F*** jobs, f*** rent, f*** being an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this would be an option for you, but my advice would be to try and save up as much as you can in a short amount of time, try to set up temporary living arrangements with your parents and then go back to school. I would suggest something in the medical field as that is where the jobs and money have been the last few years.

I left home at a young age and struggled too. Things became a little easier when I met someone and after being together for a while decided to start living together and dividing up all the expenses. After a couple of years, she went to nursing school while I held down the bills. After she graduated and got a job her starting pay was double her old hourly rate. I'm going back next after our youngest starts going to school all day.

So things might suck for you now, but if possible try to put yourself together a goal and a plan to advance so you can live a little more comfortably.

^ I think that's a pretty good idea, C_nate.

I would suggest something similar... as hard as it is (it's easier said than done I'm aware) going back to university/college might be a good idea as you can increase your skill base, qualifications and maybe get a better job, better pay etc.

Living with parents definitely has pros and cons. I said earlier I still live with my folks and while I do help to pay for some bills and expenses, I still get to save a lot of my money... which is what I need to do, since I can't afford a loan to try and buy my own place. It's great to save money, but the lack of freedom and privacy can be irritating at times.

It is absolutely legal to be publicly intoxicated in st louis. Infact we have a law that bans future laws against public intoxication.

You can thank Budweiser for all their lobbying money.

If you have a full-time job and can hold a stable relationship, there is no shame in staying at home and saving up. I wish I could do that now. If your going to do something you ultimately don't love, start by getting into a job where you see stability like Nate said and try to position yourself in there. Either way, the ultimate end goal is to live comfortably and stop dating women who poop on top of the toilet seat. Both aren't too difficult to achieve with the right type of education.

Master_Craig said:
madster111 said:
Australia's nice this time of year.
Just saying.

Not where I live. :p
Yeah, i should probably clarify with 'in general'.
We just had some storms and flooding and shit down here. Presumably up there it's hot as hell?

Anyway, it's still better than America. Everytime you're down about taxes or the retarded ratings people, just remember: We pay minimum wage and can't be arrested without trial to be held indefinitely in a UN-illegal prison.

danielrbischoff said:
So we're all going to move to St Louis and get drunk on the streets? Is that the plan for the forums?
Do it. Me and craig'll come visit, bring some Aussie beer and make you eat raw vegemite once sufficiently smashed.

danielrbischoff said:
So we're all going to move to St Louis and get drunk on the streets? Is that the plan for the forums?

We can always go to Toronto. They have drunk 19 year olds in the streets.

madster111 said:
Yeah, i should probably clarify with 'in general'.
We just had some storms and flooding and shit down here. Presumably up there it's hot as hell?

Yeah I heard about all those floods and storms. I hope everything is okay down there. :/ And yup, up here we're entering "the build up" so... it's really hot and humid.

madster111 said:
Anyway, it's still better than America. Everytime you're down about taxes or the retarded ratings people, just remember: We pay minimum wage and can't be arrested without trial to be held indefinitely in a UN-illegal prison.

Also. ^ This.

madster111 said:
Do it. Me and craig'll come visit, bring some Aussie beer and make you eat raw vegemite once sufficiently smashed.

HAH. Yes. The vegemite testing would be amazing.

Being an adult is awesome. It is like during your childhood you were dealt all of your life cards and had to deal with it. During adulthood is when you finally get to play the card came. You could have been dealt shit cards, but part of the fun to be had is winning with a shit hand.

There are ups and downs while you play the game, but the only thing that matters is how you are at the end of the game, which is when you die.

Being a young adult is the best part because you are new to the game and just starting to enjoy it. Sucks for the people who hate the game, though.

Personally, I am broke as hell, fooling around with a chick who I don't even think is attractive and has a boyfriend, doing terrible in half of my classes, and about to go to about 200 miles away to Atlanta with only about $300 in my pocket (not too sure how I am getting back... I also haven't really had money for food in the past three months, I don't know how I am still alive or even pay rent), and you know what? I like my life. Why, because I like playing the game.

If this post doesn't make any sense it is because I am not sober, sorry. Actually, Im pretty sure this post doesn't make any sense. I should sleep.

FrozenBacon said:
Personally, I am broke as hell, fooling around with a chick who I don't even think is attractive and has a boyfriend, doing terrible in half of my classes, and about to go to about 200 miles away to Atlanta with only about $300 in my pocket (not too sure how I am getting back... I also haven't really had money for food in the past three months, I don't know how I am still alive or even pay rent), and you know what? I like my life. Why, because I like playing the game.

This is what it is all about! Right now anyway..

How many of you guys are planning for your old age, or have the means to plan for your old age? Is the retirement plan to shit out a bunch of kids to hopefully take care of you or do you plan to work until your 69? Because if the economy kicks out in the next 15-20 years we all might have useless skills to the industry at that point and might get fvcked like the current older generation.

Gentlemen, what are your long term plans?

I would almost say I'm focused too much on retirement savings, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Right now I have almost 25K in my retirement accounts and investment portfolio (a company matched 401(k), a Roth IRA, and a few different mutual funds). It's not really that much, but I'm only 25, and managed to pay off over 20k in students loans and really get my retirement savings going in less than two years, so I feel like I'm ahead of the curve. Plus I'll will also have a company pension and my equivalent Social Security - I don't pay into social security but rather the Railroad Retirement Board which is a MUCH better program than Social Security.

I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I'm really proud of myself for where I'm at right now.

^FFVVVCCCKK MAN

Depending on how much student loan debt you have, I'd say you are in the upper percentile for your age - even for my age, because you're doing a hell of a lot better than me. My 401k is BS >5k, and 16k left in loans apart from credit card. You are one of the lucky ones who found a career early, and not with a selfish company.

Yeah, that's all I owed in Student Loans, I've had that fully paid off since around February of this year. Although I just took out a car loan, so I'll have that for the next few years.

Personally I say pay now, play later. Because of good saving, we were able to withstand putting too much on Credit cards during my 3 months of unemployment. But a year later things are good. Switched my old 401k to a Roth. I've been pumping my matched 401k at work. Putting money aside for a house purchase out here in NE. We're less than a year off from paying off both my and the wife's student loans and one car is months from being paid off and still in great condition. Buh-bye interest leeching loans.

No doubt life can get down and dirty at times, but figuring out what you can control and dropping the rest really does make a difference. Accepting the fact that you've placed yourself in this situation is a hard pill to swallow, being okay with it taking time and hard work to get out of is even harder.

Life is all about perspective. You can either choose to cry victim and stomp your feet or you can choose to get to work on it. Allowing yourself to feel down at times is okay, being aware of when enough is enough is the key.

Remove toxic people and relationships, stop doing things for others with expectations attached and yes, stop smoking. Have some accountability.

In addition, I just want to say it does get better with hard work and dedication. I've gone through a lot in the almost 2 years since separated / divorced and I'm much better individually as ever before.

Is it perfect and flawless? Nope. Rarely is, but that's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle