Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XBOX360

• PC

• All I own is a Wii, FML

• Total voters
I never said anything about the article. I said we, not "Tom Bissell".
Clearly, you're the one who lacks comprehensive reading skills.

Good read, and he did have some valid points. I do have a disagreement here and there though.

Max has never been a self-pitying character. Since we were first introduced to the man, he has wandered the earth with the knowledge that he doesn't just have one, but both feet in the grave. The man should've been dead a long time ago, and quite frankly it just seems that he is pushing on towards that inevitable moment. That kind of weight, bearing on a man, could undoubtedly lead to the jaded and malicious person that he becomes.

As far as the violence being over the top, to the point that the author claimed after a serious session it led to him feeling aggravated, is completely irresponsible on his part. Could it be it wasn't the hours of violence, but the fact that he was being forced out into a social situation that led to his unpleasantness? Those of us who have perused the news here for a long time, or those who have done their research, have seen the accusations about video games and violence leveled time and time again. Here, he gives them a quote that we might likely see for years to come.

As far as no one "enjoying" it. Kiss my ass. I enjoyed the hell out of it for 3 days, and I intend to enjoy it even more.

I find it funny Bissel is bringing up Ludonarrative Dissodence to explain a disconnect from the narrative and the gameplay, when the reality is most games do that already to a degree which is nauseating.

And those that don't, that match the narrative and gameplay, get panned for it.

Gotta love a conundrum like that.

I also think hes a bit off on the game being so hardcore and brutal. All the video I have seen of it with killing and shooting and what not looks like any other third person shooter/action title. Then again I haven't played it (and I doubt I will any time soon...) but thats me.

It's not even a harsh critique. Max Payne 3 embraces its ludonarrative dissonance. It's more of a problem of the plot not holding up its end of the bargain.

And I like the game much more than him too. But it's not like he's shredding it, or even trying to create this huge flaw. He's just continuing the discussion.

Honestly I didn't find Max to be "too self-pityish", I mean if my wife and newborn baby were murdered and I had no chance of saving them I'd be a pile of s*** too. Constantly losing someone, unable to save them no matter how hard he tries can bring down a man. Sure there were moments where I thought "Max get your act together" but I think that's because every action hero ever has always been this miraculous healer who can have the darkest past but somehow get past the huge psychological burden and kill the bad guy. I felt like Max was a bit more real about it. And with his death always on his mind I've felt like it's something Max has always wanted but is cheated out of, wanting to die but never being able to.

I don't know I liked the story and the direction of the plot. Sure it's not GOTY material but it'd helluva lot better than most games out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod