master difficulty gave me hope to have some daedric gauntlets pretty soon here.

So my PC version was doing nothing but crashing every time i went anywhere near Whiterun and lagging occasionally.

Downloaded the 4gb mod.

Single best mod ever. No more lagging, no crashes, no nothing.
So very worth the download if you don't already have it,

So yesterday I picked up Star Wars: The Old Republic CE. Very nice and all. However, the lines for logging into the server were very long (500+) and there was a waiting period of +/- 35 minutes.

As I am an impatient person, I decided to jump back into Skyrim for at least a little while longer.

Since I grew tired of my race, I decided to use the console commands to change it into a Nord. I've read up on the console commands and any difficulties which might arise, like heads not showing if you forcibly change your character in a Nord, but the process was fairly painless. Although the thought of being the headless horseman tearing through the countryside of Skyrim on the back of Shadowmere sounded awfully fun to me, especially combined with the Storm Call shout, I decided against it.

The trick is to first write down all your stats, since you need to redistribute them later on manually using console commands. Don't forget your magicka/health/stamina levels either.

The best bet is to use the showracemenu command. You will get the custimization screen from the start of the game. From this screen on you can select your race and change your appearance. There are other commands of course which allows you to instantly chance your race, but this will result in weird glitches, like Bretons turning up green if you changed from an Orc. Kind of similar to the sexchange command; your appearance doesn't really change.

Once you've set your character up, there is a good chance that all of your skills are messed up. For me, my Destruction, Illusion, One Handed and Archery were maxed out. Health, Magicka and Stamina was distributed evenly, resulting in weird, impossible to attain normally, scores: 273 in each.
The good things: all the perks I've chosen up until that point were still in tact and working as they should. Also: I've gained a level up for free, including getting to pick a new perk. I made it a point to calculate the actual amount of skill points I had to gain to get to that point, and to distribute those according to the skills I was aiming to develop. Yes, a bit of cheating, but it balances out the leveling process up until level 54 and a half.

The command to set the skill level is something like player.setav <SKILLNAME> XXX (where XXX is the actual level).

Once my character was back to the level where I left it, I enjoyed my Nord character very much. Though I am now more vulnerable to fire, at least I can last longer against Icemancers now. Also: Stormcloaks respond more favorable to me. Being a Dunmer working for the Stormcloaks wasn't all that easy, since the Nords seem to believe that the afterlife has a special place in hell for the elves in general, and the dark ones in particular (seeing how the slums in the Stormcloak capital is filled to the brim with Dunmer).

Oddly enough, even after hours of play, the game still did not crash for me. Must've been a good day.

I got over the frost mages by grabbing the Helm of Yngol fairly early.

Daedric armor'd dunmer female with Yngols helm and a scale of 1.03.

Straight pimp.

Yngol's helm?

Meh, I guess I'll work on my resistances through enchanting.

Got waterbreathing now on my Dragonscale helmet, much good that will do me. :p

So did anyone find the beginning thieves guild quests to be a tad annoying? The dude expects so much in broad daylight and since myy first character has low pickpocet and lockpick skills im always caught red handed!

I kinda like that honestly though, I shouldn't be an adequate thief since I use a dremora lord to kill everything for me, but curious any opinions on that questline.

I've started it, maybe halfway through the quest line. Don't worry, once you're a member you get a set of awesome looking armor that makes you a lot better at thieving.

But I'm kind of glad you're having trouble. One of my biggest gripes about Skyrim is that it's too easy to make your character well balanced to the point of being able to do everything. The beauty of previous Elder Scroll games, and even Fallout 3, is that your character would have weaknesses and he would have trouble using skills that were not in his skill set.

used44 said:
I've started it, maybe halfway through the quest line. Don't worry, once you're a member you get a set of awesome looking armor that makes you a lot better at thieving.

But I'm kind of glad you're having trouble. One of my biggest gripes about Skyrim is that it's too easy to make your character well balanced to the point of being able to do everything. The beauty of previous Elder Scroll games, and even Fallout 3, is that your character would have weaknesses and he would have trouble using skills that were not in his skill set.

It's also how I like to play, which is why it's a problem with Skyrim in general is the fact that it's so exploitable in that regard.

It is a minor gripe of mine too. Even though my character was a hulking brute running around in a full suit of daedric armor and warhammer and never put a single point into my magic pool, let alone actually use any spells, I had no trouble becoming the next arch mage. Never did any sneaking but had no trouble becoming in charge of the thieves guild.

I wouldn't even say my character was well balanced at all and it still seemed too easy to do the things I should have been weak in. I think Fallout was a much better example of you not being able to do certain things in the game if you didn't have the skills in that area.

I mean, I can understand why they did it. They didn't want large sections of the game to basically be unavailable to you for choosing to play a certain way (The game would be a lot shorter if you couldn't do those major quest chains for example) so they allowed a lot of leeway to the quest chains, but it still seemed odd and a little off putting.

I think when they tighten up that leeway it makes it more fun to reroll as a new, totally different character. You shouldn't be head of all the guilds as one character, not just because of the lore of the universe or what have you, but because things are more important and memorable when they're specialized.

Rerolling new characters is pretty much all I did in previous Elder Scrolls games.

I agree for the most part. I've already got a pure mage up to lvl 15 now that I've "finished" my first play through as pure melee. And I am already thinking of a few more characters to roll.

I can see the other side though of how some people might be burned out after one play through and might not want to play through several times to experience everything there is to offer.

You can really experience everything the game has to offer in a single playthrough, though.

Also, I finally wrote that blog I said I would. It went through about three stylistic revisions, and since I had a lot to say I really don't think it's my best work, but here it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle