Board Games

Bretimus_v2 said:
Plus, Matt Leacock has another great game, Pandemic. It's another great co-op game. That I've owned for awhile.

61U%2BLb%2Bp80L._SX522_.jpg
My friends had a huge board game weekend this week, so I got to try a bunch of new ones. One of which was Pandemic, and holy cow it was ridiculously fun.

But the other ones we played were:
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
67058-1519-thickbox.jpg

I mentioned this one before, but I just want to reiterate how great it is.

So the way it starts is that everyone is on the same team, and you're put in an empty house. The house is generated by adding in new tiles each time you explore a room, and in every room you can get items, haunted items, or weird stuff can happen.

Then after certain conditions occur, everything goes to shit and one person on the team becomes the betrayer, depending on what happens. They then have to accomplish their goals while the rest of the players try to either stop them or escape, depending on the scenario that occurs. For example, in one scenario the betrayer (me) had to kill another player and then open a portal to hell in order to win.

It can support up to six people, and is honestly a must have for any adult game night.

(I'll post the rest when I get a chance to write more for them)

Bought Forbidden Island today and the boys love it. We've won as many as we've lost. The younger boy is a horrible team player.

What I noticed from this is wishing my social life was better. The last board I played was when my mom's place lost electric. We played Clue.

Board games are pretty fun to play with mates. I like to play Zombicide with my friends. Haven't done that in a while though. In all honesty as fun as it can be, it can be a little tiring because a single game of Zombicide can be anywhere between two to four hours, we only play at night so by the time the game's done it's past midnight.

Can be a little tricky to do when you're up at 6:30 AM and then you've gotta be up early the next morning to coach kids... plus I've gotta lug all the stuff from my house and whatnot.

Still, it's fun to play board games with friends. :)

That's the one thing I've heard about Zombicide. It's tons of fun, but requires a fair amount of time.

Ugh, you should find a local board game store and drop by on game nights. I think you'd have fun and you might meet some nice people. Or you'll meet douchey nerds, it happens.

I finally played 5 player Catan, and it was really good. I totally won without having Longest Road or Largest Army. *achievement unlocked sound*

After that we played Munchkin.

munchkin_game.jpg

I had never played it before. It's a deck-building game where the first to build their character to level 10 wins. On each player's encounter, the other players can choose to either help him for a share of the treasure or help the monster to keep the hero from leveling up or potentially kill him. Or both, which is really great. Aid the monster to make it too difficult for your buddy to beat, then offer to help him but you're gonna need all his treasure.

It's a really popular game that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's meant to be a sendup of D&D, so I'm sure more avid fans of that would get all the references and in-jokes.

My only issue with it was kind of a big one, but only because this was our first time playing (we played twice): the rules are too vague. They're vague by design, to force a sort of house-rules environment. If you come up against a confusing spot, you just argue until you establish how it's going to be interpreted in YOUR games. I like that in theory, but it makes it tough for beginners. I think we were handling our hands and how we played them completely incorrectly, but we didn't know any better and the game didn't explain it any better.

Yeah, I'm guessing I didn't need to type that description up because you're all probably pretty familiar with it.

I've never played Munchkin, but I have played Drunk Quest. Which is pretty similar, but with alcohol.

UghRochester said:
What I noticed from this is wishing my social life was better. The last board I played was when my mom's place lost electric. We played Clue.
Most game shops do board game nights, so you can always go to one of those and learn some new games with people. I've gone a couple of times, and they've been pretty fun.

No. Used, I think it's good that you typed it up because there are probably more people than you, me and Longo reading this. And they might be new to all of it. But munchkin is totally fun until someone acts like they are the end all be all of game rules.

Bretimus_v2 said:
That's the one thing I've heard about Zombicide. It's tons of fun, but requires a fair amount of time.

Ugh, you should find a local board game store and drop by on game nights. I think you'd have fun and you might meet some nice people. Or you'll meet douchey nerds, it happens.

I completely agree. Ugh you should do this if you get time. As Bretimus has already said though you're either going to meet some really nice, awesome people or some downright wankers/arrogant nerds.

Sometimes "hobby shops" have tabletop gaming on te weekends. Usually war games but maybe something you're interested in.

I dunno if you've done this already Ugh, but I think a good idea might be to check out MeetUp.com

You could use MeetUp.com and see if there's anyone in your area who may be interested in playing board games or starting like a gaming group and whatnot. Also as used44 mentioned, hobby shops sometimes have gaming days/nights.

If they don't, then perhaps you might be able to bring it up with one of these shops and see if it might generate interest?

I think I've mentioned it before, but other than Cards Against Humanity, the only board gaming I get is on my iPad....Better than nothing I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle