Stand up comedy

piracer

Rookie
So i just watched Russel Peter's Green Card Tour stand up which was pretty darn funny and i realized its either him or Ricky Gervais that i really like watching. Anyone else have suggestions for good stand up?

I watched Russel Peter's standup for about 25 minutes and then turned it off. Oh look, it's an asian guy. oh look, a pakistani. oh look, a white guy. oh look...*PUKE* I get it, i get it, i get it.

Check out Godfrey's Black by Accident. And there's always Louis C.K.

UghRochester said:
George Carlin, but he passed away a few years ago. Hmm, Steven Wright is pretty funny.

Beat me to it. Carlin is, without a doubt, the funniest man I've ever heard. Yeah, maybe a bit heavy on the profanity, but comic gold. If you can't find any of his televised stuff, check out one of his books. I suggest Napalm and Silly Putty. I borrowed it from a friend back in highschool, I have no intentions of EVER giving it back.

StickyGreenGamer said:
UghRochester said:
George Carlin, but he passed away a few years ago. Hmm, Steven Wright is pretty funny.

Beat me to it. Carlin is, without a doubt, the funniest man I've ever heard. Yeah, maybe a bit heavy on the profanity, but comic gold. If you can't find any of his televised stuff, check out one of his books. I suggest Napalm and Silly Putty. I borrowed it from a friend back in highschool, I have no intentions of EVER giving it back.
Yes, my mother mentioned an audiobook. I never read it, but the title is hilarious. "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?"
Made a joke, can you find it?

If you're in the realm of British humour, I recommend Lee Mack.

Some of his jokes are region-based so you may not get them. Just know "cockneys" are from London, and EVERYONE from Liverpool are cheap and chavvy.

Dylan Moran is another favourite, along with Jimmy Carr and Sean Lock.

MattAY said:

Some of his jokes are region-based so you may not get them. Just know "cockneys" are from London, and EVERYONE from Liverpool are cheap and chavvy.

So whats the deal with people from Essex then? Hear them getting chapped quite a bit.

Louis C.K
Patton Oswalt
Dave Chappelle
Sean Cullen
Gerry Dee
Greg Giraldo
Richard Jenny
Gregg Rogell

Can't think of any more at this time

For Americans, I really like Louie CK and Jim Gaffigan. Robin Williams stand up is also is good. Same with early Eddie Murphy. Jerry Seinfeld isn't bad either. Lewis Black.

There's also Stephen Lynch, but I don't know if that really can be called stand up as he sings songs (if you go for that, only get his live albums).

I primarily enjoy British comedians though, even though I'm quite American, and those are:

Rowan Atkinson
Hugh Laurie
Stephen Fry
John Cleese
the rest of monty python
John Oliver

David Cross' comedy is dark and satisfying. Artie Lange is raunchy and fun for a while. I like Al Madrigal too. His style is pretty clean. Kevin Hart is funny, but his last movie was kind of a let down.

I absolutely love stand-up, I practically devour it almost on a daily basis and honestly didn't think anyone here was really into stand-up that much. Great suggestions have been already made, it all depends on if you want to check out current greats or stand-up classics. In the classics then definitely check out Carlin, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Jerry Seinfield (some off the top of my head). I love a wide variety of comics (some popular some not) I strongly suggest check out:
Dave Chappelle, Mike Birbiglia, Louis C.K., Nick Swardson, Doug Benson, Anthony Jeselnik, Aziz Ansari, Bill Burr, Bo Burnham, Brian Regan, Daniel Tosh (I honestly find him hilarious), Gabriel Iglesias, Jim Gaffigan, John Mulaney, Kevin Hart, the only Kevin James stand-up (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff), Kyle Kinane, Lewis Black, Mindy Kaling's stand-up on youtube, Nick Thune, Patton Oswalt, Steve Bryne, Whitney Cummings, Sklar Brothers, Rory Scovel, Donald Glover, Tom Segura, Natasha Leggero, David Cross, Illza Shlesinger...... I'll stop I know that's a lot I kinda just unloaded any comic that I knew that I liked.........

As a side note if anyone is interested Doug Benson's podcast "Doug Loves Movies" is hilarious and has all types of guests ranging from actors to comics such as Jon Hamm, Ellen Page, some of the comics listed above, Sarah Silverman, John Lithgow so on and so on. I suggest give it a try it's really funny in my opinion and you can find it for free on iTunes or google Doug Loves Movies

StickyGreenGamer said:
MattAY said:

So whats the deal with people from Essex then? Hear them getting chapped quite a bit.

They're just majorly lower-class than the rest. Imagine the lowest of the low.
Plus, whenever you listen to the news you'll hear more often than not its, "AND there's been a murder...in Essex"....."AND there's an incident of incest....in Essex"
It's just one of those places - every country has them. Like the slums in FF7 8)

Yeah, I think I have Demetri's comedy album somewhere. Pretty good, pretty good.
Watching Patrice O'Neal's special - Elephant in the Room - right now and the dude is hilarious for real. He had a stroke this week, so that's some pretty sombre news.
...His standup is great!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod