Help me out (give tips about saving electric)

When I was young, I used to wake up, shower, wrap myself up in blankets, and then promptly fall back asleep until I had to leave for school.

Green_Lantern said:
How can people suggest sleeping in the bathroom with the shower running on hot. Sleeping in a sauna would be gross.

I agree. I don't think would be able to fall asleep.

GL. Every summer night in this devil state's humidity is sleeping in a sauna!!!!

Ugh, walk through the house checking entry points. Spend the money at Lowes/Home Depot to put the saran/shrink wrap on your windows. In really crappy apartments, I've also noticed that light switches and outlets are sometimes entry points. Check to see if your doors are letting in a lot of air around the edges you can get kits for that at a hardware store too. Other than that, it sounds like you're managing the temp well.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_61805-1410-V73/ ... facetInfo=

No such thing as humidity in the western part of the state. But it's really not that bad, you get used to it and AC helps a lot.

Bitch, my gaming PC uses $100/mnth electricity by itself.

Honestly, $100/mnth doesn't seem too bad if that's including hot water and heating. What DOES seem bad is $500/mnth for a shitty apartment. That's approaching australian levels of money, and we here in Aus call a $1800/mnth job 'Shit'.

How much are propane bottle refills in the US? You could get a small gas heater near a window that runs off the bottle.

Also, to get the insulated effect but still let light through your windows, bubble wrap works extremely well. Clear tape around the edges, etc. Get a heavy piece of fabric (sew some foam in a little tube or something) and put it under your door edge, get little strips of stick on foam to put all around the other edges.
Do that and you can cycle the heating on/off.

As for your question of do portable heaters use less electricity, yes but not enough less. You'd have to leave an 800w heater running all day to get the same temperature 1hr of large central heating can do. More efficient to insulate as much as you can.

Another thing: pushups.
No, seriously, start doing pushups man. Bodyheat is insane - in a small room it'll go up by 5 degrees c just by adding another person sitting there, so if you work out for a few minutes you'll dump a bunch of heat into the room and you'll feel warm for a while. This has the added bonus of helping you get more fit. Don't lose your fat, however. We big guys don't feel the cold anywhere near as bad as skinny people.

madster111 said:
. What DOES seem bad is $500/mnth for a shitty apartment. That's approaching australian levels of money, and we here in Aus call a $1800/mnth job 'Shit'.

The first shitty apartment I had in northern California was $1300 a month. Its too expensive for everything out there in my opinion but later we found a house for the same price in rent. Always blew my mind you could rent a decent house for how much apartments charge.

too-damn-high-meme-generator-the-rent-is-too-damn-high-52014a-434x317.jpg

I pay 650 a month, plus utilities, for rent. Though I live in a college town where space is extremely limited. So that's why.

It really depends on where you're at.

Well, you guys are forgetting I have no bedroom and it's very small. Also, I'm living on a McDonald's budget. Poor white trash, yes I am, but It feels so good to be out on my own.

UghRochester said:
Well, you guys are forgetting I have no bedroom and it's very small. Also, I'm living on a McDonald's budget. Poor white trash, yes I am, but It feels so good to be out on my own.
Start selling meth?
Iunno, you need to get more money. Can you get promoted soon?

Still like my propane heater idea. You'd need to make sure there's room for the gas to escape, but it'd be cheaper in the long run and more effective. Fire > Electricity for heat production.

You could also ghetto rig up an exercise bike, feed some power into some batteries and run an electric heater off that. But that's probably 'can't afford to eat' levels of poor person heating.

Do you have a stove in your apt?

After my grandfather passed away many years ago, my grandmother had to cut back on costs. To save money on her heating bill she used to keep the heat low and turn on her oven and leave the oven door open. She usually hung out in the kitchen as it was and it kept it surprisingly warm in there.

Or just keep your bedroom warm with a space heater and keep the heat low in the rest of the apt. It's cheaper to keep one room warm than the whole place.

you cannot get a shit hole apartment in my city for less than 675-700 for a 1 bedroom.

also just tell your bro to man up or pay the extra

7 everywhere. 11 downtown or hipsterville.

UghRochester, everyone's given good advice. First take care of heat retention, which is insulation and not leaving your doors open, especially refrigerator. Next, manage your space -- don't heat the whole place up, because it's not worth it. If you can manage to create a smaller space where you can trap heat (whether it be a room or a sleeping bag), then small heat sources like an electric heater or heating pad can work well. Even a hot water bottle works. The trick to saving money is being efficient. The oven is a great source of heat, but I would suggest to use it only if you're also going to heat or cook food with it. Blankets, towels, clothes, and yourself can be warmed with many things, including electronics, heat from the stove (but be careful of steam -- you don't want to get wet), lamps, etc.

Use clothing to help keep yourself warm. If your hair keeps your head warm, then great. Otherwise, hats (I can see you in number 9 or 10), and definitely socks. Those are the two main things you want to keep in good condition. I cannot stress enough the importance of good socks. Not only are you on your feet a lot and good socks can help good shoes in terms of support, but if your feet are warm, you will feel warm. It's worth it to buy thick socks. Hell, if you don't care, those fluffy plushy house socks actually work quite nicely. Alternatively, house slippers.

You know, if you wanted to, you could always try stealing electricity from other places. Various ways to do that -- stay out longer, at coffee shops, libraries, schools... keep yourself warm on someone else's heat (the latter two also tend to offer free computer/internet use). Invest in rechargeable batteries (if you have any battery-operated devices) and use aforementioned places to charge them.

Well, that last bit is a touch facetious. But still notable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod