What were your fave movies of 2013?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by WickedLiquid, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Well if you were offended then I would have to mock you so good for you. But I have heard people in real life say it was corny how the image of Jesus was on display during her scene where she says she was never taught how to pray. Then the ghost of Ocean's 11 past enters all smooth cause he's totes dead and in a better place. And before the pod enters the atmosphere Bullock says "no matter what happens it'll make a hell of a story" - which of course means even if she dies she will continue to exist in some form.And then her final line where she says "thank you" to God, or mother nature, or whatever, as she is back on Earth.

But seeing how you didn't pick up on it my point is the film isn't preachy and anyone who thinks so is an idiot.

2. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

You're right. I forgot about this very enjoyable movie.

3. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

[​IMG]

..no, no.. I got it..
    but it didn't distract me from the film. The message in the film to me wasn't 'theres someone looking over us", "praise gaia" or "be greatful", it was more "Dat will to live".

Also, it isn't assumed that George Clooney is dead, if anything I'd say she was hallucinating due to lack of oxygen, and that one hell of a story is kind of the same thing but you take what you want fromm it and I'll take what I want. Thats life. Either way, the ending was stereotype hollywood which was disappointing for a film that was so unique leading up to there.

4. Lien

Lien Rookie

12 years as a slave.

*drops mic*

*picks it back up* ...also captain philips... *drops it again*

5. UrbanMasque

I havent seen any of those.. and I want to see both, but American Hustle will go to the top of my list.

6. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Urban I wasn't implying you were dumb, just that if it was preachy it wouldn't have been so subtle and easy to catch because it was thrown in your face, as I was told by pretentious film critics. I'm glad you're not the hipster atheist douches I was stuck with at the bar debating Gravity.

Merry Christmas.

7. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly never even noticed the preachiness about Gravity, I just thought that would have been a better ending with the way the story went.

8. danielrbischoff

Yeah, like what the fuck is with people? Everyone wants to kill Sandra up in space because she's pretty and she doesn't belong there? Fuck you scientists. Let the movie have a happy ending and let the audience get some relief.

9. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

Honestly I'm normally a movie buff but really haven't watched jack in 2013. Have been ridiculously busy and when I have spare time it's been kept pretty occupied by video games. But last night I was bored and decided to watch The World's End. I can't believe how much I enjoyed the movie, even with a plot I would normally find too ridiculous to enjoy. It was just done well from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So that's my one vote.

The world's end.

10. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

I'm gonna be that guy that changes his vote to some Sundance cinemaphile favorite - Mud.

Yep, I'm that guy now.

Hella story, brah. hella.

Saw Hunger Games 2. Worthy.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wP5ZkaUGg
    for #1 2014 movie

11. UrbanMasque

[​IMG]

12. Wes

Wes Rookie

I just saw The Desolation of Smaug and Anchorman 2. They were the best films of the year from their genres by far!

1. The Hobbit: TDOS
    2. Anchorman 2
    3. Thor: TDW
    4. Man of Steel
    5. Gravity

13. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Thor
    Man of steel
    Book thief
    Frozen

14. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

You really liked Desolation of Smaug? Man, I fucking hated it. For one thing, I made the mistake of seeing it in HFR, and holy shit does that make the CGI look god-awful. I mean, the giant gold statue thing looked like something from a PS2 era final fantasy cutscene. I really hope it wasn't that bad in normal frame rate.

SPOILERS BELOW

Also, I'm a huge fan of the book, and there just is barely anything similar between the book and the movie besides the basic plot line. None of the action stuff exists, and the awful female elf character is totally made up as well (I mean, they could have done something with that, but she was just so flat with no personality, and basically just served to get Legolas more screen time. Such a waste, and the love triangle was awful). The forest stuff didn't do the book justice, and they rushed the pre-mirkwood section. The scenes with Smaug and Bilbo were great - best addition by Jackson to any of his Middle Earth films. However, the battle in the mountain shit was atrocious, didn't really fit with the narrative in general imo.

But yeah, my general review was "if you haven't read the book, you'll probably love it. If you have any attachment to the book, you'll probably hate it." I and all my friends who went to see it with me fell into the latter group.

15. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

The best films I've seen this year:

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Evil dead
    Oblivion
    The Heat
    The Wolverine
    Frozen

Films that will likely make the list once I see them:
    The Hobbit TDOS
    Mud
    Kon Tiki
    12 Years A Slave
    All is Lost
    American Hustle
    Gravity
    Philomena
    The Wolf of Wall Street
    Captain Phillips

Frozen, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, Monsters University and Despicable Me 2 all hold a special place though as this was the first year my daughter went to the movies and these are the ones we saw together.

Not exactly a small list, I know :/.

Oh and Iron Man 3 was good but definitely overrated.

16. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Shit I've seen an embarrassingly small amount of 2013 movies. Really I'm a home viewer and most of the stuff I'm interested in isn't even out of theaters yet. So I'll catch up next year, as always.

17. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Life of a parent.

18. UrbanMasque

In my opinion, movies released in December of any year should be considered for the next year's awards only.

19. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

24 hours left to vote.

20. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, even before that I've never been a timely movie goer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.