What album got you into your favortie band?

WickedLiquid

Regular
And what album would you recommend to get people into a band you love?

For me it was 10 years ago when one of my good friends who was always hip to the scene (BEFORE it was cool to be a hipster) asked if I had ever heard of Radiohead. I remembered they were that band with a few singles I loved but could never really get into. I said I loved those songs Paranoid Android, Karma Police and Just but could never really get into them.

It was then that my fellow 16 year old classmate put on Kid A and my blown was blown. I soon went out and bought Kid A and was addicted to it's bizarre yet catchy tunes. Soon after I picked up Amnesiac and then gave OK Computer a chance and fell in love. Ever since then they've been my favortie band.

So what's your story?

Hmmm, this was quite hard to think about. But I deduced in the end that I dont really have a favourite band!

I recently got Yellowcard's album "Paper Walls", which I believe is awesome. And it reignited my love for them when I was in the teen years. Whilst literally every song in the album is pretty much about love and loss, it's a very good listen. Give it a preview if you're into that thing.

=========================================================================================================================================================
Lethean, it is time. Time for you to relinquish all titles and admin rights back to GR.
You were the worst leader at the worst time, but your time is now over. You must give back everything that you have taken, a sacrifice unto the gods who've watched over us since our humble beginnings.
As you well know, this is part of the circle of life for those who take up the mantle of a GR admin*; you aren't the first and will not be the last. Moderators the likes of tno, Kaanch, maca2kx and so on, have all come and gone during our time. Now it is your time, and you too must go, forever.
This is the way it's always been, the die is cast. It is your time to leave us.
You may log in once every 7 months with a 2 thread maximum, 3 post maximum allocation, but nothing more as is tradition.

Lethean, my good man, you were the worst leader at the worst time. Wait, I've said that already, though it bears repeating. Don't bother Googling 'bears repeating', I'm correct in my spelling. We had expected, well, certainly not great things of you, no, but a modicum of competence, yes. You have not delivered. Under your reign of absolute horror and terror, our numbers have only dwindled. In a room of half a dozen or so, a dozen on a good day, you're the only one laughing at your jokes, and instead of a customary 'lol', you type 'lawl'. We're here to say No More. It's time. Into the volcano you go, you must pay the ultimate price.
As is tradition.

We won't forget you soon. Adios.

=========================================================================================================================================================
Any further action from this point on, including your acknowledgment or refusal of this thread or hide/deleting of this thread, shall be taken as a mark of compliance on your part.
flvg2x.png

Piano Tuners' Union, Local 412

*For the uninitiated, every so often, every 5 years or so, the members of the GR forums come together and decide which admin's to get thrown off the island.
Trust No One was thrown out by committee http://www.petitiononline.com/gr86tno/petition.html
Kaanchtoofan retired in disgrace after it had been learned he was abusing his powers and influence to foster a relationship with a real life ogre behind our backs.
maca2kx left when when Shane had stopped posting and his job was complete, the only moderator thus far to leave on a high note.
And Stal left after being stalked by Ugh. He legitimately feared for his life.

cd-cover.jpg

Instant nostalgia.

THIS is when I actually started listening to the words in songs and contemplating meaning. *sniff*

WickedLiquid said:
my blown was blown.

You know you're excited when you blow your blew.

On March 9th, 1997 Christopher George Latore Wallace was killed in a drive-by shooting. I had always enjoyed Biggie but never really got into his albums. Seeing how he had died I decided to go out and buy Ready to Die and add it to my CD collection. But by the time I was 3 tracks in I knew this was more than just your average hip-hop record. And from then on I was a huge fan.

By the time the album was over I no longer got jiggy with Will Smith ever again.

Hmm. I too can't really give a straight answer to this one, mostly because I've never really named any particular band as a favorite. The first album I remember captivating me as a kid was:
33m8y9v.jpg

Which was a band my sister was really into when she was in high school. Years down the line, I would come to realize that this isn't one of their better albums, but the sentimentality I feel when listening to it is undeniable.

I recall getting The Lost Highway Soundtrack due to it having NIN's Perfect Drug. On the album I heard these two heavy metal songs being sung in German by this band named Rammstein. They have been one of my favorite bands ever since.

All their albums are awesome, but for first timers I suggest looking up Mutter.

I'm excited to say that Rammstein is actually coming to Dallas in May. I got my tickets and I can't wait.

Paradox said:
I'm excited to say that Rammstein is actually coming to Dallas in May. I got my tickets and I can't wait.

I saw Rammstein live 2 weeks ago. Be prepared for hell of a show. I'm suprised that my eyebrows didn't burn off with all the pyro effects going on. Easily one of the best live shows I've been to and Rammstein isn't even one of my favorite bands.

Rammstein: Sehnsucht

I heard Du Hast and was intrigued. Then Engel and was sold. I bought this when I lived with my Neo-con stepfather where I was only allowed to listen to Christian music. Because I needed it.

Saw Rammstein in Toronto last year and it was the best ever. Humor, fire, and great music. Still plan on seeing them in Berlin in my lifetime.

I can't really single out a band as my favorite. I can single out a few favorite CD's though.

Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers/ Dr. Dre - The Chronic & The Chronic 2000
Some of the best hip hop/rap albums ever

Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
A compilation of their first few CDs. One of the greatest punk albums ever.

Audioslave - Untitled
An epic listen, front to back.

I know it's cliche but Nevermind by Nirvana. I was too young to get into them when Kurt Cobain was still alive and was part of the whole post-grunge scene in the mid 90's. Not only did that album connect me to one of my favorite bands (nowadays I would say Unplugged in NY is their best album) but it swayed my opinion on music.

Before Nevermind I listened to crap like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice (I was young, don't act like you were perfect). Nevermind converted me into a rocker and opened my eyes to the 90's generation of rock music.

Depeche_Mode_-_Violator.jpg

Before I found Depeche Mode's Violator album, I would usually only listen to a couple of songs on a cassette. This one broke the mold and had me listening beginning to end. It also launched me into an exploration of their past albums and has had me purchasing new albums for the next decade. Also, considering the fact that I own and have purchased it on three mediums, this is easily my favorite album from one of my favorite groups. On top of containing some of their most popular songs (Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence, Policy of Truth), it has some real hidden treasures and personal favorites (Clean, Waiting for the Night) for me as well.

Other notable mentions: Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy by the Refreshments, Grassroots by 311, Self-titled Third Eye Blind (hate all you want), Clarity by Jimmy Eat World, The Colour and the Shape by Foo Fighters

So when I was a college freshman, the Pixies played a show there. I had never really listened to them, but I went to the concert because they sounded like the kind of band a kid new to college looking to expand his mind, man, would really dig. So I went, and I was blown away. It may sound cliche, but it changed the way I thought about music. I got their first album, Surfer Rosa, and the rest is history.

Sorry, no bewbs allowed - Wicked (btw Pixies are freaking awesome)

Surfer Rosa (their first full length album) is an awesome album, but I think Doolittle (their second record) is better, and also a better introduction for someone looking to get into them.

If the picture can't be up there because of the boobies, the mods can go ahead and remove it. But they would have to live with the fact that they're like, deleting art, man.

And Bret, I'm not gonna hate on you for 3EB. Their debut was the first CD I ever bought. I actually own all of their albums (on CD--no downloads for me) and I've seen them in concert too--only once, though.

Had this a few different times.

Most recent one was probably Immersion by Pendulum.
Never really heard of them before, then Immersion came along and i was hooked.

Renegades got me to listen to more RATM in general.

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces got me into Seether, before Disclaimer became my favorite.

Heard K.O.D and a few songs from Everready which got me into more, older Tech stuff.

Slip of the Tongue was the entire reason i came to like Whitesnake.

City of Evil got me into A7X.

Sea-Change said:
This album dropped while I was an exchange student in Japan. That weekend I rant out to Osaka and paid $50 in yen for it. Every time I listen to it I still get transported back to that country.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod