What are you listening to? (Music General)

Started collecting some vinyls recently after a buddy gave me his record player he was too lazy to repair. I started out with classics like the O'jays, The Isly brothers, SuperFly & Curtis mayfield... now I'm into the more modern stuff and I have to say..

I've currently got Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence on repeat..
hqdefault.jpg

I feel like shes singing too me...

I'm a fan of vinyl as well. There's something about that warm sound from an analog signal that just can't quite be recreated on a digital medium. The only problem with collecting records is, while some records can be bought for a dollar, others are grossly expensive. I'm a huge Frank Zappa fan and many of his records are over a hundred dollars a pop, so I tend to just buy his CDs. The problem there is, many of his original records have been completely remixed on CD; making alternate instruments louder in the mix like on 'Hot Rats'; adding vocals to instrumental albums like 'Sleep Dirt'; changing the order of tracks on an album; etc. Now, I actually like hearing many of these changes because they allow you to hear different elements of the instrumentation more clearly, but I also like hearing the originals, as they were mixed by FZ himself. Most of these changes on CD were done posthumously. I'd love to have all the original vinyl records, but they've all been pounced on by all the avid collectors.

Sometimes the vinyl record differs so much from the release on CD, it's like owning two completely different albums. I'll throw in some examples:

Frank Zappa - Little Umbrellas - original 1969 mix
Frank Zappa - Little Umbrellas - CD Remaster

Frank Zappa - Spider of Destiny - Original Instrumental
Frank Zappa - Spider of Destiny - with added vocals

StudioTan said:
IThe only problem with collecting records is, while some records can be bought for a dollar, others are grossly expensive.

This is my only problem with this very expensive hobby. Trying to get my gf into it with me, but she wanted to listen to Blink182 on vinyl... not knowing if they made vinyls, i just dont image spending my time listening to Enema of the State.. good stuff, but i'd prefer more jazz, soulful, R&B, hiphop. It just seems to go hand in hand

After checking on Amazon, I discovered Blink 182 does sell vinyls, in the $50-$80 range LOL. I don't see there being many die hard fans willing to invest in a band that stopped creating music once they made a lot of money. I'm sure many people like some music for nostalgic reasons; they were the right age at the right time. I sometimes like to go back and listen to several bands I'm embarrassed to admit I liked; Everclear, for instance. :p

I also love Jazz and R&B, in all of its varying sub-genres. It's such a wide field encompassing so many different styles. You sometimes have to be specific when you tell someone you like to listen to Jazz because it's not just about beboppin' and scatin'. Same for orchestral music. Most people hear the word, 'classical' and picture dainty, snooty music, when it goes incredibly deeper than the likes of Mozart.

I also enjoy hip-hop because, if it weren't for artists sampling old Jazz and R&B tunes, I would have never discovered The Heath Brothers (whom Nas sampled) and Melvin Bliss (sampled by Wu-Tang and many others). I appreciate a lot of hip-hop artists for that reason.

I've gathered some vinyls too. Latest were James Carr's You Got My Mind Messed Up (amazing soul record btw) and The Who's Quadrophenia.

There's not many places to buy them here, but there's one good one that sells used and new ones.

StudioTan said:
Affen said:
I've gathered some vinyls too. Latest were James Carr's You Got My Mind Messed Up (amazing soul record btw).

It is a great record. James Carr is THAT DUDE.

Googled hhim, and this is the first picture that popped up

220px-James_Carr.gif

I dont even know what he sounds like, but I know I want to hear what this man has to say.
He's added to the scavenge list too - keep em coming guys!

UrbanMasque said:
StudioTan said:
IThe only problem with collecting records is, while some records can be bought for a dollar, others are grossly expensive.

This is my only problem with this very expensive hobby. Trying to get my gf into it with me, but she wanted to listen to Blink182 on vinyl... not knowing if they made vinyls, i just dont image spending my time listening to Enema of the State.. good stuff, but i'd prefer more jazz, soulful, R&B, hiphop. It just seems to go hand in hand

I don't want to listen to Blink-182 either but this still sounds very pretentious.

Well, you like what you like, and you don't like what you don't like. Everyone in this thread has been simply listing their interests. No one should be telling you what you should be listening to, like the popular music industry does.

I think the people running that industry are the pretentious ones. It's all about business through marketing and selling an image, not music. You have to look a certain way, act a certain way, and dress a certain way; glorify partying and drug use. There are countless aspiring musicians who experiment and make different forms of music, but don't have a chance in hell to gain a record contract because they don't possess these "qualities." So, people who want to discover new things have to look to more obscure outlets. People who like popular music, well, they have all those other outlets readily available.

Nice! In the first link, I like the part around 1:05 where the inflection in his voice changes; the line that starts with "Continental Drift...." I really like the vibraphone-esque sound that plays over the top of the track as well. Cool!

The second is an interesting departure in style and instrumentation. I like this!

From what I've read so far, the album is called "The Endless River," a tribute to their pianist, Richard Wright, and features his contributions to recordings they have made over the past twenty years. It may be worth mentioning that Roger Waters, a founding member of the group, will not be appearing on this album.

The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 'Division Bell' sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire

—David Gilmour

In an interview with Redbeard in March 1994, Rick Wright said about The Division Bell recording sessions:

We actually had four 90 Minute DATs of five or six hours of music. The hardest thing was to throw things out and decide what we're gonna work on. So we had maybe 30 or 40 pieces of music and we worked on most of those. And then had to drop things we all loved - not knowing how the album was gonna turn out anyway! For example there are pieces that we dropped that I believe should be in the album now! But we had dropped: because we didn't have any clear idea how the album would be. But they are not lost! They are in my head, They are in Dave's head. They are going into my solo album, they are going into another Pink Floyd album or whatever!

So it seems most of Wright's material used for the new album was taken from things he had written around the time of Floyd's release of "Division Bell."

Been listening to Allan Holdsworth lately. He's a fantastic musician and composer,and practically unheard of by anyone outside of the Jazz community. It's a shame, because I've never heard anyone else handle a guitar so masterfully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle