Need advice

kingg5

Rookie
So i'm finally entering the 21st century and i'm going to be in the market for an HD TV i'm low on budget money on this so looking for something in between 200-250. So far i'm looking at a 32 inch Sceptre for 180. But, I keep reading mixed reviews on this so I come to good ol GR for advice like good ol times. Anyways thanks to those who aren't gonna be dicks.

Wait until Black Friday if you can. And is there any way you can make your budget a little higher? You will find better T.Vs in the 300-400 dollar price range. You could at that point find a 32 inch Samsung or if there's a really good sale on, find a decent plasma which are generally superior to LCD tvs.

Lethean said:
find a decent plasma which are generally superior to LCD tvs.
...what? Plasma is infamous for burned-in images and higher power usage.

But you're right; Black Friday is the time to buy. However, you need to shop smart. Don't get a plasma screen, 600hz is ad-speak for 60hz, "Famous Brand" could be anyone, Samsung is great, superstores usually have the best deals, if a TV is labeled by the store as only 720p but is larger than 32" it probably also runs 1080p, and only buy HDMI cables online.

My brother and I bought a 42" 1080p 60hz Samsung from Smith's Marketplace for $450, so we could actually read the text on [insert game name here]. Best use of money between us so far.

With the holidays coming so close I can't really up the price range. Also I don't exactly know when my stipend is coming so I might be a little too late for Black Friday.

Vizio and Insignia are dirt cheap brands that work just fine. Go for one of those in the largest size you can afford. A plasma will be cheaper for a larger size and always happen to be on sale, but not worth it in the long run. Find an LCD (or LED but not likely on your budget) with no frills like 3D or "smart" features.

De-Ting said:
Lethean said:

That isn't near as much of an issue as it used to be and the power usage is minimal in the grand scheme of things. You get deeper blacks, better off angle viewing, truer, more accurate colour reproduction and better handling of motion.

used44 said:
Vizio and Insignia are dirt cheap brands that work just fine. Go for one of those in the largest size you can afford. A plasma will be cheaper for a larger size and always happen to be on sale, but not worth it in the long run. Find an LCD (or LED but not likely on your budget) with no frills like 3D or "smart" features.

Why not? Just because Panasonic will no longer be manufacturing plasmas in 2014 doesn't mean it's a poor investment. If anything it helps. When Pioneer stopped making the Kuro Elite it did wonders for it's resale value. It's been 5 years since that TV was made and they still sell for around 3K used and TVs are now just matching it in terms of picture quality.

The only complaint I have about plasmas is glare in the lower end models. Some of them will not have any ar coating or screen so it can be like looking at a mirror.

De-Ting said:
Lethean said:

Not anymore. That's been fixed a long time ago, and they are the superior television display.

Also, I agree with Lethean, upping your budget to 300-400 will open up a ton of really good television options.

Green_Lantern said:
De-Ting said:
Lethean said:

Not anymore. That's been fixed a long time ago, and they are the superior television display.

Also, I agree with Lethean, upping your budget to 300-400 will open up a ton of really good television options.

I'm really tempted to put that part in my sig...I think that is a first from you ;)

Lethean is correct. Burn in image isnt really a issue anymore on current year plasmas.
Blacks are indeed much better on plasmas. Except for OLED which are only now coming onto market this year.
Real black, super thin, super energy efficient, they even are making tvs that are big and bend into a curved shape.(I prefer mine flat though.)

I think Im just going to wait for 4k OLED.

I personally wouldn't want a plasma again because 1) large plasmas are heavy as shit, and 2) my last plasma crapped out. I think LEDs have a longer lifespan. Plasma blacks may be better but not worth it to me.

Also, being glass faced, glare is an issue in a place where the sun never sets.

used44 said:
I personally wouldn't want a plasma again because 1) large plasmas are heavy as shit, and 2) my last plasma crapped out. I think LEDs have a longer lifespan. Plasma blacks may be better but not worth it to me.

Also, being glass faced, glare is an issue in a place where the sun never sets.

I was able to lift my 60 inch onto the base and then lift it onto the T.V stand without any help at all. And I'm not that strong. I'm actually fat and out of shape. Also, the longevity has been fixed on many of them and they have about 10,000 hours of viewing time before any loss of P.Q.

I only know this stuff because I researched the hell out of TVs before I bought a new one. But yes, in a very bright room or a room with lots of windows, glare would be an issue.

I have a "heavy as Shit" 44" plasma tv and it's lasted me a good 6 years now. Although used is right about the glare, it can get annoying. But luckily the sun does set here and my apartment faces the sunrise. So during the sunset it's never an issue.

If I were to get a new one though I would consider stepping up to an LCD.

used44 said:
God my 50 inch plasma was like 200 pounds.

Wow. That is heavy. I looked mine up and it weighs 78.3Lbs with the stand on.

I was wrong in my earlier post by the way. It's around 60,000 hours not 10k.

Really, LED will be good enough picture quality for most people. I only mentioned plasmas because they are generally cheaper and it will open up a lot more options for you. Maybe. Depending on budget flexibility. Honestly, if money is tight, there are few things I would buy used but a T.V is one of the things I would. Check out craigslist or EBay.

When I got my 32 in LCD Sanyo few years ago, I was bit skeptical about LED tvs. I really disliked LED, because you couldn't look at it from the side due to picture being negative. Maybe they fixed this or maybe I'm thinking of something else. I think it was OLED Sourdeez mentioned that has be picture color than LCD.

Like Lethean mentioned, wait until Black Friday or my personal favorite, cyber Monday. However, if you're going to get something during Black Friday. Say goodbye to your Thanksgiving meal.

Buy a projector on Black Friday w/ a Bose sound system.

It'll be cheaper and better then any TV you can get

UghRochester said:
When I got my 32 in LCD Sanyo few years ago, I was bit skeptical about LED tvs. I really disliked LED, because you couldn't look at it from the side due to picture being negative. Maybe they fixed this or maybe I'm thinking of something else. I think it was OLED Sourdeez mentioned that has be picture color than LCD.

Like Lethean mentioned, wait until Black Friday or my personal favorite, cyber Monday. However, if you're going to get something during Black Friday. Say goodbye to your Thanksgiving meal.

That's because of the panel. There's this talk.of a "panel lottery" with LCD tvs because you take a gamble. Many have an IPS panel but some don't. It isn't always model dependent either. The same model can have an IPS panel while another of the same.model will not. IPS drastically improves off angle viewing.

Also, I agree and disagree with Urban. Projectors are awesome. If you're okay with not getting the same PQ then get a cheap projector. Also, without a good screen, prepare to be even more limited in your viewing environment than with a plasma. But if you want a big ass screen, and really, who doesn't, get a projector. I wouldn't recommend one for movies and gaming unless you we're looking at at least 750 to spend though.

As for Bose....Can get a lot better for the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod