Streaming

Posting my reply to Ugh's Comment on Blake Peterson's: Does Framerate matter... because, it needs to be said.
--------

Firstly, Ustream lets you watch transcoded versions. the broadcaster selects (on Ustream anyway) if they want lesser versions for people with viewing devices that might not be up to par. We don't turn it on automatically, because as you can understand it is resource intensive to take 1 stream and turn it into 4 diff versions (especially if people aren't going to watch those versions).. But its opt in based on the broadcaster, but much like this thread - people dont care about the nuances - they just want to make a point and pile on.

Second, you missed my point. If a broadcaster is sending 1080/60, quality is based on a ton of factors, internet bandwidth of both the broadcaster AND the viewer, source and equipment, platform, how much the video has been scaled down to stream, etc. Aside from those, when you see the stream its been passed through so many points that its pretty far from "source" quality. "Source" should actually be labeled "Best" because only the broadcaster is seeing true 60fps at whatever resolution they are sending.

So to say you notice the diff between 30fps and 60fps on a video is like saying, you notice a difference in how your car runs when you put in regular fuel vs. premium unleaded. Is there a technically engineered difference - yes. Can you notice it? NOOOOOOOOO

UrbanMasque said:
Posting my reply to Ugh's Comment on Blake Peterson's: Does Framerate matter... because, it needs to be said.
--------

Firstly, Ustream lets you watch transcoded versions. the broadcaster selects (on Ustream anyway) if they want lesser versions for people with viewing devices that might not be up to par. We don't turn it on automatically, because as you can understand it is resource intensive to take 1 stream and turn it into 4 diff versions (especially if people aren't going to watch those versions).. But its opt in based on the broadcaster, but much like this thread - people dont care about the nuances - they just want to make a point and pile on.

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand it would take much more resources for people to be able to change the quality automatically. However, it's not optional for a person like me who isn't paying for it. It's also not optional for streamers on Twitch unless they become a partner.

UrbanMasque said:
Second, you missed my point. If a broadcaster is sending 1080/60, quality is based on a ton of factors, internet bandwidth of both the broadcaster AND the viewer, source and equipment, platform, how much the video has been scaled down to stream, etc. Aside from those, when you see the stream its been passed through so many points that its pretty far from "source" quality. "Source" should actually be labeled "Best" because only the broadcaster is seeing true 60fps at whatever resolution they are sending.

So to say you notice the diff between 30fps and 60fps on a video is like saying, you notice a difference in how your car runs when you put in regular fuel vs. premium unleaded. Is there a technically engineered difference - yes. Can you notice it? NOOOOOOOOO
That's where you're wrong. The video gets compressed. The quality of the image isn't going to be true 1080p/60FPS, but it'll be close to that. And you can in fact notice the difference between the framerate. Maybe your eyes can't see the difference, but mine and others can. I don't know about Ustream users streaming in 60FPS, but many partners on Twitch stream it and you can see how smooth it in when you select the source quality. The video you posted above was 60FPS.

Another example I can show you is the new Mario Maker trailer. If you're using chrome, look at the smoothness when you change it from 480p to 1080p/60. I wished madster would tell me how to enable HTML5 for Firefox, because without that, you can't change the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aryAvSd ... X98KlMkvRg

UghRochester said:
Maybe your eyes can't see the difference, but mine and others can.

iqCbe.jpg

I enjoy when people record their plays in 1080p60fps and post the x265 file to a webhost. I guess that isn't streaming though.

I downloaded the new beta for Battlefield Hardline, so I'll probably stream that in a little bit.

Being the hacker in it is actually a whole lot of fun.

If GR wants to Embed this sstream SOMEWHERE.. here is Longo's embed code

<iframe width="480" height="302" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/16277936?v=3&amp;wmode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>

StudioTan said:
Well, how is it? I missed out on your stream.
I had more fun with hacking than the actual gameplay, which is good because no one else liked doing hacking.

But it was still fun. It was Battlefield. Enough said.

You guys should re-post your stream information for visitors, at the very least, considering new posts are updated in the community queue on the front page. Also, include what days and times you're most likely to be streaming, perhaps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle