|OT| Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by CloacalKiss, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Destruction magic is really broken in the early game and really useless in the late game, since it doesn't scale, the upper level spells are shit, and you can't make your own spells.

2. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Good to know Longo. Thanks!

I loaded my 1h character and he's a lot cooler now that he's level 12. Well, 14 now. I can kill shit pretty quickly and can survive encounters with dragons. Magic casters can hurt a bit but other than that, he's much better. Or I am. Wondering if I should put points in the block tree. Right now I'm focusing on 1h weapons, heavy armor and smithing.

3. CloacalKiss

CloacalKiss Rookie

Anyone here excited about Dawnguard? I know I'm not at that price.. We shall see though

4. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Vampire design looks like something out of from dusk till dawn...

Crossbows are cool though...so I don't know yet.

5. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Elder Scrolls expansions have always been worth the price, in terms of amount of content.

6. Delta47

Delta47 Rookie

Anyone pick up Dawnguard yet? I'm downloading it now.

7. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I won't deny that, but twenty dollars is a hefty price...

8. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

So I started playing this again. Imported my 360 save to the PC because, well...MODS! Although one of em is causing annoying clipping. Anyways...

I know enemies scale with your level, but is it your level in which you gain perks or say I level sneaking to like 25, will my enemies be level 25? Silly question but I went to get the Golden Claw in Riverwood or whatever and the Daugir are kicking my ass. It could be because I'm a leather wearing thief/assassin type character with no poisons to speak of right now...

And speaking of modding....Certain mods ask to overwrite other files from other mods - Say I have the 2K texture pack but one of my mods wants to overwrite some of the files, will that cause conflict? Will the new one look better or worse? It seems like a gamble to be overwriting mod files but it also seems very common to get that pop up.

9. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

No. All enemies have their own skills that level up when you level up, as in your character level. Also, that's pretty much always the first quest I do after Helgen.

Some mods kinda stack onto other mods. They'll require a certain mod to be installed first, and then will overwrite some of its files. For example, a lot of mods affect textures, but require the official 2K texture pack to be installed first.

10. tinymhg

tinymhg Rookie

De-Ting knows what he's talking about. So hear his wisdom. :headbng2:

11. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

No wonder I hate this game, I can't mod it at all since its stuck on the 360.

12. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Thanks for clearing it up. And for the first quest I just ha to think strategically. (Not something I'm used to with my sword and shield character.) I had to lure them out through the swinging pendulums and let those take them down, and use the sparks ability. Maybe I'll just be a thief mage...

13. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Been playing around with some mods and I found an ENB I like except the blur effect happens at really inopportune times. And for some reason distant textures aren't being rendered as quickly as I'd like them to be. They were actually rendered faster before all my mods.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57898 ... EB341B213/

14. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Motion blur is the one thing I turn off in every game. I run at 120fps I don't need motion blur.

15. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Yeah I can't get 120FPS in Skyrim with that ENB and all the other mods I have installed. I'm sure there's a way to disable their blur effect in the enb file.

Also - I'm connected to my TV which is a 120hz but my PC won't let me change the refresh rate above 60hz :/.

16. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Metro 2033 dx11 is a good example of motion blur that gets way out of control. Things will turn to a blurring un-discernible mess.

For hdmi, hdmi1.4a is the only spec that can run 120hz . Some tvs also dont support real 120hz. Does your tv support hdmi 1.4a?

Does your TV take dvi-d or display port? These are currently the only interfaces that support the bandwidth for true 120hz.

17. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Yeah I'm aware of that. Yes. My TV supports HDMI 1.4 and it is 120hz. Pretty sure I know how to recognize if my TV has 120hz ;) My surround receiver has 3d pass through so it supports 1.4.

Might be an HDMI 1.3 cable. That's what sucks about having so many HDMI cables lying around. Don't know which ones are 1.4 or not.

And I don't mean motion blur like you see in fps but the enb mod will give a bokeh effecy which is nice except this one constantly goes in and out of focus while in 3dd person.

18. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Good to hear. Im not sure of any way to test a hdmi cable other than looking for numbers on it or something. I use DisplayPort on my monitor.(It actually only supports hdmi1.3 so it cant do 120hz over hdmi)

Hit back with a reply if you get your 120hz working and which solution you decide to use. i always enjoy hearing people making the jump.

19. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Honestly I notice minimal difference gaming on my 360 or ps3 with 120hz enabled on my TV.

20. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Sourdeez here's one you can maybe answer for me - If I turn 120hz on on my TV, do I really need to change the refresh rate on my monitor in Windows? I shouldn't right? I