Stuff you don't get.

C_nate

Rookie
I find myself with free time in the middle of the night now and then and flipping through channels, there isn't much to watch at 3:00 am. So I find myself watching Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network more often than not during that time.

Lately they've been trending towards this bizarre type of programming that I guess is supposed to be some form of comedy, though I'm not sure exactly what.

It is where they make everything shitty and bad on purpose and I guess that is supposed to be the joke. I think it started with the Tim and Eric show. For some reason some people find this show hilarious and people who don't, "Just don't get it."

Now I've watched the show a few times and for the most part think it's pretty bad, but they've actually done a few things that I've found entertaining that made me laugh.

For some reason, Adult Swim thought they needed more shows like this so they decided to make the Eric Andre show which is the same exact style of "comedy" for lack of a better term, but in the format of spoofing late night talk shows. This show is markedly worse in every aspect but I'm not sure if it is intentional or not. All I know is it has nothing going for it at all and is just plain awful.

Then when I thought it could not get any worse than the previous show, they come out with, "The heart, She holler" which has Patton Oswalt in it, who I think is a genuinely funny comedian. This show is so stupid and pointless that I lack the words to accurately describe in detail what a waste it is. It has no redeeming qualities at all.

They went out of their way to make it as over the top campy and bad as possible and that is the whole joke I guess. Anyone care to explain it to me, cause I don't get it at all. Actually the whole trend of making things look/sound bad with over the top bad acting = funny is something I don't get, but Adult Swim is eating that shit up with a spoon.

Am I just not high enough or something?

Anyway, what are some things you guys don't get?

The cutscene from Starcraft (the first one), "The Battle of the Amerigo." Specifically, the part where the marine says "I got yer zerg riiiiight here, heh heh heh heh," then he takes a sip of beer and...something happens. Was there a zerg in his suit? Was he an infected terran that got "activated" by the alcohol? How did he get pulled up to the ceiling? Always wondered about that guy.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVHGcOtY-s. Part in question starts at 2:18. Someone, please explain.

Shows like Tim and Eric are terrible. They say you need to be stoned in order to enjoy them but the truth is weed can make almost anything entertaining. So the whole "you need to be high, man" is a cop out for a shitty TV show.

Holy fuck Tim and Eric and all of those shows are terrible. I can't believe what happened to Adult Swim especially considering where it's come from. The Brak Show? Are you kidding me? Brak gets his own show? TV GOLD.

No C_Nate, you're high enough to understand that some things people aren't meant to "get".

For me, I've never been a huge fan of Portlandia. I've watched it many times, and it's kinda funny and kinda enjoyable, but all I can ever think is "I sure wish I was watching anything else." Like, they don't really make jokes, it's just them saying wacky things for an hour.

I watch Adult Swim for Children's Hospital and NTSF:SD:SUV::, which are two of the best comedies on TV (though individual episodes' success varies greatly). I totally agree with you about The Heart, She Holler. Just a huge waste of Patton.

We're not high enough, definitely.

I have moved away from Adult Swim. I miss the good ol days of Samuraii champloo, FLCL, Eureka, Paranoia Agent, Brak, Space Ghost, Venture Bros, Harvey birdman. Man, the nostalgia...it overwhelms me.

Did anyone else watch Space Ghost as those episodes were originally airing? Holy fuck those cartoons blew my mind in-between (or after or before or whatever) Toonami Midnight Run or the weekly schedule they use to have.

I watched Cartoon Planet when it was originally airing, and then I told my dad "You have to watch this, it's the best thing ever!" Keep in mind, I was 6 at the time and didn't really understand a lot of it. And so I got my dad to watch it, and he went "Holy cow, this is the BEST THING EVER!" To this day, whenever he needs to use a code name or anything, he still uses Space Ghost.

I'm pretty sure I watched a lot of C2C as it was coming out also.

Here's something else I don't get... and I'm going to get a ton of shit for this probably....

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and I'm assuming The World's End (haven't seen it) I understand how they're supposed to be fun, but they're just not for me.

danielrbischoff said:
Did anyone else watch Space Ghost as those episodes were originally airing? Holy fuck those cartoons blew my mind in-between (or after or before or whatever) Toonami Midnight Run or the weekly schedule they use to have.

Do you mean the original Space Ghost cartoons from the 60s, or Cartoon Planet/Space Ghost Coast to Coast? Because I first saw reruns of Space Ghost, then when I was in about 5th grade, Cartoon Planet aired. I would watch it with my brother and dad and we loved it. And having a familiarity with the old Space Ghost cartoons made Cartoon Planet all the more enjoyable, because of the way it skewed the relationships from the original cartoon. Then a year or two later, C2C aired, and well...I didn't really "get" it. I remember thinking to myself, "maybe someday when I'm older I'll get this. Like when I'm in college."

Little did I know how right I would be.

danielrbischoff said:
Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and I'm assuming The World's End (haven't seen it) I understand how they're supposed to be fun, but they're just not for me.

I thought those movies were for drinking and smoking to.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I have moved away from Adult Swim. I miss the good ol days of Samuraii champloo, FLCL, Eureka, Paranoia Agent, Brak, Space Ghost, Venture Bros, Harvey birdman. Man, the nostalgia...it overwhelms me.

FLCL is by far my favorite anime.

Loved me some original adult swim as a kid. Some of the continuing shows are pretty good Super Jail, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The venture Brothers,Metalocalypse.

I also like that adult swim released a phone app so I can watch Adult Swim gold on my phone. I can now stream any adult swim video I want wherever. No more carrying a 27GB folder on my phone of every Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle