|OT| Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

heavy armor rating enchant .. is it worth it?? or are the better things like magic resistance, weapon damage increase and health increase.

I wouldn't say my vagina is sandy in general. More like I'm enjoying the game, and every thirty minutes it dumps sand on me. It's a good game, but it's flawed. An imperfect gem.

It's inferior to New Vegas in like every way but graphics, but it's still good.

Longo_2_guns said:
I wouldn't say my vagina is sandy in general. More like I'm enjoying the game, and every thirty minutes it dumps sand on me. It's a good game, but it's flawed. An imperfect gem.

It's inferior to New Vegas in like every way but graphics, but it's still good.

This.

Thats why I wrote my article...

Daddio said:
heavy armor rating enchant .. is it worth it?? or are the better things like magic resistance, weapon damage increase and health increase.

I dont think so i would probably go with magic resistance because those mages with those high level magic suck so much especially those with ice.. f**k ice mages.

Yeah. I'm working on a blog myself. The working title of it is "If Skyrim is Game of the Year, it must have been a sad year."

Regardless, back to the fun stories.

I got Chillrend. It's decent, but runs through its charge too fast. Luckily I've got a Daedric sword with Soul Trap and the Black Star to make it all good. But I still prefer the flaming sword I made, which I named Ash Blade so that it would always be the first thing in my favorite. Fucking alphabetical order...

And I fought a dragon and a dragon priest at the same time. It was pretty easy. Just about to finish the Thieves Guild, but since you lose the skeleton key and all you get is a wussy daily power, I'm going to just... not, for a while.

As for enchanting, I'm trying to get to 100 so I can get armor that gives me both +40 something One Handed (to total like +200) and heavier defenses. I dunno if having higher ratings would help enough to be worth it or not.

Wait wait, inferior to New Vegas? This I don't get... New Vegas shipped with tons more glitches than Skyrim did. Getting locked out of New Vegas itself, items disappearing from chests, guns suddenly upside down in FPS view, falling through the world, Deathclaws getting stuck in the ground, enemies spawning behind walls, quests that are uncompletable at launch, instant-death for no obvious reasons, screwed up physics, save-file corruptions, cache errors, having to delete saved games or load-times become unacceptable.

Quests are the most basic things ever, and unlike Fallout 3, there are no nice areas to explore. They're all super-short, punchy and quick, except for the Vaults. Beyond the vaults, no real dungeons to speak of except ultra-short caverns. The final mission is horrid. The only thing is has over Fallout 3 is MORE quests, but those 'more' quests comes at the price of them being a lot more boring, and short. Also: No hidden items, everything is plain view. No stims falling out of buckets, or hidden underneath books, no reason to explore at all beyond a few easter eggs.

So, I don't get that argument to New Vegas. Obsidian can't code for shit, every Obsidian game they release is far worse than a Bethesda game. I'm sorry... KOTOR 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocal, every single game they make is horribly horribly buggy. I've encountered no game-breaking glitches thus far, just a few mild annoying ones. I haven't been locked out of Whiterun, nor has my sword mysteriously vanishes from my FPS view, my texture don't turn inside out.

Rag on the game all you want, but man, I don't get that New Vegas is better part. Valid points up until now, that is just silly. <3 though, and no harsh feelings, just sayin', I don't get it, for the reasons stated.

More bugs, yeah, I suppose so.

But the actual quality of the game was far better.

I mean, lets look at the actual gameplay of it. First of all, your stats actually mattered. If you weren't talented enough in a certain field, you couldn't do the harder stuff. Plain and simple. If you can't hack, you can't get in to a more secure computer no matter what. If you suck with melee, then you flail about awkwardly rather than just do less damage. If your strength is too low, you can't use a gun that weighs seventy pounds. Stuff like that that helps define it as a solid RPG.

Then there's the whole perk system on top of that. The way the perks are done is much better, as they don't compose the total meat and potatoes of the leveling system. Rather, they're additional, conditional bonuses to gameplay. If you meet the requirements and do what needs to be done, they boost your experience. This also produces a great sense of choice, as there are always downsides. For example, the Mysterious Stranger, which only appears on occasion if you use VATS and fail to kill them. Or the Shotgun Wizard, which knocks the enemy down when you use shotguns, but that requires you to use a weapon with a lower DPS and less armor penetration.

As for the quests, a lot of them may be shorter, but what they lack in length they make up for by being both broad and original. How many quests in Skyrim involve you going through a narrow, linear tunnel system to get one item at the very end, which coincidentally has a shortcut back to the beginning, or being a fetch quest of some other sort? How many of them have vastly differing outcomes or solutions to them? Hell, even Fallout 3 suffers from this a fair amount. Whereas in New Vegas, there are few quests that don't offer many outcomes and many ways to solve a problem. You can talk your way through most situations, and a lot of quests don't even require fighting a single thing if you don't want to. Plus there's the fact that a lot of quests have skill requirements if you wanted the best results, or even to do the quest, which would've been a decent thing in Skyrim. I mean, you can pretty much go through the full Mages Guild without even knowing any magic, or the Thieves Guild without having stealth.

And, honestly, that's only scratching the surface. I have other points I could make if I need to.

Longo_2_guns said:
More bugs, yeah, I suppose so.

But the actual quality of the game was far better.

I mean, lets look at the actual gameplay of it. First of all, your stats actually mattered. If you weren't talented enough in a certain field, you couldn't do the harder stuff. Plain and simple. If you can't hack, you can't get in to a more secure computer no matter what. If you suck with melee, then you flail about awkwardly rather than just do less damage. If your strength is too low, you can't use a gun that weighs seventy pounds. Stuff like that that helps define it as a solid RPG.

Then there's the whole perk system on top of that. The way the perks are done is much better, as they don't compose the total meat and potatoes of the leveling system. Rather, they're additional, conditional bonuses to gameplay. If you meet the requirements and do what needs to be done, they boost your experience. This also produces a great sense of choice, as there are always downsides. For example, the Mysterious Stranger, which only appears on occasion if you use VATS and fail to kill them. Or the Shotgun Wizard, which knocks the enemy down when you use shotguns, but that requires you to use a weapon with a lower DPS and less armor penetration.

As for the quests, a lot of them may be shorter, but what they lack in length they make up for by being both broad and original. How many quests in Skyrim involve you going through a narrow, linear tunnel system to get one item at the very end, which coincidentally has a shortcut back to the beginning, or being a fetch quest of some other sort? How many of them have vastly differing outcomes or solutions to them? Hell, even Fallout 3 suffers from this a fair amount. Whereas in New Vegas, there are few quests that don't offer many outcomes and many ways to solve a problem. You can talk your way through most situations, and a lot of quests don't even require fighting a single thing if you don't want to. Plus there's the fact that a lot of quests have skill requirements if you wanted the best results, or even to do the quest, which would've been a decent thing in Skyrim. I mean, you can pretty much go through the full Mages Guild without even knowing any magic, or the Thieves Guild without having stealth.

And, honestly, that's only scratching the surface. I have other points I could make if I need to.

All valid points, in truth. I do love hardcore mode, survival was fun as hell when you had to eat and sleep, but I did end up getting ultra frustrated with the amount of game-breaking bugs in the game. Getting locked out of New Vegas was unacceptable, so was my items disappearing from a safe chest in my house.

Still, though, I enjoy Skyrim immensely. I think it's one of the best single-player RPGs I've played in a few years, but that's just me. Games are subjective in the extreme, s'why I don't really agree with the concept of review scores at all, nor do I mind ragging on games (I sometimes do explode and go in the opposite direction but eh, I try to be level-headed.) I don't know if Skyrim is better than New Vegas, because they're two different styles of RPG. Hell, I think Dead Island is in my top five games of all time, if that tells you anything about how I think of games.

I really agree. And I do like Skyrim, but it does lean a bit too much on the action/adventure side more than I would like an Elder Scrolls game to. And yeah, the big problem with New Vegas was the bugs. I never had any game breakers, but I could still feel them.

As for reviews, I really look at it like there is the objective and the subjective. The objective, which is the actual quality of the game and how well the game is made, how well the story is done, how well the gameplay works, etc. is what should make up the most of it. The subjective, which is stuff like how much fun you had with it and how you liked the story, should come in to play and help support the review without being the main focus of the grades.

Mostly when I've been criticizing Skyrim, I've been focusing on the objective. This is all stuff that isn't unique to me, for the most part. Though it's still important to talk about how I'm feeling personally.

And how I'm feeling personally? Badass. I sexied up my armor and weapons with increased stats.

For enchants I think it depends on your playstyle more than anything. Double enchanting allows you to make a pretty insane set of gear. Since I play a heavy armor 2h I went with this set up:

Head =fort archery & fort magic (not much to put on helms)
Chest=fort health & health regen
Boots = fort stamina & stamina regen
Gloves = fort 2h & fort 1h
Ring = fort 2h & magic resist
Neck = fort 2h & magic resist

Edit: Almost forgot, but I was thinking about changing up my ring and necklace enchants. Though I take hardly any physical damage anymore, certain magic users can mess me up in a hurry even with 56% magic resistance.

I don't know if it is a bug or glitch or if it was intended, but in my enchant list I have 2 resist magic enchants. One for 8% and one for 10%. I'm not sure how I got both, if it was from disenchanting two items or what. Anyway, with the my enchanting perks and a fort enchanting potion I can bump that up to 22% and 28%. And with double enchanting I could put those both on a necklace and a ring.

Now using my amazing public school math powers, 22%+28%+22%+28% = 100% magic resistance which in theory should make me immune to spells. I would just have to give up the combined 90% fortify 2h off the neck and ring.

Might have to mess around with it later and see what happens.

Also I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about the game in general. It's very good but very flawed. Not game of the year to me. For my money that would go to Batman.

As for ingame, I had a quest to talk to Farleen or whatever her name is in Markarth. As I am kill on site there it presented a unique problem. So I entered the keep at night and in full heavy armor with about 35 to 40 skill in sneak with no perks I managed to sneak to her room, pick the lock and sneak up to her bed without waking her. I stood up real quick and hit "E" and was able to open up the conversation and complete the quest. Don't know if that is a bug or not but seemed pretty silly to me. Afterwards I completed the Stormcloak side of the civil war which took care of my Maarkarth guard bug.

Also got married and found out something I didn't like. Whoever you decide to marry, whatever they are wearing is what they will always be wearing. I married this miner chick in miners clothes and when she was at the house I wanted to put her in a nice dress or something (I take my digital dress up srsly!) but no luck. She does give me gold every time I visit though so it's not all bad.

Oh, plus I just found a quest that was the funniest thing in the game to me so far. I run into a dog on the road and it starts talking to me...
Dog: "I need your help."
Me: "You can talk?"
Dog: There are flying lizards and giant cat people walking around on two legs and you have a problem with a talking dog?"

Had me cracking up.

C_nate said:
Whoever you decide to marry, whatever they are wearing is what they will always be wearing. I married this miner chick in miners clothes and when she was at the house I wanted to put her in a nice dress or something (I take my digital dress up srsly!) but no luck.
My brother couldn't get Lydia to put on different armor until he gave her a new weapon as well.

Longo_2_guns said:
Just about to finish the Thieves Guild, but since you lose the skeleton key and all you get is a wussy daily power, I'm going to just... not, for a while.

Keep the key! To complete the Thieves Guild you have to keep doing jobs for Delvin and Vex! Not entirely sure if you need to finish Darkness Returns to finish the Guild questline...

C_nate said:
Also I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about the game in general. It's very good but very flawed. Not game of the year to me. For my money that would go to Batman.

As for ingame, I had a quest to talk to Farleen or whatever her name is in Markarth. As I am kill on site there it presented a unique problem. So I entered the keep at night and in full heavy armor with about 35 to 40 skill in sneak with no perks I managed to sneak to her room, pick the lock and sneak up to her bed without waking her. I stood up real quick and hit "E" and was able to open up the conversation and complete the quest. Don't know if that is a bug or not but seemed pretty silly to me. Afterwards I completed the Stormcloak side of the civil war which took care of my Maarkarth guard bug.

Also got married and found out something I didn't like. Whoever you decide to marry, whatever they are wearing is what they will always be wearing. I married this miner chick in miners clothes and when she was at the house I wanted to put her in a nice dress or something (I take my digital dress up srsly!) but no luck. She does give me gold every time I visit though so it's not all bad.

Oh, plus I just found a quest that was the funniest thing in the game to me so far. I run into a dog on the road and it starts talking to me...
Dog: "I need your help."
Me: "You can talk?"
Dog: There are flying lizards and giant cat people walking around on two legs and you have a problem with a talking dog?"

Had me cracking up.

I had quite the opposite happening to me in Markath.

After I escaped from the mine, helping the Forsworn King, I went into Stealth and backstabbed all Forsworn escapees, including their king, as they were fighting the guards.

As a result the guards/people of Markath love me. The Forsworm -not all of them somehow- are flagged as friendly in some areas, since I helped their king escape. Quite the nice bug I would say.

The talking dog quest... so annoying. Following it to his destination was aggravating to say the least. Just point me to the location on the map and let me fast travel will you? Awww... now it wants to fight a wolf pack as well. Good thing the dog is immune to whatever...

Needless to say, I did the quest for the dog, and left him in the shrine. A dog as annoying as that deserves to be put next to its Daedric Master.

MattAY said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Keep the key! To complete the Thieves Guild you have to keep doing jobs for Delvin and Vex! Not entirely sure if you need to finish Darkness Returns to finish the Guild questline...

Completeing Darkness Returns just gives you the achievement. Doing quests for Delvin and Vex give you the achievement for returning the thieves guild to its former glory. I have like 500 lock picks so I don't care about the skeleton key.

Creeped Out

Anyone else creeped out by the Molag Bol instance...

Forget all the bitching and moaning about graphics and bugs and GOTY (Toss Up Batman:AC or AC:Revelations) there are prettier and less glitchy games (Skyward Sword)... This is an RPG... From a Company that makes RPG's... This is about being another person... Immerse yourself in the story... Don't powerlevel and complain about being unstoppable... You are a prisoner (or dinosaur!) and are asked to help save Skyrim from the rise of Dragons... To hell with the war we're saving the world!!!

I was so into my character's story that when I wandered into that one house and Molag Bol threw me into a death match... I peed a little...

Then won... and haven't been back since...

So i made some increase smithing gear, remade my daedric set (did not bother doing the alchemy / enchant loop) then enchanted it out. Jebus, charging 1 hit crit kills FTW!

I made a suit of armor and gear that has 176% increase in one handed and sneak. So I'm an invisible murderer in heavy armor, which is nice.

Thinking about getting a glass dagger to get the 15X crits, but that would require spending two more perks.

Well I have the Poacher's Grace boots, which completely muffle my movement while sneaking for an Oblivion-like effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaminglovex