You NEED to see this

Liberty University... founded by non other than the late Jerry Falwell.. good riddance.

a lot of schools teach it as a philosophy, but being taught as a science is just WRONG! and you cant excuse it.

UrbanMasque said:
Liberty University... founded by non other than the late Jerry Falwell.. good riddance.

a lot of schools teach it as a philosophy, but being taught as a science is just WRONG! and you cant excuse it.

Ok, then whoever wrote that news program is a fear mongering moron. Liberty University definitely does not constitute nor represent the vast majority of American Universities. It's probably the most conservative university in existence, and I would not be surprised that creationism is taught there.

OK, I finally watched the video and skimmed the comments here.

I just want to say that I think it's great this university exists. I don't care what they study. If they think it's of value, then great. But it's cool that alternate places of study like this exist, however naive it may be.

NickKmet said:
UrbanMasque said:

Ok, then whoever wrote that news program is a fear mongering moron. Liberty University definitely does not constitute nor represent the vast majority of American Universities. It's probably the most conservative university in existence, and I would not be surprised that creationism is taught there.

It is a fringe group. As I stated already.

Sigh.

StalfrosCC said:
NickKmet said:
UrbanMasque said:

Sigh.

Oh, i know Ted. It's just funny that the news broadcast was making it sound as though this was a growing trend at American Universities. It isn't. At all.

StalfrosCC said:

Sigh.

Stal, I'm not being combative, but you can't write these people off as Fringe loonies.
They vote in DROVES! and they are gaining traction in this country. That is why i'm so adamant about ridiculing their stance on anything. ANYTHING! Not the best or most diplomatic tactic in dealing with debate but it makes people see its ok to call something stupid - when it is in fact STUPID!

Liberty Univ. is probably NOT the only school with this curriculum, but it is the biggest so that's why this story is news. IMO, This "fringe" group won't be fringe for very long, not because they have a strong base, but b/c people on the fence "see no harm" in crap like this.

If you look up how many schools have creationism in their course structure you probably wont find many aside from small rural comm colleges or Lib univ., but if you look up "christian theology" or even more modern "Christian apologetics" then the amount of schools you find will dramatically increase. And its basically the SAME FIELD OF STUDY

Yeah, again, you are lumping these guys in with Religious Right voters.

All Creationists are probably in the Religious Right, not all of the Religious Right are Creationists.

Pretty easy to understand.

Also, Christian Theology and Christian Apologetics have NOTHING to do with Creationism as a field of study. Not a goddamnned thing. Please Urban, I think you are smarter than this.

Fuck, I went to Abilene Christian University. My wife has her degree from there in Psychology. It has a Bible chair that has masters and doctoral degrees in Christian Ministry. I took classes as electives in these departments... I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. The study of Christian Theology is not "OMG CREATION SCIENCE" it is the study of a theology. Just like the study of Eastern Theology or World Religions or Philosophy are courses. It is more akin to history and sociology than anything.

Just a side note, the most liberal and progressive and down right open minded people at this university teach and learn in the Bible program. Deep in the heart of Texas. At the center of a "OMG CHRISTIAN SCHOOL".

Please.

(Again, I don't get the anger at people who debate a topic in a forum... it is what forums are for. It is their direct purpose. Urban and I would have never met and had this discussion if it wasn't for a forum- it truly makes the world smaller! I'm not angry at Urban and I'm sure he isn't angry at me, we are just discussing a topic we are passionate about.)

Please. Boobies.

Let me say this.

I didn't read the whole thread, so screw off if I missed something...

But apparently there is a movement to teach creationism and religious studies in public schools across the U.S now. This is not a fringe group, this is a group that is becoming a nusience with psuedo-science and confusing tactics, along with school boards who want to add this because it is missing from our society.

So don't write it off. Yeah we may see them as crazy for miscontruding facts, but it doesn't mean that they will go away and it is not something we should ignore.

And I would take the opposite stance and say you are seeing it sensationalized in the news a lot, but they aren't as prevalent as you think. If you would have read all the posts you would know those are the two stances in this topic.

Here is a correlation. There are a lot of Muslims in this country... they aren't all terrorists. However, watching the news would make you think they are, now wouldn't it?

No, but at the same there are no muslims in the U.S at least openly professing their faith either in front of a camera, or going the extremist route and saying death to America and Christianity. Nor is there any except maybe the extrme sects saying that the U.S is doing something wrong either. Most just keep to themselves like most of us do as well.

There is a major difference between reality and spirituality as well, and when one is being warped and eliminating the other, it becomes a problem. You can believe what you wish, but when it starts becoming a primary tool for teaching, it is infringing on beliefs all together.

Let me put it this way. If your kids go to public school and they teach religion there, and I don't mean all, I mean just Christianity like most schools are hoping to do (and there is a lot of splintering in that, but let's go for the extreme example.) how would you honestly feel?

This is what this feels like to me. These groups, and it doesn't matter if its Catholic or Jewish or Christian or Athiest, but these groups are distorting the reality of what people personally believe to accomplish a hacknyed goal of pure, dominant spirituality. They can feel like that if they wish, but they should let others feel like that as well, and that I take issue with, because it resonates hard in that video.

Haha, that's funny to think of.

Christians here talking all crazy.
Muslims in the middle east talking all crazy.

We watch those Muslims and think they're crazy.

I bet they watch us and think we're all crazy.

We're all crazy!

But you know what's better?

Crazy tits. Yeah.

Having faith in God, and believing God created the Earth does not make you an idiot. It's a totally plausible scenario, and no way in hell would I ever call out someone for believing that.

Denying evolution is stupid, and if you do do it, you are stupid. Unless you weren't taught what evolution is, then you're ignorant, and no harm done.

If you are aware of what evolution is and capable of understanding it, yet still not believe it, you are stupid.

Rakon said:
Having faith in God, and believing God created the Earth does not make you an idiot. It's a totally plausible scenario, and no way in hell would I ever call out someone for believing that.

Denying evolution is stupid, and if you do do it, you are stupid. Unless you weren't taught what evolution is, then you're ignorant, and no harm done.

If you are aware of what evolution is and capable of understanding it, yet still not believe it, you are stupid.

The problem is that many people think that because you believe in 1 thing, it means you can't believe in the other.

Who's to say there isn't a God and Evolution is part of his design too?

<--------------------TOPIC KING!

madster111 said:
Who's to say there isn't a God and Evolution is part of his design too?

unless Adam and Eve we're microorganisms.. Evolution cannot co-exist with Creationism - there is ZERO compromise.

Yes Rakon, these people are NOT fringe.
faith-and-family-logo.jpg

UrbanMasque said:
unless Adam and Eve we're microorganisms.. Evolution cannot co-exist with Creationism - there is ZERO compromise.
No, Adam and Eve were humans.
And God created them.

Show me where it says he created them instantly?

Genesis 1 talks about 'days' in which he created the universe, the sun and the earth.
If we go by current scientific principles, his seconds would be thousands of years to us.

Thus he could have made humans almost instantly to him, which taking (our) millions of years of evolution.

madster111 said:
UrbanMasque said:
No, Adam and Eve were humans.
And God created them.

Show me where it says he created them instantly?

Genesis 1 talks about 'days' in which he created the universe, the sun and the earth.
If we go by current scientific principles, his seconds would be thousands of years to us.

Thus he could have made humans almost instantly to him, which taking (our) millions of years of evolution.
That's exactly what my preacher said to me when i asked him about that and also how evolution is a mean of how and not why. And yet, when there's a creationist vs evolutionist debate and i bring this up, both side call me crazy. Glad to know i'm not the only one.

Sometimes, the bonafide atheist treat folks like us like how creationist treat about evolution and basic logic for that matter.
Can't we pulled a Southpark and get rid of "ism"?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133