Occupy Wall Street

blobbohen

Rookie
Hello out there. This will be quick.

What have your thoughts and level of involvement been with this global phenomenon of Occupy Wall Street and its splinter movements, world of GR? I can recall more than a few threads in here that lamented how lacking in disruptive passion the population of the U.S. is- but that certainly appears to have changed, to say the least. Every day I'm hearing of another city or another country taking to the streets to express their outrage and demands, and I really don't think this could have happened soon enough.

So the question is simple: anyone dive into one of these uprisings, yet?

Political threads suck....

I will add, though, that I really hope these people don't actually believe they will get what they want...Cause that's never gonna happen.

We had an Occupy Westlake event occur here in seattle, where high school kids marched out of class and met up to protest some shit or something.. i dunno I didn't go to it.

De-Ting said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Nope. Nothing in saint louis.
You got that right. :roll:

I know, because we stomped the brewers THERE. Bitches. Woo.

We got an Arch..and some boeings..and, uh, a brown river. Enterprise rent-a-car is headquartered here!

But yeah, these "99%" OWS folks are more like .01% of the population. Even if 5% give a shit, it's still meaningless. Living in this country is still the better than anywhere else in the world outside of wicked's house. Entitled scrubs should protest the federal govt, if anything.

Used just won post of the year.

Also, I think the better thing to say is "Don't get a liberal arts degree without a plan or being able to actually think. Goddamn."

There's a shitload of good stuff you can do with a liberal arts degree. If you aren't an idiot, that is.

NickKmet said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Enterprise rent-a-car is headquartered here!

That's not something you should be proud of.

Quiet Number 2
tumblr_l5ma5owoLv1qbyfvlo1_500.png

Longo_2_guns said:
There's a shitload of good stuff you can do with a liberal arts degree. If you aren't an idiot, that is.

But of course. but most don't, and the value of the degree is cheapened by who the PC obsessed colleges allow to pass. A fellow with a 4th grade reading/writing level graduated with the same degree I received, for example (he was in my class). It's just not right. Protest colleges if anything. I have a BA in history. You can guess how many other BA's you're competing with by counting how many you have in an upper level class, and then multiplying it by 10 thousand. There are three BA's in history in this tiny community alone.

Basic supply and demand; we don't need 50 thousand graphic designers and philosophers.

tinymhg said:
I was wondering when this would pop up in the forums here at GR. So, I guess I know now.

This.

And this.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Don't get a liberal arts degree. Problem solved.

Although I would think graphic designers with some web knowledge would be in high demand. I know they are here in sillicon valley.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Basic supply and demand; we don't need 50 thousand graphic designers and philosophers.
Again, I think you should add on the end "Especially the ones who can't design or philosophize."

Though I agree with most everything you say. My degree will more than likely be in Native American studies. I plan law school after, but am open to anything should all else fail. Because you can't get a degree with a set goal, because what if you fuck up?

Look, I don't agree with bailouts for big business and poverty could have been ended with all the money thrown at them but come on...Protesting?

I mean, I get the cause, I really do but...Protesting? Here's an idea - If big wall street pisses you off so much, close down your Bank of America or Chase bank accounts, cut up your credit cards, sell your stock options, open an account at a local credit union and then protest. Nothing makes me laugh more than these people camping out, missing work, doing whatever the fuck else they're doing, holding up their signs trying to damn the man and save the Empire...And then walking into my work (Chase.) and not only make a deposit but buy a money order. Really? They hate the big businesses and what happens on Wall Street yet they still use the goods and services of these very companies they're protesting.

What has the President or any politician of significance said about this whole ordeal? I haven't even really heard of it making the splash it seems these people had hoped. Then again, I have been living under a current events rock lately.

Throwing money at the poor doesn't work. We've been doing that shit forever; still poor folks!

Pulling yourself out of poverty is entirely up to oneself. No amount of money can fix poverty, education, war, etc. Just doesn't work.

Merit does.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Throwing money at the poor doesn't work. We've been doing that s*** forever; still poor folks!

Pulling yourself out of poverty is entirely up to oneself. No amount of money can fix poverty, education, war, etc. Just doesn't work.

Merit does.

I agree and disagree. Not everyone can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and succeed. And not everyone needs the social assistance they're getting.

But way to ignore the part of my post you'd actually agree with :p.

^no need to point out perfection.

sexy man. I'm protesting Lethean, for being too sexy. Hogging up the sexy resources in this forum. 99%'er!

Lethean said:
What has the President or any politician of significance said about this whole ordeal? I haven't even really heard of it making the splash it seems these people had hoped. Then again, I have been living under a current events rock lately.

Plenty of stuff has been said. The President came out in support. Democratic congressional leaders have come out in support. Republicans have not come out in support. Eric Cantor called the protesters in New York a mob.

Gotta read more, bro.

NickKmet said:
Lethean said:

Plenty of stuff has been said. The President came out in support. Democratic congressional leaders have come out in support. Republicans have not come out in support. Eric Cantor called the protesters in New York a mob.

Gotta read more, bro.

Yeah. Between my full time classes, work, 7 month old daughter I have got to spend more time reading the paper and watching the news. :p Nah. I'll just come here and get the info from you guys! Everyone here is 100% accurate in what they say, with no bias!

>_>

<_<

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod