Atheism vs Christianity

Bazooka56

Rookie
I been having problems these days. Im starting to believe that this god business is a bunch of bullshit. I don't see any signs that God exists. The many peopleare starving and the bible says that God loves everyone. This is love? Anyway the bible is old stuff. It could be stories or someones imagening those stuff and just wrote them down. I think i will become an atheist and don't care if the priests try to kill me.

I'm an atheist, but I'm keeping a glint of Christianity solely for the experience of going into a black gospel.

AAAAMEN!

I also hate people who say, "God has his own plan", to someone who just got fired.

Unless it's after a big life changing event I find it odd that you could just go from one extreme to another.

Why do you have to be so certain? I'm an agnostic, although I do lean towards Atheism.

Rekkie7 said:
Unless it's after a big life changing event I find it odd that you could just go from one extreme to another.

Why do you have to be so certain? I'm an agnostic, although I do lean towards Atheism.

Well first of all science almost explains everything. Also this days the world is becoming a cesspit and another thing the bile says if we break one of the ten commadments we will go to hell but even the most religious one breaks them.(Especialy the 9th one)

Krowsnose said:
Atheism vs Christianity is soooooo 2006

I should have become an atheist 3 years ago.

I believe the proof is in the pudding.

And by that I mean the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

http://maps.lds.org/

Before you shut out all beliefs in your mind, try using that site, walking into church on Sunday, and asking to see the bishop. He'll probably be most available at 11:00 AM or 1:00 PM.

Honestly, I can see why you'd have doubts without having heard a lot about the Mormon faith. You don't have anything to lose, though. Give it a go. Or ask my familiar face anything you want to know before you go see a stranger, and I'll give you my best answers.

Oh, but I'll be gone for a week starting Friday. San Diego beckons....and so does Christ. ;) Just remember that. We don't want anything but to help you.

I remember the first time I truly questioned my faith. It was on the schoolbus coming home, and it was a longer trip than usual. The topic comes up somehow, and it ends up everyone, all of whom were christian, against one guy, who said that God didn't exist. Well, he was my friend and I couldn't let him fight by himself, so I pretty much joined his side. We did schoolyard arguments, ie we made shit up, but in the end it left me questioning everything I believed in.

Well, kinda. I never went to church, so I didn't really give a damn.

I'm an aethiest. I just know that there's no heavenly being out there, but I'm no going to be a d-bag to people who believe in it. I think it's fueled by the fact that I never went to church, except for weddings or baptisms.

The first time my faith got called into question was when I was about twelve. I realized how much pain and suffering there was in the world and I simply declared myself Atheist after a couple days of thought. A few years later I was doing some thinking again, and noticed that Atheism and Christianity have something in common. They're both glorified ignorance. You can't prove there is a God out there, but you can't prove there isn't either. Remember, Atheism is simply stating to the world that there is a 100% chance that every single faith is wrong and that God does not exist.

I renounced Atheism at the age of fourteen. Some people would call that Agnosticism, however I don't really declare myself that either. I find life more enjoyable to not align myself with any faith and simply go my own way. If I had to say I believed in anything I now believe in Karma, simply because it tends to keep me good.

schimmel said:
Atheism and Christianity have something in common. They're both glorified ignorance. You can't prove there is a God out there, but you can't prove there isn't either. Remember, Atheism is simply stating to the world that there is a 100% chance that every single faith is wrong and that God does not exist.

I renounced Atheism at the age of fourteen. Some people would call that Agnosticism, however I don't really declare myself that either. I find life more enjoyable to not align myself with any faith and simply go my own way.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm an atheist, and very proud of it. The reason I'm an atheist is because everything in the world is rational. Everything can be explained. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. Just because we can't explain it now, doesn't mean there isn't one. But that's just what I think.

I don't shit on people for being religious. I'm no so much against the fact of people believing, but people who wear it on their sleeve and claim it's the truth, and try to mix it in with the rest of society (i.e: laws, education, etc.). Religion is a personal thing, which should be kept within your own home, which is why I'm also against organized religion.

I think it's good to test what you believe in. It keeps one from becoming ignorant or nieve so kudos to you, bazooka.

I don't think I've ever believed in god or anything in the bible. Actually I've never paid much attention to it. Always been a wild and free pagan running in the forests naked. Just the way they hate it.

Still I'm a part of Lutheran church. Funny thing.

I find Buddhism the most interesting religion and if I would start practicing some religion, Buddhism would be it.

i agree with Mac, this topic doesn't do much. people on both sides are pretty much fanboys.

that said, cuz i know it never ends, there are some things i don't get. for example, why is science always polarized to God? i mean, would a god, ya know, use science to do its business?

another question, what is this "good" that atheists throw around? is it decided on a personal level? or is it a universal good? what is its foundation?

finally, why is suffering a cause to not believe in a god? my guess is that it goes like this: if god is good, then he wouldn't want us to suffer, and if he's all-powerful, then he could make it so we don't suffer. so he's either not good, not powerful, or neither. or, just non-existent. but...what if suffering were necessary for something more important? not "his plan" or some mystical mumbo-jumbo, but stuff like free will, and the fixed nature of the world around us. cuz in order for us to have selves, there must be others (or else we'd simply be all that is). for others to meet, it must be in some sorta fixed world, a world where fire heats at one distance and burns at another.

i don't know much i guess. it's good to ask these questions, tho i don't know that forums are the best place

^Your point about evil was best said by some of the Natural philosophers, who said the world was characterized by opposites (i.e we can't have peace without war, bad without good, etc.). Look them up, they were very smart.

Also, the theory of evolution doesn't rule out the possibility of god. In fact, Darwin himself was a believer.

And Affen, good choice on Buddhism. Even God is a buddhist.

ha, yea Rakon, i graduated with a degree in philosophy, so i've read a couple of them before ;) for the most part, i think aristotle had it right. i know, i know, i'm antiquated

i also know that a degree in philosophy mostly means squat

God's a buddhist? which kind? ha cuz there are several flavors, and some of them are downright silly. to say suffering is the greatest evil, yet claim our present self is an entirely new and distinct person from the self of before (not in the "i've grown" sense but the metaphysically distinct sense), it makes me scratch my head

Maybe Alien vs predator was on to something...

im mostly agnostic although I do believe in a higher being. Maybe it's God, maybe its something we never even tried imagining.

rubicon7 said:
another question, what is this "good" that atheists throw around? is it decided on a personal level? or is it a universal good? what is its foundation?

It's a moral good. Usually subjected by certain laws and universal truths that they hold to their beliefs. I for one dislike the Atheist who presses his views on me as much as I dislike the Theist who does the same. Like I said, I've associated myself as a nothing and I enjoy life a lot more not having to worry about which faction I side with. Think of me as the religious version of Switzerland.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle