Can I make jam out of this?

GRColin

Rookie
So I tried making osme blueberry cookie balls but messed it all up. I threw all the ingredients in the oven anyways at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and it's kind of this thick, yet delicious texture. (I mixed it in the blender on the mix setting because mixing it by hand did not allow me to err...Rub the stuff into balls contrary to how the recipe said it would.) If I throw it all in a jar in the fridge will it turn out to be a decent jam?

I don't even know why the hell I'm asking you guys but I figure there's some people who are pretty good in the kitchen here.

The ingredients used are:

2 egg whites
5 cups blueberries
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw honey

Just out of curiosity and probably won't answer your question, but was this combination cooked before placing in the jar? I wouldn't like to have raw egg whites in anything, because it might cause salmonella.

Yeah I'm cooking it beforehand. The recipe says to mix the egg whites til frothy then add all the ingredients, mix them and use the dough to make them into balls and cook for 15 minutes at 350 degrees but...The ingredients were anything but "doughy" so I just mixed it in the blender. Dumb move. So now I'm cooking it all anyways trying to figure out how to salvage what was 5 cups of blueberries. (That shit isn't cheap!)

UghRochester said:
Just out of curiosity and probably won't answer your question, but was this combination cooked before placing in the jar? I wouldn't like to have raw egg whites in anything, because it might cause salmonella.

did you know the odds of getting salmonella from a raw egg are like 0.1%

the old lady i work fors favorite treat is an egg nog, non alcoholic of course. i've been here for 5-6 years, she nearly drinks one daily. at first i was like wtf bro ur gonna get sick. 1800 egg nogs later, she hasnt been sick once.

just a raw egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar whisked up.

as for the question at hand.. i would just omit the egg whites. i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the egg sitting for a long period of time but I could be wrong about that.

if you don't like the texture without the egg whites, try some gelatin instead of egg whites. no reason any of the other ingredients would be a problem though.

intoTheRain said:
UghRochester said:

did you know the odds of getting salmonella from a raw egg are like 0.1%

the old lady i work fors favorite treat is an egg nog, non alcoholic of course. i've been here for 5-6 years, she nearly drinks one daily. at first i was like wtf bro ur gonna get sick. 1800 egg nogs later, she hasnt been sick once.

just a raw egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar whisked up.

This.

So many ingredients call for raw eggs when it comes to blended beverages or cocktails. It's even less likely with organic eggs I imagine. (Even if it isn't they're of higher quality and from what I can tell even taste better.)

Makes sense. I know tons of drunks who drink a raw egg every morning. They don't even throw up.
Eggs contain large amounts of cysteine, the substance that breaks down the hangover-causing toxin acetaldehyde in the liver's easily depleted glutathione.

I agree with just leaving the eggs out though. The rest of your ingredients should be dope.

p.s. I have no idea how jam is really made.

to be honest that does sound like an extremely strange recipe, how those would ever turn into cookies i don't know. where did you get it from?

I wouldn't jam with that jam.

The way I make jams is just the berries, water and gelling sugar. Adding anything extra in there sounds a bit iffy. Especially eggs. The flavorings you have used seem alright though, but sugar is the key to preservation. Otherwise you'll soon find moldy jars in your fridge.

My only advice would be investing in a real mixer. Using a blender for mixing doughy balls guarantees bad results. I personally like the kitchenaid mixer. It's more expensive than the regular black and decker type handmixers, but it's so much better. You can see the difference in everything you mix and whip. creamier results with the kitchenaid, but anything's better than a blender.

While I love blueberries, they're a bit too strong for making jam. Try raspberry or strawberry, but adding honey sounds good. Maybe a honey blueberry combo would work. Cooking and creating stuff in the kitchen isn't easy, so don't feel too bad about that 5 cups of blueberries. It sort of comes with the territory. Except for middle-aged women of random ethnicity who seem to have been born with the ability to prepare the respected dishes of their culture, you know the ones. Those women are geniuses, I say.

Optimus-Crime said:
While I love blueberries, they're a bit too strong for making jam.

I find that plain blueberry goes well with salty foods just like lingonberry and blackcurrant jams. But if you're looking for something sweeter, do half rasperry, half blueberry. We call it the Queen jam here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod