Getting the most mileage out of your pickles

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GiftedMonkey, May 22, 2010.

1. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

The other day I bought a jar Claussen Kosher Dills. They are the best damn pickles you can buy. I ate them all because they were so good. Yesterday I bought a cucumber, sliced it up, and threw 'em in the pickle juice in the jar and placed the jar in the back of the fridge. In a few weeks I should have delicious pickles, no?

Now, I have never heard of anyone doing this before. If it were a good idea, I would have heard about it, and it would be a common practice. If it were a bad idea, I would have heard about why it is bad. And I cant believe that I am the first person to ever do this. So is this a good idea? What are some other uses for pickle juice (besides flavoring deviled eggs)?

2. kapow

kapow Regular

pickle juice? drink it

3. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you'll have soggy, pickle-flavored cucumbers -- not true pickles. I'm no pickle expert, but the process is more complicated than that. It involves brine at room temperature, in absolute darkness, and the acidity of your brine has probably already been mostly absorbed by the original pickles. Don't think you can successfully reuse the juice.

4. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Maybe add some more vinegar to the pickle juice. But it doesn't matter, I doubt you can match the majesty of a firm and crisp Claussen.

5. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I don't remember the last time I had a pickle. I eat jalapenos now, whole, and chipped on my PB&J sammiches.

But more vinegar sounds good. You should experiment with this stuff. If you've never heard about it, in my case, it's probably a good idea.

6. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

WTF? I can't complain, I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs and on my macaroni & cheese.

7. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

Skating rinks used to sell frozen pickle juice from an ice cube tray for 50¢ a pop. Picklesicles, held with a toothpick frozen through the middle.
    Maybe you could find someone to sell them to and get your money back to buy more pickles? Or just enjoy them for yourself. They're not bad at all, especially if you like pickles.

8. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

Seconded

Ugh, in the USA that's common practice. You're not weird, you're just American.

9. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Rookie

Homemade pickles will hands down rape any store-bought pickle. Yes, I get to enjoy homemade pickles any time I want. The crunchiest, pickliest pickle you've ever had.

No, you can't make pickles that way. You can pickle just about anything though. Found a recipe to use watermelon rinds instead of pickles, pretty damn good, would never know it was watermelon.

10. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

What's the difference?

11. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Rookie

Being American involves diminished IQ, undeserved sense of superiority, severe obesity...shall I continue?

12. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

Hey, I have none of the above, TNO, and I'm American. And honestly, with some of your posts that undeserved sense of superiority goes right onto you... sure you're not American too?

Think before you stereotype

13. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Everything tno knows about Anericans he learned from The Red Green Show.

14. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

There's two things wrong with that statement, unless you just randomly started talking about Canadians, and Canadians are somehow also known as Anericans. :p

15. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Not a fan of pickles too much....sorry.

16. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Oops, Americans.

And I meant how they probably portrayed Americans with mid-Nineties stereotypes on that show, I dunno. Also, he only has three tv channels, so he probably watches a shitload of Red Green. It's a deep joke. Let's just pretend it was hilarious.

17. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Rookie

Oh, no, my superiority is completely earned.

18. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

Ok first off, how can you get mileage out of a pickle? This isn't a damn vehicle. What you should do with the pickle juice is try using it to enhance flavors for your favorite fried dishes. And secondly Red Green makes my dad lmao, my dad is a biker and Red Green should die...stupid duct tape.

19. Hlallu

Hlallu Rookie

Orly?

20. miak757

miak757 Regular

Really!? I thought I was the only one!

EDIT:
    :( I'm not special anymore.