Growing up here

Status
Not open for further replies.
We called it stick(and move)ball. One boxing glove, one ball, one possibility.

I'm cool with WL giving up his spot as moderator to his friend, because Rakon is part of that new blood. Anything that brings in new people to the position we're all for.

C-nate, Yorky would never call you a pussy. Ever. He'd convert you first, and then

but yeah. dude's a missionary.

I don't care about having mod powers or not. I did at one point, because Chris_Crime posted so much about nominating me as a mod. He still does and makes my heart feel good. Right now, I'm just trying to help everyone out, because new people always gets an initiation before coming here (usually a minor debate to prove who's the alpha dog). I tell serious stories, which people laugh about. What I want is people to remember what good I've done in helping others. Few weeks ago, I helped Sam by finding that missing Vox Pop link, because it wasn't shown on GR. That's why I made a sig out of what he replied to. It makes me feel good remembering I've helped an old skool member out. I don't think anyone can remember the time I helped a member by figuring out how to put pictures in a blog entry. I have something else that's probably true about he. It's a verse from "Why Can't We Be Friend" by War.

Sometimes I don't speak too bright
but yet I know what I'm talking about

Anyways, we don't need more moderators. We just need more people to share this site to people. I LIVE stream at random times and I get people viewing. When I see I have a viewer, I inform them to follow me on Twitter and visit GR, because we're awesome.

EDIT: Hi, Mala! Still learning about the law?

before I begin, can someone tell me the difference between trolling and making a joke, between being fussy or voicing an opinion? It's all too subjective, it's your personal taste, but if these classifications are coming down from on high who am I to argue?
Coming up in the Next Hour, the 5 minute definitive interpretation of art and music. Keep it locked in to Culture Facts.

I didn't nominate Ugh openly because I thought it would be cute to do so or for a laugh. It wasn't hard to see his dedication early on. A little rough around the edges but his heart was in the right place. This is the sort of person you want to move in the moderator's chair.
Honestly, he's been held back because of his first year when we all shared a laugh at his expense.
when you started posting all those years ago I never thought I'd say this to you: thank you
He's being judged even in the compliments he receives.

Those days are over. The dude's not a joke, he's serious about this place. Ugh's the one busy in the details doing his own guerrilla marketing. He's substantive. But for all he does, it seems everyone else would rather play the cool kid and find some way to stuff Ugh back into some locker. Surprise, a lot of the time that cool kid is a moderator. Hey, I'd be worried about my position, too, with Ugh in the community. Dude's a grunt working like a company commander. Imagine if he had power, and how it would motivate him even further.

Boxingball? How's about Drop Ball? It's when you have the ball in your hands and you drop it. You literally drop the ball.

HEY, where's Lethean?
Should someone who doesn't post or visit the forums deserve admin rights?
What does that say about how you feel about the site?
What does that say about how he feels about the site?
Is UghRochester a more deserving candidate for moderator than Lethean?
These are all fair questions. Fair. Can we please conceptualize fair?

Don't hold what I have to say against Ugh, because we know that's the mentality around here. Everyone's real tough until they're not, and suddenly any and everything said is considered a personal attack. btw, a line of text? still non lethal. Open discussion on a forum? The hell you say!
I also hope we're not forgetting Ugh's first year. You want to talk personal attacks? I've never seen anyone get it so bad. But he stuck it out, and look at him now. He could've taken his ball and gone home, but he didn't. You gotta admire that grit, or at least I do. Worthy of the Boxingball Hall Of Fame.

GR forums are one of the rare sites I visit in the internet and really feel like visiting. I think the community here is one of the best, if not the best I've seen. Just take a quick visit to any other gaming site forums. Horrible.

Optimus-Crime said:
I should clarify. I didn't mean new users, I meant new blood into the moderator pool. How about Ugh? De-Ting? Wes? You couldn't call any of them new but none of them have been moderator before.

I was offered to become a mod by Maca many many years ago but turned it down, I think the job then went to MattAY if I'm not mistaken. I turned it down because

A) I'm not on the forums enough, Survivor has me on here a lot but once I'm done with that I'll probably take a long break from GR, like I normally do, after I host a game or showdown.

B) It's a thankless job where the members bitch if they do their job and bitch if they don't do their job. Plus I have a short fuse when it comes to complaints and I wouldn't waste my time cleaning up spam robots for a forum that doesn't appreciate it.

Only in the moderator's opinion, MattAY

Longo thinks it's personal, he's already said so. He thinks I'm out to get people, but dude, honestly? You're not that special. You're not that special, your position is.

What I'm talking about is accountability. But when someone says the words accountability and moderator together in a sentence, you end up getting
Chris you're a massive troll and you know it.

You wish I were trolling. You can paint me as one, it's in your better interests to do so--and trust me I get why you would want to do so--but, no. If it's to make a point, I'll speak up.

I'm not saying add new mods, I'm saying get rid of the old mods and replace them with new people. Not new members, but people who've never been mods.

This is about the time where someone comes in and says I'm trolling again, or that I'm attacking Lethean. note the people who've said I'm trolling or attacking Lethean.

You're really sick to want to keep it going big fish-small pond. The pond's only going to get smaller, and you're already as big as you can be. You're suffocating what's left.
GR's ushering change on the front page, the least you, MattAY, can do is offer up your moderator position as a "Thank You" to GR for giving you the opportunity to begin with. And I think right now is the right time. All new moderator staff? That's home grown marketing you can't buy.

Not just MattAY but every single one of you. Give it back. If you care about the place, losing your title won't matter.

inb4 I'm called troll or painted as the bad guy.
I'm hoping to open a staff member's eyes to who the real bad guys are.

Where's Lethean?
Good guy?

No one wants to be a moderator, and it may be a thankless job. Yet, it's rare that a moderator resigns the post. So which is it?
We won't see who wants it until open registration.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were having a discussion, not listening to you preach on a soap box.

*leaves thread*

I was joking - you know, you saying not sure if it's joking or trolling?

But OK...

please stop trolling me. I'm taking it personal now. naw JK plz keep doing it because i have no right to tell you what to do or say, and why would i want to? You should want to express yourself freely without such labels, because whether you're joking or trolling, it's your opinion. I'll stand up for your rights, Matt. I'll stand by your side the day you're ready to come out as a closet troll. Whenever you're ready.

I'm not really preaching, and certainly not in your direction, Wes, but damn it all of this doesn't speak to Ugh's caliber of play at Boxingball.
Ugh, I salute you, you magnificent animal ;_;7
Will we ever see a run like Ugh's 2006 rookie season again?

How do you make GR grow? This is how I feel you make GR grow.
GR used to tout their community. I really do believe Crave was buying the web traffic from Duke when they made the purchase, and the web traffic can be attributed to the forums.
I'm not fighting for the individual; it's not about Ugh or Lethean, or MattAY or myself, it's about GR. What worked then can work now. You can grow this site from the forums, and we could help.
Or we can continue on the path we're on. And if that's fine then that's fine.
Hoping I've not scared anyone off. We'll always speak up about the condition of the boards. And nearing 600 views is a good sign. Means that someone cares. It's not my business, I don't own this place. And neither do you.
For those one or two guys who do actually own this place, who's actually in possession of a paycheck stub from AtomicOnline, LLC., take everything you've read into consideration. You may feel like your stuck with us, but you could turn the forums into a major benefit if you made a few key changes.

Optimus-Crime said:
before I begin, can someone tell me the difference between trolling and making a joke, between being fussy or voicing an opinion?

Well, when I say something like
We can agree to disagree on the point.

And you come back with
There is no clique. I jab and punch. You're defensive. When I jabbed, you took your ball and went home.

That guy, that guy who talks about his high school football career? Are you actually friends with him? Or is he too cool because he's a guy who played football, and he understands guys, and you secretly hate him from afar and this is how you vent, by attacking me when I'm trying to help this place out?

That's so petty. That's so small of you.

Look at it this way, you've learned one more name! :thumbsup: please be a gif
edit: fail!

How fitting that this come about in a Mala thread. Who the fuck is Mala?

Is a perfect example of trolling. Because now you are not even talking about your main topic anymore and your whole post is devoted to being smug and condescending to me. And honestly, I was a little disappointed that when you were saying I either loved or hated the guy who talked about football to make sure all your bases were covered you totally missed the possibility that I may have been that guy all along!

But we both know that you know this already so what's it all about really? All I know is that reacting as defensively as you have and going after people who question or disagree with your idea isn't going to win many people over to your side.

Can someone make Chris a mod so he can shut up?!

Seriously - you remind me of those anti-gay Christian preachers you see in the street.
What key changes would you make that would turn into a major benefit then kiddo?

My issue is the boards, yours is whether I'm trolling you or not. I'm not. I don't even care to troll you, I don't even care to troll anyone. I want people to read what I'm saying, yes, and I'll use humor to get people to read what I have to say but there's no personal undercurrent of genuine emotion directed your way, C-nate. I'll go so far as to agree to whatever you want to bring whatever this is to a resolution, because it's not about us. This is about GR and the state of the boards, and I'm not going to dilute that with some petty side issue amounting to nothing.

I've already said it's not about the individual so much as it is about the whole.
The bigger question is does anyone actually know where Lethean is? Or am I wrong to point out a moderator's absence? I feel like there's an imbalance here that's working at our detriment. Am I the only one who feels that way? You haven't answered me before so why start now. But, is the guy okay? Does anyone know if this man is alive or not?! And am I the only one who cares!?

MattAY said:
Can someone make Chris a mod so he can shut up?!

Seriously - you remind me of those anti-gay Christian preachers you see in the street.
What key changes would you make that would turn into a major benefit then kiddo?
How's it that the preaching troll took the time to read your points but you couldn't give him the same courtesy? Wait, which of us is the close minded one again?
MattAY, there's no need to grandstand with an intermittent 3 sentence structure, just catch up with the actual discussion. It's gonna take some reading, but you're a moderator. If you don't have any duties, could you at least have the common courtesy to know the topic you're making an attempt to address?

To answer your question, no I don't know where he is and don't even know if he is alive. I do not feel you are wrong to point out his absence and if they decided to replace him with someone here that was active on the boards would not impact me in any way at all. If it helped the boards at all in some way then I'm all for it.

Just as you said earlier, we agree on a lot of the same points.
And I've never been above using humor to get a point across, at a moderator's expense or even my own.

for quick reference, this is what I'm thinking
wqq0t1.png

the signup thread stays open.
incoming drama? well, most assuredly. But incoming web traffic? ah-Ha!

Old timer constitutes anyone having the Old Skool medal in their bio.
You fall into this category, C-nate.
medal_rev4.jpg

I, however, do not. If you click my name you'll see I'm still Jail Bate.
The idea again being we want the users to stick around long enough to become "Old Skool" members. There's more incentive in having admin rights for 1 year than 4 months. Using what we already have in place, there's zero fuss involved except on our, the forums users, end which only results in more posts, more discussion, and more web traffic, which hopefully translates into more members and more ad revenue. For the site. The site that mala is saying thank you to the first post of this thread.

Chris, can you please tell me what key changes you will make? In one sentence if you can - fuck.

hey hey hey, can we stop all this fighting and just agree that my penis is a wondrous display of gods almighty power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod