Anyone into Fitness? Weightlifting?

GR is healthy!
I can dig the wrestling reference there, sucka--er, Anthony.
Urban boxes? Damn dude, I see you're trying to cut weight but you're like heavyweight size right now. Have you ever thought about going into the amateurs? You're still young enough to do something, and Heavyweight is a money division.
How I weaned myself off of meats everyday was to go raw tuna with pepper, no mayo. 1 can everyday, until you can make it 1 every other day. Replace the mayo with mustard. Mustard has 0 calories.
Cut fast food nearly completely. I prepare damn near 95% of my meals at home.
Water. Tuna. Fruits, vegetables, nuts. Pretty much in that order is an easy way to cut weight.
Also, a sort of Pavlovian conditioning trick is to brush your teeth after what you consider to be your final meal of the day, the idea being you're less likely to eat after brushing your teeth for the night. This actually works. But like Wicked says, just do whatever is comfortable for you because any exercise is better than none, and once you begin seeing results you'll want to up your workout further.

C_nate said:
Then I settled down. When the wife was pregnant, I started getting big with her.

Now she is on my case to lose weight .

She asked you to lose weight?
...WTF!@@#?@?#?RW
If you were to ask your GF or wife to lose weight you would be SKEWERED!?!

What is all this talk $h!t out going on - what happened to silently shunning your significant other until they "get the hint"

Anthony_Severino said:
Lifting heavy weights primes your hormonal response for nutrient partitioning, meaning less of the food you eat goes to fat, goes to muscle instead, and helps you lose fat faster.
This is why I need to join a gym. Muscle burns fat faster and better than just being a twig. I have a friend who's a personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness. Dude is JACKED, but he's also SHORT. But his diet is incredible. The amount of money he spends on protein is why I decided to go the toned route, and not for bulk.
dude has his own YT channel and gets free whey from advertisers or something, though. It's working out for him pretty well.

Rakon said:
I wonder where intotherain is. This would be his favourite thread ever.

meh its been done before... and i feel like an idiot running into a thread like this cause everyone already knows i love fitness/workin out.

and the whole needing 1-2g+ of protein per pound of bodyweight is a huge myth. i used to buy into it, and while i got gains for sure, my gains are no different consuming 1-150 grams of protein a day than they were when i was consuming 3-400 grams a day.

only difference is my kidneys like me more, and my wallet.

eat healthy and clean, lift heavy, sleep and rest lots. all there is to it.

as long as you're consuming more cals than you're burning you will grow and get stronger. if you're burning more than you're consuming you will lose strength and burn fat and a bit of muscle. period.

intoTheRain said:
Eat healthy and clean, lift heavy, sleep and rest lots. all there is to it.

Ain't that the truth! I wish more people realized this instead of looking for a magic pill or secret routine.

I eat plenty of protein, probably more than 1g per lb of bodyweight, but only because it's what I like to eat. Give me steak, chicken, pork, etc over ice cream and cookies any day.

The whey and casein is more because I trained in a fasted state. So I try to keep that amino acid pool full. But I could do without them.

UrbanMasque said:
C_nate said:
Then I settled down. When the wife was pregnant, I started getting big with her.

Now she is on my case to lose weight .

She asked you to lose weight?
...WTF!@@#?@?#?RW
If you were to ask your GF or wife to lose weight you would be SKEWERED!?!

What is all this talk $h!t out going on - what happened to silently shunning your significant other until they "get the hint"

Yeah, we don't do any of that silent shunning. If something is bothering one of us about the other we get right down to brass tacks. So one day she was like, "You gained way too much weight and you need to do something about it." And I, while rubbing my belly, responded with, "Yeah, you are right. I just hope you are ready for all the competition you will be getting when I get in shape. Some pretty young thing might try to steal me away from you." To which she replies, "I'm not worried, I can handle them. They need to worry about me."

How can you not love that?

Waaay too much effort. Once a week I lift dumbells, do jack knives, then finish with bicep curls all about 20 mins before I go to bed. It's so exhausting! But I only do it to keep things "toned" rather than make anything bigger.

Im naturally thin so I don't really work out. I'm a stoner so I eat constantly and in large amounts but never specific diet just whatever I think will taste good. I don't really practice yoga but a few times a week ill stretch out on the floor.

I have a bike...but im lazy its a electric bike.

Just finished a 5 hour work out of moving furniture. Getting muscular by helping other people move. Laundry machines and huge leathers sofas combined with 5 floors of stairs combined with narrow doors.. uhhh.

I used to hit the gym religiously. 5 days a week, diet like no other, etc. But not anymore, got a new girlfriend and spent my time with her instead of the gym. Neglected died, ate out more instead of focusing on diet and only went once or twice a week to try to maintain. We broke up a month ago and now I'm just getting back into it.My lifts have gone down as well as overall size but i dont really mind, just trying to build it up again. I did a modified routine of Layne Nortons PHAT. Also no more WHey cos im a tight arse LOL.

lokness said:
I used to hit the gym religiously. 5 days a week, diet like no other, etc. But not anymore, got a new girlfriend and spent my time with her instead of the gym. Neglected died, ate out more instead of focusing on diet and only went once or twice a week to try to maintain. We broke up a month ago and now I'm just getting back into it.My lifts have gone down as well as overall size but i dont really mind, just trying to build it up again. I did a modified routine of Layne Nortons PHAT. Also no more WHey cos im a tight arse LOL.

I've been thinking about trying PHAT after I'm done with a little more progression in Starting Strength - how have you been liking it/how did you like it?

I trained for hypertrophy for years, but never really got all that strong. So even though I'm not a beginner by any means, I wanted to stick to something that focuses on strength like SS. But now that I've gotten stronger, I want to move back into hypertrophy and that's the routine I have been eyeing.

Let me know what you think.

Anthony_Severino said:
Very good. I had no idea you all were staying so healthy
Technically, I'm not trying to stay in shape. I'm just being a Scrooge and saving money as much as I can. I have no car, so I ride my bicycle and bus (mostly my bicycle, because it cost me $3.25 for bus). I always have to rotate product at work, because my crew is f*cking morons and don't understand what F.I.F.O. means. I consider myself overweight, I'm sure everyone can agree on that. But, I'm not so badly overweight that I'm gasping for air every five seconds. I don't smoke cigarettes and rarely drink soda/pop (nowadays, it's Arizona Green Tea). What probably makes me heavy is the fact I drink a lot of chocolate and/or regular whole milk.

I stay healthy by going to the gym 5-6 times a week on a 3 day rotation of lifts with every other day doing abs. Works good for me I also eat a ton of food a day too but its mostly good food.

Anthony_Severino said:
lokness said:

I've been thinking about trying PHAT after I'm done with a little more progression in Starting Strength - how have you been liking it/how did you like it?

I trained for hypertrophy for years, but never really got all that strong. So even though I'm not a beginner by any means, I wanted to stick to something that focuses on strength like SS. But now that I've gotten stronger, I want to move back into hypertrophy and that's the routine I have been eyeing.

Let me know what you think.

I don't think i could ever go back to splits, PHAT is awesome. Like i said though i did a modified version of it. i.e added in my own lifts, didnt always focus on strength. When i first started lifting i did SS for 3 months. For about 6 months i did your average bodybuilding splits. I wanted to try to mix things up so i gave PHAT a try. Let me tell you, shit canes at first. Your first week will be fucked. You're sore for a couple of days because you trained legs yesterday, but in 3 days you're about to do it again! It goes against the grain of 6-7 days rest per body part. I liked the high frequency of hiting all bodyparts twice a week. Like i said though it hurts at first but your body adapts. DOMS only last 1-2 days at the most after a couple of months and you'd be thinking how can you train when you're this sore - if you fight through it your body does overcome the soreness and your lifts increase.

Just remember to keep adding weight and do your compounds at the start of the session. And dont forget to lift heavy.

lokness said:
I don't think i could ever go back to splits, PHAT is awesome. Like i said though i did a modified version of it. i.e added in my own lifts, didnt always focus on strength. When i first started lifting i did SS for 3 months. For about 6 months i did your average bodybuilding splits. I wanted to try to mix things up so i gave PHAT a try. Let me tell you, shit canes at first. Your first week will be fucked. You're sore for a couple of days because you trained legs yesterday, but in 3 days you're about to do it again! It goes against the grain of 6-7 days rest per body part. I liked the high frequency of hiting all bodyparts twice a week. Like i said though it hurts at first but your body adapts. DOMS only last 1-2 days at the most after a couple of months and you'd be thinking how can you train when you're this sore - if you fight through it your body does overcome the soreness and your lifts increase.

Just remember to keep adding weight and do your compounds at the start of the session. And dont forget to lift heavy.

I like the sound of it. I'm going to put my routine into Excel later so I can track my progress, and I'm going to do a modified version of PHAT.

Best part of it is that you say there's DOMS. I fucking love being sore. The more sore, the better. No idea why, but I've always loved it, and almost don't feel like I did enough work/intensity unless I get soreness.

Thanks for the tips.

Often times I just read the first post and the last post to get an idea of what's going on in a thread.

Anthony_Severino's OP said:
I know that video games and physical fitness don't often go together, but it doesn't mean it can't.

Do any of you work out? Run? Lift? MMA? Serious fap sessions that could qualify for a workout?

Anthony_Severino said:
I fucking love being sore. The more sore, the better. No idea why, but I've always loved it, and almost don't feel like I did enough work/intensity unless I get soreness.

:shock:

My method didn't fail me today.

I used to be super overweight. Weighed 128kg (282 pounds) by January 2009. I got into Judo though and lost 32kg (about 70 pounds) in nine months. I originally took up Judo to learn self defence and had no idea it would make me lose crazy weight, but best decision I ever made. At the moment though, I weigh 104kg (229 pounds).

After my weight loss... I was pretty thin, so last year a friend of mine convinced me to start up weight training with him at the gym. I gained muscle and mass, looked better but... it wasn't practical. I went to the National Australian Judo championships, fought in the under 100kg division and I got STOMPED. While down there, some of the guys told me that I should invest in explosive power lifting for weights training.

At the moment I personally train in Judo two to three times a week, then I'm at the gym three times a week as well. Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons I'm at the gym, Tuesday and Thursday nights I'm at Judo, Saturday morning I'm at Judo - if I wake up on time. :p On Saturday or Sunday, I'll go for a run generally in the afternoon.

I used to go to the gym five times a week but I found going to the gym and then straight to Judo, I would be wrecked. I'd get so tired too quickly and my technique would go down the drain... so now I'm trying three times a week to see if that improves my performance and learning at Judo.

Mondays for weights and power lifting I focus on chest, Wednesday is back, Friday is legs (my favourite). I don't do much core work at the gym, because it's a part of Judo. Judo also does cardio for me. After the weights (I spent about an hour-ish weight training) I'll spend about half an hour throwing my 120 pound grappling dummy - http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.vol ... 1325187182 - 120 pounds doesn't sound like much but... it's dead weight, so when you pull it off the ground, you have to keep it standing, when you pull it off balance to throw, you have to keep it up. I use the dummy to try and practice technique, but throwing and dragging the dummy in itself is a good workout.

One problem about all this fitness... less time for my art and video games. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod