Getting the most mileage out of your pickles

The other day I bought a jar Claussen Kosher Dills. They are the best damn pickles you can buy. I ate them all because they were so good. Yesterday I bought a cucumber, sliced it up, and threw 'em in the pickle juice in the jar and placed the jar in the back of the fridge. In a few weeks I should have delicious pickles, no?

Now, I have never heard of anyone doing this before. If it were a good idea, I would have heard about it, and it would be a common practice. If it were a bad idea, I would have heard about why it is bad. And I cant believe that I am the first person to ever do this. So is this a good idea? What are some other uses for pickle juice (besides flavoring deviled eggs)?

I think you'll have soggy, pickle-flavored cucumbers -- not true pickles. I'm no pickle expert, but the process is more complicated than that. It involves brine at room temperature, in absolute darkness, and the acidity of your brine has probably already been mostly absorbed by the original pickles. Don't think you can successfully reuse the juice.

Maybe add some more vinegar to the pickle juice. But it doesn't matter, I doubt you can match the majesty of a firm and crisp Claussen.

I don't remember the last time I had a pickle. I eat jalapenos now, whole, and chipped on my PB&J sammiches.

But more vinegar sounds good. You should experiment with this stuff. If you've never heard about it, in my case, it's probably a good idea.

De-Ting said:
I don't remember the last time I had a pickle. I eat jalapenos now, whole, and chipped on my PB&J sammiches.
WTF? I can't complain, I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs and on my macaroni & cheese.

Skating rinks used to sell frozen pickle juice from an ice cube tray for 50¢ a pop. Picklesicles, held with a toothpick frozen through the middle.
Maybe you could find someone to sell them to and get your money back to buy more pickles? Or just enjoy them for yourself. They're not bad at all, especially if you like pickles.

kapow said:
pickle juice? drink it

Seconded

UghRochester said:
De-Ting said:
WTF? I can't complain, I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs and on my macaroni & cheese.

Ugh, in the USA that's common practice. You're not weird, you're just American.

Homemade pickles will hands down rape any store-bought pickle. Yes, I get to enjoy homemade pickles any time I want. The crunchiest, pickliest pickle you've ever had.

No, you can't make pickles that way. You can pickle just about anything though. Found a recipe to use watermelon rinds instead of pickles, pretty damn good, would never know it was watermelon.

Hey, I have none of the above, TNO, and I'm American. And honestly, with some of your posts that undeserved sense of superiority goes right onto you... sure you're not American too?

Think before you stereotype

used44 said:
Everything tno knows about Anericans he learned from The Red Green Show.
There's two things wrong with that statement, unless you just randomly started talking about Canadians, and Canadians are somehow also known as Anericans. :p

De-Ting said:
used44 said:
Everything tno knows about Anericans he learned from The Red Green Show.
There's two things wrong with that statement, unless you just randomly started talking about Canadians, and Canadians are somehow also known as Anericans. :p

Oops, Americans.

And I meant how they probably portrayed Americans with mid-Nineties stereotypes on that show, I dunno. Also, he only has three tv channels, so he probably watches a shitload of Red Green. It's a deep joke. Let's just pretend it was hilarious.

schimmel said:
Hey, I have none of the above, TNO, and I'm American. And honestly, with some of your posts that undeserved sense of superiority goes right onto you... sure you're not American too?

Oh, no, my superiority is completely earned.

Ok first off, how can you get mileage out of a pickle? This isn't a damn vehicle. What you should do with the pickle juice is try using it to enhance flavors for your favorite fried dishes. And secondly Red Green makes my dad lmao, my dad is a biker and Red Green should die...stupid duct tape.

trust_no_one said:
schimmel said:

Oh, no, my superiority is completely earned.

Orly?

UghRochester said:
De-Ting said:

Really!? I thought I was the only one!

EDIT:
schimmel said:
Ugh, in the USA that's common practice. You're not weird, you're just American.

:( I'm not special anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod