Albeit Late.... ACA Questions Answered (Plus Cthulhu)

blobbohen

Rookie
So I leave for a little less than a month to come back and find that my thread about Obamacare became the site of a cthulhu-esque altar with a photo of Ron Paul in his release form found at its nexus. Getsuga Tenshou? Interestingly enough, I also found that the thread had been locked.

Nevertheless, I'll abide by what GRandmaster danielrbischoff stated and take caution to avoid setting off anyone's sensibilities in here (never my primary intention, for the record) simply by not addressing anyone directly or indirectly that might get miffed. Your forum, your rules so I don't intend to mess with the DM lest you summon the Tarrasque.

Back in that thread I said that I'd respond to any questions and there appear to have been a few that, while not explicitly asked, were evident enough to me in the back and forth banter. Or perhaps I conjured them from nothing. Whatever the case I'll keep the answers concise and post a link to a source that addresses the comment if there's one that is applicable. If I were able to answer the questions in that same thread I would have but, again, since it was locked I've started this. I don't consider this thread political spam since gamers require healthcare insurance about as much as anyone in the U.S. Those working in the industry sometimes sound like they could use a hand, too. So here goes again....

Quotes taken from the other thread:

Icepick said:
I, along with anyone else that lives in the free world, can't fathom why you don't want universal healthcare, not only do you not want it, you become very angry when the subject is brought up....

People are afraid of what they don't understand, and since the U.S. only tries to reform its healthcare insurance system every 15-20 years it's not a discussion that happens very often. So it was good this attempt succeeded. For what it's worth Tommy Douglas (one of my personal heroes), the man responsible for Canada's universal coverage, was nick-named "Tommy the Commie" by his detractors when first brought up the idea. That kind of McCarthyism happens here in the U.S. anytime universal coverage is brought up, and this principle more or less guarantees that it will keep happening. Younger people here do not demonize socialized medicine the way that the elderly do, though. That gives me hope.

Paradox said:
An individual may have their own insurance and be on their parents. One plan is set as primary and the other secondary. The primary is billed, and the remainder is sent to the secondary. The doctor or pharmacy gets payment and the dual-insured individual saves cost.

Sounds like a pretty snazzy deal to me as long as it gets the person's costs covered. I don't know of anything in Obamacare that would interfere with that kind of arrangement going down. If anything I'd say the insurance exchanges would give you a more centralized place to shop around for insurance if you wanted to go the dual route. Until they get set up in 2014 I can't say that I know for sure, though.

NickKmet said:
I read an interesting article somewhere, and I don't know where anymore, that really detailed for me why healthcare is so expensive here. They included a chart of prices for various medical services, like getting a MRI. What was astounding to me is that insurance companies were in many cases paying 3-4 times as much as it would cost to simply go to the hospital and pay for one yourself.

Business practices like that are done, as you can guess, to make a profit. And that's what the focus is on with healthcare insurance in the U.S. as opposed to the focus being on the patient. 45,000 people die a year here because they've got no insurance at all, sometimes losing it after being bled dry by the whole process. In addition to that the uninsured generally use the emergency room as their doctor and, with no means to pay, the cost is left for the hospital to eat. Guess what methods they try to use to cover that kind of problem? Probably something similar to what your remark mentioned. Getting people insured sooner will help avoid situations like that that ultimately everyone ends up paying for.

Icepick said:
I just don't understand where the anger against the change is coming from, do you enjoy dealing with financial misery while trying to recover from an injury, or are you worried you wont be able to jump infront of drivers and sue for medical costs anymore?

I quoted from Icepick again because, well, he was on fire with that remark. My family in Canada does not go through the fear of their medical bills bankrupting them. In the U.S. medical costs are the leading cause of bankruptcy for individuals.

That sucks. And it's not the way anyone should have to live.

There's eventually going to have be a time when the U.S. makes the switch to universal coverage but until it does Obamacare is what we've got. And as a step in the right direction towards universal coverage I support it.

tl;dr Regardless of whether this thread gets locked, deleted, or otherwise tampered with I was happy to provide info to GR about what's contained in Obamacare. If anyone is annoyed by political posts then I guess another thread is where you should be. Gamers need healthcare insurance as much as anyone else and since I don't post on many forums I started a thread here. And I had such fun.

Have a good one, GR. And in case this thread is obliterated (for whatever reason) here's another spot for the info if you can catch the link before it disappears with this thread: http://pastebin.com/gBuDX5P5

Good night and good luck.

1. Texan looking for a loophole here. Since Rick Perry seems to be opting out of any provisions, is there a chance we Texans could begin shopping in this new lower-rate insurance pool, lower rates maybe brought about by a government voucher program, or is it pointless if Texas doctors aren't accepting of these new insurance providers? In this case would insurance go state-by-state or nationwide?
2. Is there a chance the track could bend?
3. What about us braindead slobs?
4. Were you sent here by the devil?

I was not aware Rick Perry was up to such shenanigans. Jerk ass. As someone who works in the healthcare industry, I was hoping for some positive changes.

Yep. But it makes for a great platform for his next opponent to run on. Texas is gonna turn blue in our lifetime, and Perry opting out of the ACA is a pretty great catalyst.
http://letterstotheeditorblog.dallasnew ... t-t-4.html
We're going to be paying into the system without receiving anything in return. How do you like your tax dollars not working for you? It sucks.

There's still a chance he could change his mind, but I doubt it. He's openly come out against it even after the ruling. Perry had counted on SCOTUS knocking down Obamacare, he admitted to not even beginning to work on a health insurance exchange. What's worse is he has no solution on how to lower the problem of our state's uninsured even while the answer stares him in the face.

pffbt, Texas.

cyberjim2000 said:
2. Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
3. You'll be given cushy jobs.
4. No, sir. I'm on the level.

Mono~- wait.

I swear it's Springfield's only choice
throw up your hands and raise your voice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle