The Office(UK) or The Office(USA)

• United Kingdom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • United States

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

monkeygoat

Rookie
I am a huge fan of the original british office, and was was intrested to see how the American version would stand up against. I think it's great. It has some amazingly funny scenes and the Steve Carrell dude is great. However I can't put it in the same light as the office. It doesn't have Gervais obviously and Gervais just was the office. Also it's more much more unrealistic than the british version, much more scripted and prepared, and some of the "mockumentery" features have been quite exxagerated. Also the production quality in terms of how it is filmed is alot more polished than the brit version, and the actors all look alot better looking, and basically everything looks more like a set. It seems to be quite an ongoing thing with our version only having 12(+2 specials) and the US having 45, with a new series coming. Still a classic program just with a totally different feel than our version, and I prefer it so much more than alot of other american sitcoms like friends. Iv'e also watched versions of the show in french and german, which were so unspeakably awful.... I know alot of people here have probably only seen the american version but oh well. Fuck.

British definitely, I knew when I heard that the Office was going to the States it'd become more like a typical sitcom and while I was relatively surprised, it doesn't come close to the original.

Sam

Even though I watch the American one more, I liked the British one more. It's just easier to watch American.

Translating British comedy into American comedy almost never works. (Look at the American Red Dwarf *shudder*)
But the American office works really well. British one was still better though...

Honestly I have never seen the British version of The Office. Although, Steve Carell is incredibly funny!

Is the British version worth watching?

The_Cookster said:
They're both pants.

I never understood that. "Pants"? What is so bad about pants? I enjoy sporting a spiffy new pair of pants. They also hide Mr. Johnson from the elements, which is definitely a plus. What is the alternative to pants? Shorts? Well those are all fine and good in the summer but once fall hits my legs git a tad chilly. Also my boss would hardly appreciate me walking in with shorts at the next business meeting!

What else is there? Skirts? While they do look comfortable, the only men able to pull it off are scottish and they call them kilts. Clearly a scottish person I am not.

So once again, I must make the inquiry; what makes pants so bad that it is used to describe a level of distaste?

The US Office has picked up some steam, and I credit Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson for it, but the original Office is classic, and in my opinion a superior show.

The British version is most excellent. I have always enjoyed British comedy sitcoms or whatever you would call them. jcD, what was the American Red Dwart? Also, Frozen, there are also britches. Maybe he is saying that he is British and prefers that term as supposed to the more American way of express the idea of, well, pants.

American. I liked the American version much more and got some laughs out of it. I felt I related a little too much to some of the situations in the British version, too many "fuck that's awkward" moments. I know that's what the aim of the program was, well that and to film a sitcom in a documentary format, but it didn't make me laugh much. :|

Frozen said:
The_Cookster said:
They're both pants.

I never understood that. "Pants"? What is so bad about pants? I enjoy sporting a spiffy new pair of pants. They also hide Mr. Johnson from the elements, which is definitely a plus. What is the alternative to pants? Shorts? Well those are all fine and good in the summer but once fall hits my legs git a tad chilly. Also my boss would hardly appreciate me walking in with shorts at the next business meeting!

What else is there? Skirts? While they do look comfortable, the only men able to pull it off are scottish and they call them kilts. Clearly a scottish person I am not.

So once again, I must make the inquiry; what makes pants so bad that it is used to describe a level of distaste?

They're assosiated with genitals. Preferably sweaty; hairy ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle