F*** jobs, f*** rent, f*** being an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daddio said:
In addition, I just want to say it does get better with hard word and dedication. I've gone through a lot in the almost 2 years since separated / divorced and I'm much better individually as ever before.

Is it perfect and flawless? Nope. Rarely is, but that's life.

159.gif

Daddio said:
No doubt life can get down and dirty at times, but figuring out what you can control and dropping the rest really does make a difference. Accepting the fact that you've placed yourself in this situation is a hard pill to swallow, being okay with it taking time and hard work to get out of is even harder.

Life is all about perspective. You can either choose to cry victim and stomp your feet or you can choose to get to work on it. Allowing yourself to feel down at times is okay, being aware of when enough is enough is the key.

Remove toxic people and relationships, stop doing things for others with expectations attached and yes, stop smoking. Have some accountability.

^ Completely agree with this... especially the last part.

Daddio said:
In addition, I just want to say it does get better with hard work and dedication. I've gone through a lot in the almost 2 years since separated / divorced and I'm much better individually as ever before.

^ And also this... I'd like to say as well Daddio, well done to what you've done man, good to hear things have gotten better for you.

UrbanMasque said:
How many of you guys are planning for your old age, or have the means to plan for your old age? Is the retirement plan to shit out a bunch of kids to hopefully take care of you or do you plan to work until your 69? Because if the economy kicks out in the next 15-20 years we all might have useless skills to the industry at that point and might get fvcked like the current older generation.

Gentlemen, what are your long term plans?

^ Oh geeze. Um...

In regards to what I've done and how it fits into long term plans... I graduated from university/college almost three years ago now and for the past two and a half years I've been working full time in the field I studied in. I have a car which I didn't need to fork out any expensive loans for. I exercise regularly and I plan to be an active, healthy individual for as long as I can be.

I still live at home with my folks and fortunately, I don't have to pay for any bills. All my own expenses are my car, my phone bill and just... my own stuff. I've offered to help pay for bills, or some sort of rent, they acknowledge my offer but seem to dismiss the idea... at the very least, it gives me a good opportunity to save money.

Unfortunately my full time job doesn't pay that much money, so I actually can't afford to move out... on top of that, I've been told that I can't actually be paid more because the department can't afford it. I don't want to rent as I'm told renting is "dead money" and buying a home would be better. The problem is, I can't afford a loan where I live, here property is just too expensive. Down south interstate property is a lot cheaper, however in saying that jobs pay less money down south. The industry I'm in doesn't exactly pay much either. I would like to move out and own my own home someday, but in the mean time all I can is save money really.

I'm not a hundred percent happy with my job and I have tried to look for other jobs, even applied for other jobs interstate. Unfortunately I've gotten nothin'. Multimedia is very competitive and doesn't pay that well, sometimes I feel like I've joined the wrong industry. :/

I'd like to do my own multimedia work, particularly drawing, through the internet. YouTube videos, webcomics/cartoons etc. It's a very unrealistic dream but I'd love to do it one day... motivation though is very difficult, especially when you're so busy just living reality.

This isn't so much of a "financial" plan or anything like that but it would be nice to meet someone. I'm twenty five years old and I've actually never had a serious relationship, never had a girlfriend. The best I've gotten is maybe two dates... or three, I can't remember. Sometimes I think something is really wrong with me, like I'm broken or something (e.g. girls get to know me and think "What is wrong with this guy?" and I never hear from 'em again).

That's pretty much my plans for the future, or more or less "hopes and dreams". I guess my biggest plan is "get a better job, buy a home".

UrbanMasque said:
How many of you guys are planning for your old age, or have the means to plan for your old age? Is the retirement plan to shit out a bunch of kids to hopefully take care of you or do you plan to work until your 69? Because if the economy kicks out in the next 15-20 years we all might have useless skills to the industry at that point and might get fvcked like the current older generation.

Gentlemen, what are your long term plans?

I started a retirement plan about 6 years ago when I joined the military. I also was able to pay for my current car with cash and my college is paid off thanks to the GI bill. Feels good not having to worry about any debt.

But I don't have my life neatly laid out like it appears some people do, I just want to get my degree and like, work on computer stuff, man. I don't think my skills will become obsolete, as long as people need to communicate. In the military I was a signals intelligence operator/analyst and I am currently studying computer engineering with a focus on signals processing. As long as people need to communicate with each other job opportunities should be out there... *knock on wood*

UrbanMasque said:
Daddio said:
In addition, I just want to say it does get better with hard word and dedication. I've gone through a lot in the almost 2 years since separated / divorced and I'm much better individually as ever before.

159.gif
That is my philosophy as well. The harder your life is, the better you appreciate being alive. Sometimes, going through a divorce or a tragedy makes your smiles more worthwhile for the rest of your life.

wtf are you getting paid an hour that 60 hours a week cant keep a guy on his own without a dog/car etc. at least comfortable. has to be sub minimum wage

Adulthood, man did it come and kick us in the ass Frank. I love my life, but I am literally exhausted 24/7.

What I would give to go back in time and just be young forever.

So you are telling me there is no magic genie?

Damn...there goes my Christmas list.

It is funny though, growing up, especially for me, I just have vivid memories of thinking how I couldn't wait to be an adult.

Started working all the time at a young age, moved out fairly young (compared to most people now days). I sure my son will ignore me when he gets older like I ignored my father, but I hope he takes it easier and enjoys his youth.

I COULD move out and start paying rent out the arse...

Or, i could continue living at my parents for 3 years and save up enough for a home loan and furniture, then proceed to buy my own house and end up paying only a little bit more than rent.

I'm assuming it's similar in the rest of the world, but renting makes very little sense in Australia. Might as well just wait and buy.

Also, protip: Take out an extra $10k or so on your home loan and get a good solar system installed.
The small amount extra $/wk is very worth it and will just get better and better as energy prices keep rising.

madster111 said:
Also, protip: Take out an extra $10k or so on your home loan and get a good solar system installed.

Good in Australia, but I haven't seen the sun in weeks.

I like the responsibility. Sure there are times when you just wish you could vanish, but most of the time it's good. It was a great feeling to finally break away from the chains of the childhood home.

I don't know if I'll ever own a home. Buying things on credit doesn't really make sense in my mind. It's like obsessing over how much debt you can take on.

danielrbischoff said:
I don't know if I'll ever own a home. Buying things on credit doesn't really make sense in my mind. It's like obsessing over how much debt you can take on.

Credit is absolutely great if you know what you're doing and have an IQ over 80. Much better than cash.

I enjoy being an adult, my problem is living an adult life when my world and hobbies are formed around things many see as childish.

But that is what they should be in the end anyway, our remnants of our youth in the hobbies we do outside of the real world. Except game designers and candy makers. They are children all day, every day.

It's cool. Most people obsess about sports they rarely played as children, Links. As a father of three, life and adulthood is fun. Fun? A lot of work. But hey it takes work to build stuff and I'm building some kick ass kids. The difference between buying a house on credit and paying for other stuff on credit, is that you get equity for whatever you're paying and you can write it off come tax time and essentially you're paying into something that historically has always appreciated with inflation (albeit there are fluctuations in good/bad markets).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle