Growing up here

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakian

Rookie
it's strange, isn't it? I know mine is not the first generation to spend formative years enjoying the interconnectivity of the internet, but it's strange how crazily different my youth would have been to the billions of humans before me, in the fullness of time, due to it. I've been places and seen things but i feel a wonderment at the people I met here on gr, in the chat, on irc and elsewhere on the web over the years that I am so grateful for. And also the method of contact and interaction. I like text.

I always saw a lot of people saying things like I wish i was doing this or that, but I never felt like that. I loved all the time I spent throughout my adolescence here. Anyway, this isn't really a specifically reminiscing topic, I just wanted to say what a great thing the internet enables us to do and what unforgettable experiences it allows us to have. So thanks Mr Berners-Lee!

Also hi, I haven't been around much in ages! How is everybody.

PS the reason I thought to post this was that I found my old private messages on here and was thoroughly amused by the first lot in said inbox, from back in 2005 (when I was a mod here!), simply being 'first warning', 'second warning' etc from TNO until 'Explanation'. Good times! I ain't no one's patsy.

Last time I made one of these threads, people dumped all over me, but I don't know if you'll have the same problem.

I have to agree. Time at GR feels like time well spent.

I'm happy to see any oldtimer stop in. Speaking of tno, I see him in gmail chat. I ask him to stop by and say hello but he rarely responds. Maybe he's still butthurt over losing the GM spot? And speaking of moderators and such, I think the entire moderator list could use some shaking up, not that I'm offering my services. I think we should always give the new guys a shot at running the joint. This was one of the main contributing factors to GR's early success in growing their community. The opportunity for advancement from within was real as the grunts on the front line were getting called up to the Bigs all of the time. Now? Not so much.
Can anyone remember when even you too could one day get this avatar?
12191230e2_Siw_I0a.gif

Most of you won't because once the opportunity for advancement disappeared, so did our community's growth.
Is Lethean still a moderator? And if so, why? It's an honest question, but I digress. Glad you came by, mala.

Oh, how I would clean up this place if I could. 5-10 years ago.

I, crime and blackstar should clearly be mods

also welcome back mala, it hasn't been the same around here without your condescending and sarcastic opinions

I love how GR has grown up, it's what makes it such a great forum. We've seen lots of people come and go, but the ones who hang around in the end are the ones who matter.

When I joined everyone was either a teenager or in their early 20's.I don't know how old TNO is but I'm assuming he was a teenager when he was put in charge. Maybe if he was put in charge today he'd do a better job? Maybe...

If you were born in the 80's you're part of the internet generation today. Simply put, you were young when the internet became popular. And I'm talking dial-up internet. We were young, but not so young that we can't remember how the internet evolved from your phone line into what we have today. And I'm sure you all have memories of life before the internet, even if you were born in '89.

Today it seems the internet has gone as far as it can go. And now we're in the age of mobile internet. But no matter what changes, we'll always have GR.

It's good to see you back mala, you were always one of my favorites. The feud with tno seriously provided some of the best memories I have had on these forums and I still have that ancient quote from you regarding him in my signature because I loved it so much.

I, too, like communicating with hip new technologies.

P.S. anyone know at what time today Apple will release an official explanation for why my new phone is a piece of shit?

Guan_Yu said:
It's good to see you back mala, you were always one of my favorites. The feud with tno seriously provided some of the best memories I have had on these forums and I still have that ancient quote from you regarding him in my signature because I loved it so much.
I thought that came from when everyone was making fun of Teens-4-Christ.

And there's a reason I'm still here, even though everyone hates me and I cry myself to sleep every night.

Good to see you Mala! I remember when you and Stal had my back after TNO banned me. It seems like a lifetime ago!

But if we didn't bring the drama then the forum would've been full of threads about Shane, Dobby and El Dorado.

Icepick said:
I, crime and blackstar should clearly be mods

Not just mods, we should run this place! This is a must.

First rule of business, take down all these Kurt Cobian and Radiohead posters
Second, get bitches
Third, get bros who like bitches
Fourth: Profit

SUCK IT IGN!

Fifth, stop calling them "bitches" so they might stick around.

Unless we're actually talking about dogs.

Fuck you, BlackStar. I don't want any bitches in here.

Wes, every time someone mentions dial-up, I cringe because I hear the noise. Why did you have to bring that up!?

And hello mala. Welcome back. It's kind of weird to see you here, in a way. Stop making these single-post comebacks now?

Hi Mala >wave<

I will probably remember this place on my deathbed - assuming you guys aren't there with me.

Wes said:
I love how GR has grown up, it's what makes it such a great forum. We've seen lots of people come and go, but the ones who hang around in the end are the ones who matter.

If you were born in the 80's you're part of the internet generation today. Simply put, you were young when the internet became popular. And I'm talking dial-up internet. We were young, but not so young that we can't remember how the internet evolved from your phone line into what we have today. And I'm sure you all have memories of life before the internet, even if you were born in '89.

Today it seems the internet has gone as far as it can go. And now we're in the age of mobile internet. But no matter what changes, we'll always have GR.

*Slow clap*

Well said Wes.

-BBK

BlackStar said:
Good to see you Mala! I remember when you and Stal had my back after TNO banned me. It seems like a lifetime ago!

Moderators doing what is right instead of what is expected indeed went out of vogue a lifetime ago.
imo the only admin who should stay on permanently is Daniel, and only because he's staff.

For everyone else, you'd have to ask why? What is this, the supreme court justice with a lifetime membership?
I'd keep one old member besides Daniel on the moderator staff and replace everyone else on the list with new blood. And always do this. There's a stagnation at the position when mods get to sit on their powers. You can look at the list and see who's doing nothing--there's some regular members who arguably do more in the community, for what seems like forever.

Why aren't those members who work within the community moderators?
I like WR to tell you the truth, but why is he moderator? WR, are you out there!? Hello! Can you hear me? Don't you have a position to uphold here?

Mala already disappeared on us, hasn't he?
I hate giving the warrior's welcome to a returning oldie only to see him bounce after his first post, but I don't want to dismiss mala's appearance, either.
So I'm all for hijacking this thread

"Moderator: what have you done for me lately"
Mala would be proud.

"why are you stirring the pot again?" because there's a congealed-over, scummy film sitting atop of the broth, and this stew needs to breathe. There's no malice here, just a wonderment at the inexplicable and some sideline consternation.

Optimus-Crime said:
imo the only admin who should stay on permanently is Daniel, and only because he's staff.

For everyone else, you'd have to ask why?

I'm a mod BECAUSE of Dan. And I always thought Dan, Bret and I were the new blood? Maybe we're not anymore lol.

Mod-Chip said:
Wes said:

*Slow clap*

Well said Wes.

-BBK
But. I was born in the '91 and we used dial-up. Does that make special?

I didn't have any one or 5 people in mind when I said that. But switching out the mods from time to time, as opposed to never, would go a long way in helping grow the community.
People want to believe they'll move up to moderator on the boards.
It worked before. It's gotten bad. So bad that even regular users no longer see the incentive of being moderator. Ouch. It used to mean something, man. But now? meh.
So make it mean something again.

I should clarify. I didn't mean new users, I meant new blood into the moderator pool. How about Ugh? De-Ting? Wes? You couldn't call any of them new but none of them have been moderator before.
That's something else we forgot, too. Nominating people for the position. Now it's done internally. You're better off having the community decide. community community community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod