You NEED to see this

The thing that gets me right now is gay marriage. The bible states homosexuality is a "sin" right next to lying, stealing, blasphemy etc... You don't see the conservative right making laws against lying do you?

The stance they take is that letting a loving homosexual couple marry and get the same benefits under the law as a heterosexual couple would somehow degrade their marriage to their wife...

How exactly?

BTW, Urban, questioning the bible is allowed in the Christian faith. If not, Martian Luther would have never saved us all from the Catholic Church.

Science and religion HAVE to be at odds, not because of science but because of religion.

Nick good points. Philosophically, your worth as a christian is amassed by faith. Dealing with science you encounter Proof or evidence. Lets say we use science to PROVE God DOES exist. We now KNOW he exists... all faith is out the window.
Goes back to that Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy Arguement about the babel fish - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYS-GzB ... re=related its only comedy but its a good point.

[intotherain... thanks... i think..]

"Science and religion HAVE to be at odds, not because of science but because of religion. "

Urban, I don't know where you are getting an idea like that, but it is incorrect.

I took several Evolutionary Biology classes in getting my B.S. from BYU. I had two amazing professors in those classes, one of them was LDS and the other was an atheist. The best conversation I had with them can be summed up by the latter's point, "I research to see how this amazing Earth was created and came to be, he researches to better understand how God's Earth was created and came to be. I'm not going to fault him for adding God into it since he's not adding him as a variable into each analysis we do."

NickKmet said:
To me the more troubling issue here is the perception that Christianity (or faith in general) is specifically at odds with science and has to be on principle. The creationist idea is probably the most narrow of possible interpretations of the bible, and ignores the poetic quality of genesis. I think these people are entitled to their opinions, but the fact that they are unable to even listen to and comprehend other arguments on the topic is more troubling than anything. Faith in itself is not bad; cultish indoctrination of faith and faith tradition is. That's what I see here.

I was responding to Nicks 1st sentence. And I think I couldn't be any clearer in saying that Science and Religion HAVE TO BE AT ENDS.

UrbanMasque said:
Science and religion HAVE to be at odds, not because of science but because of religion.

Nick good points. Philosophically, your worth as a christian is amassed by faith. Dealing with science you encounter Proof or evidence. Lets say we use science to PROVE God DOES exist. We now KNOW he exists... all faith is out the window.

OK, First off, there's nothing anyone in this thread can say that can prove the video wrong. Nothing. Don't even try.

Second, about half of the responses here are meritless, and it should be obvious. Don't think for a second you're right, and if you do, just watch the original video.

Third, it's incredibly vapid to argue against this video when you're saying B and quite clearly A is right. A > B. Period.

Fourth, no matter what Stal says, he is wrong.

Fifth, I didn't actually watch the video, nor did I read any replies. I just thought it'd be fun to see how long I could argue without saying anything or doing the prerequisite reading/watching.

Why the hell isn't Wii Sports online multiplayer? How much fun would it be to Golf on the Wii with 4 of your buddies.

Nintendo, I hate you.

Ground is finally clearing of snow, which means cheap golfing in cold weather. A stark contrast from cheap noon golfing in +110 heat, when I was growing up in Phoenix.

StalfrosCC said:
Urban, I don't think you understand enough about your enemy to define it just yet.

I have no idea what you mean here Stal.

But hey if this is upsetting you guys and you want to high jack the topic to talk about Golf, lets do that.

I go to the driving range once a month. but I've never played Golf on a console.

UrbanMasque said:

Goes back to that Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy Arguement about the babel fish - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYS-GzB ... re=related its only comedy but its a good point.

[intotherain... thanks... i think..]

True Urban, if god is proven to exist, then faith ceases to exist as faith. but we have yet to reach that point where by definition faith and science cannot co-exist. I'm merely pointing out that in the present state of things, there is no specific reason that they need to be at odds. there is room for both. The contradiction isn't as evident as some believe unless you interpret the bible very narrowly. you wouldn't seriously argue that all the christian scientists out there exist in a state of paradox between their faith and science would you?

And ted, you make me laugh.

Oh, De-Ting, that's one of the those things Einstein would have said.

I don't see how faith ceases if science proves God exists. Does any self-respecting Christian (or other religion follower) really think God's existence is based on faith? I'd think their conviction would be as strong as the one I have when I walk out the front door and expect gravity to make my foot hit the ground when I step.

Even so, if science proves God exists, it doesn't prove God answers prayers or anything, or it doesn't prove they will reach heaven. Then again, some religions believe admittance to heaven requires you to believe God exists. Meh.

Back on point then, are you assuming that with faith out of the way God then has no power? Because the principle of faith is in no way strengthening to the Lord. Faith strengthens the believer.

We're talking about God, not Amaterasu from Okami with her faith points. :) I'll catch up on this later tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod