• 2007 Toyota Matrix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2008 Scion xD (Toyota also)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

masterchris

Rookie
Okay, so here's the deal.

For anyone who doesn't already know, I live in Canada. Pretty much everyone who lives in Canada knows we get screwed on a daily basis when it comes to buying things like cars. They just cost more here. With our Canadian dollar doing as strong as it is right now (almost $0.96 US right now), the exchange rate is almost moot. So it just makes sense right now for a Canadian to buy a car in the US, and re-import it into Canada. Seriously, the fee charged by Canada Border Services is less than $200, and even if the car you're importing was not assembled in North America (and hence does not fall under NAFTA requirements) and you have to pay 0.61% duty, it still works out to be cheaper to buy in the US.

So after much head-banging and bitching and moaning and talking to everyone I work with and annoying them to no end, I have narrowed down my decision to three models. And, it just so happens they're all Toyotas. Why Toyota? Aside from the good name, they seem to give the fewest hassles when it comes to a US dealer selling to a Canadian, and the US warranty being honored in Canada.

So without further adieu, my three picks are:

#1: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3-door Hatchback:

toyota-yaris-4644.jpg

Sticker price in Canada for a 3-door sport model, fully loaded is $18,861 Canadian funds.
Sticker price for the EXACT SAME model in the US is $14,599 Canadian funds.
Holy taking it up the ass, batman! $4,200 difference. After EVERYTHING (taxes, duty, etc) is taken into account, it's still a $3,000 difference between the Canadian and US prices.

But, the Yaris is a small car.. yeah, I want a small car. Seriously, why do I need a big honkin' car? I live in the city, I drive in the city, parking is tight, I hate parallel parking anyway... it's VERY fuel efficient. It just makes sense.

#2: 2008 Scion xD

162292.jpeg

New for 2008 (supposedly hitting the markets next month), and only available in the US, is the Scion xD, replacement to the Scion xA. Not to be confused with the ugly as balls Scion xB.
Since the xD isn't available in Canada (the reason why, is we have a 5-door Yaris hatch, where the US doesn't), I can't give the difference between the Canadian and US prices, obviously. But I can tell you the price is $15,170 US for a FULLY LOADED xD. And it looks NICE. Check out the interior shots on the website. What a beautiful car, imo.
Of course, the potential downside, is whether or not I can find a local Toyota dealership here who will work on it, since it isn't even sold here. Going to have to find out first.

#3: 2007 Toyota Matrix

ToyotaMatrix.jpg

Toyota calls it a sport wagon. It does kinda look a bit wagon-ish, but it also looks sporty and classy all at the same time. It's a much bigger car than the Yaris and Scion xD, meaning a lot more interior storage room and leg room and head room and everything else room. But again, it goes against what I originally wanted, a small car, even though there's many people who will still call the Matrix a small car (and I suppose they would be right). I'm really on the fence here, the Matrix is a hell of a lot more car, and still cheaper buying in the US than in Canada.
How much cheaper? Well, sticker price on a fully loaded Matrix in Canada is about $21,705, versus $19,513 in the US. Not as big a difference as with the Yaris, but still enough of a difference to make the trip to the US worth it.

So I'm really, really on the fence here.

The Yaris is what I had originally wanted, mainly because it looked different from the norm, and looks fun to drive.. but lately around here I've been seeing Yarii popping out of the woodwork, they're everywhere. The Scion xD isn't much bigger than the Yaris, in fact I'm pretty sure they're nearly the same size. But it just looks friggin' awesome, and it would be something almost nobody around here would ever have seen before, let alone know what it was. It would have the uniqueness factor, which I like. If I find that the local Toyota dealers will work on the car, then I might just go for it...
But then there's the Matrix, which is also a really nice looking car, with a lot more to it. It's more practical, let's say. But is practical what I need in my first car?

So, what do you think?

Oops. I'm a tad intoxicated, I meant to vote Scion. If you have more than one friend, PLEASE don't underestimate the importance of four doors. It's very important to them, especially if they're girls, to have an independent door. I have polled this myself.

I'd suggest you pick up a Consumer Reports magazine, available from most book stores, and start there. Unfortunately the Yaris and Scion are new models, are they not? (I'm not sure about the Matrix) If they are, then there won't be much information about them, however Toyota is a good name. You'll be able to see how models have improved (or not) over the years and it's resale value, which may be a very important factor to some.

You very well may find something else you like in a CR magazine, so I'd highly recommend that. Malakian also makes a good point, four doors is good. Very.

whats up with these compact cars... get a real car.

of the ones listed above --- i'd have to say the scion

the matrix is essentially, a complete rip off of tyhe pontiac vibe, and by rip off i mean toyota and GM made it together, but honestly, a pontiac vibe is not known as a good vehicle, it gets you from a to b, but that's about it

that being said it's roomier than the others

however the xd is, a five door yaris, the five door yaris not being marketed in north america due to the xd, so you get everything a yaris has, plus 2 more doors, still considered compact, roomier, side curtain air bags, a 1.8 litre engine (which is by no means a powerhouse but against the other two, is better) an impressive sound system, ABS and the lot, and I believe the only non standard feature is traction control, which unless you're racing it, is hardly usefull

my honest opinion, as much as i dislike sub compact cars, I say the scion, just because you get the most for your dollar

on the subject of cars, britains finest export, aside from the astin martin v8 vantage and DB5, is top gear, absolutley the greatest car show in the world, and unlike the american car show market, they dont take sides, and they openly criticize companies, and destroy cars they feel to be a waste

trust_no_one said:
I'd suggest you pick up a Consumer Reports magazine, available from most book stores, and start there. Unfortunately the Yaris and Scion are new models, are they not? (I'm not sure about the Matrix) If they are, then there won't be much information about them, however Toyota is a good name. You'll be able to see how models have improved (or not) over the years and it's resale value, which may be a very important factor to some.
I hate Consumer Reports. That being said, they did do a Yaris vs. Fit vs. Aveo vs. some other economy car article a few months ago, and the Yaris didn't do too well. but as I recall they dinged it on stupid things, even admitting it was a very nice car.
The Yaris brand name is new for 2006, but the Echo has been around for a while. The Matrix has been around since I think 2003?

Icepick said:
however the xd is, a five door yaris, the five door yaris not being marketed in north america due to the xd, so you get everything a yaris has, plus 2 more doors
Actually, the five door Yaris is only not available in the US: Canada has the five door Yaris, but we don't have the xD. I agree with everything else you've said, and everyone here has said.. the Yaris is looking less and less appealing to me. If I find out from Toyota that the local dealers can do the work on the xD, that's probably what I'll go with, otherwise I'll probably go with the Matrix instead.

Silent_Player said:
Where's the bus option?
Maybe someday ;)

Personally I think the Matrix is ugly. I don't like wagons and I don't like cars that look wagonish. The Yaris is a nice car ....but to me it looks more like a girly car such as the Holden Barina. I don't really like any of the cars but of all of them I'd choose the Scion simply because it's different. And btw I have a 2 door car and theres nothing wrong with a 2 door car. Big deal, you need to use soem effort to crawl into the back but my back seats are hardly used and weren't designed to carry passengers all the time (unless they are really small passengers).

Icepick said:
the matrix is essentially, a complete rip off of tyhe pontiac vibe, and by rip off i mean toyota and GM made it together, but honestly, a pontiac vibe is not known as a good vehicle, it gets you from a to b, but that's about it
Well the Vibe and Matrix have Corolla engines, so by not a good vehicle do you mean performance wise?

derekk said:
Icepick said:
Well the Vibe and Matrix have Corolla engines, so by not a good vehicle do you mean performance wise?

I'm not sure if you're truing to be a smartass or are agreeing with me the vehicle isn;t the greatest

i'm more arguing bang for buck value, and while a vibe is... "dependable" you just dont get all you can

and on a side note incase you were trying to argue and say the carolla engine is fine (which I completley disagree) the fact of the matter is, its a small ass engine meant for throwing around a small ass car, you in no way can say the carolla is heavier than a matrix or vibe, so, we get into power to weight ratio, lets say hooking it up to a new vehicle they managed to keep the same power, well they lost it all by adding on more weight

and in such is the issue with american cars, huge hammers under the hood, but the weight is incredible, take the lotus exige for example, beautiful, fast as fuck, and I believe it's a 1.8 L as well.. or 2.4 I cant remember, but its not a big engine

thing is the car weighs roughly the same as two americans,

Icepick said:
derekk said:
Icepick said:

I'm not sure if you're truing to be a smartass or are agreeing with me the vehicle isn;t the greatest

i'm more arguing bang for buck value, and while a vibe is... "dependable" you just dont get all you can

and on a side note incase you were trying to argue and say the carolla engine is fine (which I completley disagree) the fact of the matter is, its a small ass engine meant for throwing around a small ass car, you in no way can say the carolla is heavier than a matrix or vibe, so, we get into power to weight ratio, lets say hooking it up to a new vehicle they managed to keep the same power, well they lost it all by adding on more weight

and in such is the issue with american cars, huge hammers under the hood, but the weight is incredible, take the lotus exige for example, beautiful, fast as f***, and I believe it's a 1.8 L as well.. or 2.4 I cant remember, but its not a big engine

thing is the car weighs roughly the same as two americans,
Hah I was tired as hell when I wrote that and I don't even remember what point I was trying to make. I will agree with you that it doesn't make enough power for those cars though. I drove an '07 Corolla as a rental a few weeks ago and it didn't even like to go above 70 D:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod