What is the greatest horror game of all time?

Diabolus

Rookie
Playing through Dead Space has inspired me to make this topic. Part of me wants to say Resident Evil, or Resident Evil 2.

But then I remembered that 'most influential' and 'greatest' are two different things. So as of right now...I think it's Dead Space.

The sense of tension and foreboding is nearly unparalleled, except for perhaps Silent Hill 2.

Sure, it's more action than survival, but it's all horror all the way. :)

harry_mason.jpg

And

silenthill2therewasahollq1.jpg

Silent Hill 2 is magificent, but I feel that it's hurt by it's 'fill in the blanks' storytelling. The game makes absolutely no ****ing sense whatsoever.

masterchris and I are diehard Silent Hill fans, and there are many others at GR. So if you're really confused about anything you could just ask.

But you should know that the reasons why a lot of people including myself enjoy the series is because of it's WTF story that asks you to dig deep for it's answers.

Hexagram said:
masterchris and I are diehard Silent Hill fans, and there are many others at GR. So if you're really confused about anything you could just ask.

But you should know that the reasons why a lot of people including myself enjoy the series is because of it's WTF story that asks you to dig deep for it's answers.

Oh, I definitely like the series. In fact, I'm also playing through Silent Hill Homecoming.

:)

Awesome stuff man, also don't take what I say as elite stubborn fanboyism, lol
I'm just sayin' I like the series.

Dead space doesnt come close to Silent hill. Dead space is all jumpy moments and at times predictable, scaring the audience with surprise tactics rather then pure horror.

Silent hill on the other hand, messes with your head. Shit is is psychological. Real Horror, and the not some phoney scare tactics which we see now in everyday 'horror films'.

You actually felt vulnerable in Silent Hill, you weren't a hero of any sort and topped with the limited ammo in the game proves my point even further.

lokness said:
Dead space doesnt come close to Silent hill. Dead space is all jumpy moments and at times predictable, scaring the audience with surprise tactics rather then pure horror.

Silent hill on the other hand, messes with your head. s*** is is psychological. Real Horror, and the not some phoney scare tactics which we see now in everyday 'horror films'.

You actually felt vulnerable in Silent Hill, you weren't a hero of any sort and topped with the limited ammo in the game proves my point even further.

I don't really recall ammo being too limited in Silent Hill 2 or Silent Hill 3. I think I've done more running in Homecoming than I have in any of the others.

Best Horror action: Resident Evil 4

Best Psychological horror: Silent Hill 2

Also Fatal Frame and Clock Tower are good horror games that involve no combat at all. Well, you could consider taking pictures a type of combat in Fatal Frame, but it's not real combat.

And Hex, your second pic of SH2 is awesome. It reminds of when I played it and I never really understood what that meant because it was near the beginning of the game, but now I think I do get it... craaaaazy stuff!

Diabolus said:
I don't really recall ammo being too limited in Silent Hill 2 or Silent Hill 3. I think I've done more running in Homecoming than I have in any of the others.

Yeah neither do I, but thats probably because i avoided conflict with most my encounters. You cant really do that in Dead Space, because everything is so tight and small forcing you to plough through the enemies. Dead space is more shooter then it is Horror, thats not to say the game is bad or anything, but the 'greatest horror game' goes to Silent Hill 2 imo.

Well I'm sure the people that have played this game have something god awful to say about it...but that first Alone In The Dark that was on 3DO and or whatever other system it was on .(too lazy to look it up). I thought that game wasn't great and the controls made me question my existence....but something about that old mansion with the great sound and cheesy horror sfx...and you character...whether you chose the man or the woman...they both looked like they would never make it out the place alive both walking around with those ugly shapes on their faces....whatever they were in for...i thought they deserved it but i was scared for them and myself

Have to agree with Silent Hill being the best, since I'm a big fan of the psychological horror stories. Fill in the blanks to freak yourself out. Though RE is great for those shock moments, I still remember when the Licker jumped through the two-way mirror in the interrogation room.

bloodiedmirror said:
Though RE is great for those shock moments, I still remember when the Licker jumped through the two-way mirror in the interrogation room.

Yeah, I remember it like I was 19. Because I was. :)

Edit: Actually, upon looking it up, I was 21. :shock:

GhostTrip said:
And Hex, your second pic of SH2 is awesome. It reminds of when I played it and I never really understood what that meant because it was near the beginning of the game, but now I think I do get it... craaaaazy stuff!
I still don't get it. :(

But I agree SH2. I cried at the end, out of fear and joy. Nothing has made me do that ever before or after.

I feel Resident Evil on the Playstation was the best Horror game of all time.

Not only was the game CREEPY, but it was very difficult.

Resident Evil 2 was more of an action game and was basically more of the same.

How about LEFT 4 DEAD? That game is really fun and it feels just like the movies. Unless you want to leave it out of this because its a Zombie apocolypse game rather than survival horror.

Longo_2_guns said:
GhostTrip said:
I still don't get it. :(

highlight for spoilers

There's a part in the game where James keeps jumping down hole after hole. This was only going on inside his head though since at the end of it all you wind up on the same level you began. It's as if he was journeying deeper into his head, to his repressed thoughts of killing his wife.

So I think that message was written by another person who was called to Silent Hill and went through the same thing. Going deeper into his head or whatever. And he/she probably went crazy from the experience and wrote that message.

At least that's my take on it.

for the record silent hill is shit. same with resident evil. horrible controls and not scary at all and redundant stories.

the only game that ever made me jump was FEAR and a couple parts from dead space with the sound up really loud

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod