E3 2012

Went to sleep during EA, so I missed all the good stuff. I was only left with a bitter taste of shit after Microsoft.

Ubisoft had two god awful hosts but their games stood out especially Watch_Man.

Sony showed ship battles in Assassin's Creed III,. which looked amazing to me even though it didn't made sense. Almost wished that it is its own game like Age of Pirates. The Last of Us gameplay trailer looked good too. Although, I still don't get why you would bring a 13 year old girl to a gun fight then ditch her in the middle of it to take cover in a room. Then they showed the Wonderbook which is the act of molesting books in front of the PS Eye.

I think Nintendo's new strategy is to see how many Super Mario titles they can release with the word "new" in there somewhere....

So I was watching the G4 coverage earlier today and after the first hour and a half, the cynical side of me started to emerge. It seemed like 75% of the games were either some 1st or 3rd person shooter with cover mechanics.

Farcry 2, Crysis 3, Deadspace 3, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor, Boderlands, Halo 4, RE 6, Tomb Raider, the Alien Space Marine game

Watching the coverage of these games back to back to back to back started to actually piss me off. I was getting shooter fatigue just watching the demos. Even the one that seemed the most interesting to me, which was The Last of Us had me saying "It's just Uncharted with Zombies." but still looked intriguing enough to want to know more about it.

It has me less than enthusiastic about the future of games to say the least.

Welcome to the post-N64/PS1 generations...we like to shoot things. Our predecessors had a predilection for jumping on them.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Welcome to the post-N64/PS1 generations...we like to shoot things. Our predecessors had a predilection for jumping on them.

That generation made us like to shoot things (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, SW: Shadows of the Empire, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor, Turok, etc., etc.).

I feel like this E3 was horribly over-hyped by just about every company involved. They got me all pumped for it, the anticipation kept building, then nothing, and now I'm left with a serious case of the blue balls. Tomb Raider had better be as good as they say. Otherwise, I just hope South Park rocks my blue balls off. It's sad that it's the game I'm most looking forward to after E3.

Also, no price cuts Sony? Fuck you.

Price was shockingly avoided throughout this whole thing.

And LG, I meant everything from that gen on. But yeah, NES and SNES were definitely a different style. 3D made shooting more prevalent.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Price was shockingly avoided throughout this whole thing.

And LG, I meant everything from that gen on. But yeah, NES and SNES were definitely a different style. 3D made shooting more prevalent.

I wasn't trying to refute what you said, just expound upon it.

I didn't watch the Nintendo presentation, did they mention anything about price or a release date for Wii U?

Kevin Pereira mentioned it yesterday, and I agreed almost completely.

You can just about count the original IPs shown at E3 this year...on one hand.

Sequels everywhere...they should of called it E4.

Ubisoft had the horrible hosts, there is no doubting that, but they showed off some really good stuff.

EA made me cringe. I wasn't too impressed with Warfighter. They touted an open world for Crysis, but then when they showed it, it didn't really seem that open. I understand the demos often being well-trained or on rails, but still....the BO2 video looked more open world...

EA played it safe, so there was nothing really to write home about except the Need for Speed which actually looked good.

Ubisoft had the standout because their games had great values and were able to stand out from the blase FPS titles we normally see, especially Far Cry 3.

And Watch Dogs was so different from everything else it was impossible to not notice it.

Microsoft tanked, they focused on social media making and are attempting to appeal to the Apple crowd, which is a bad move because Apple is not revolutionizing anything.

Sony had good bookends, but the middle was...bad. They failed to get any fire going for the Vita, and instead gave more time to the Storybook than their handheld...

Think about that for a moment.

As for Nintendo, they did what they could to sell the Wii-U and I felt they did a good job. Still some questions in general, but overall out of the big three they had the best conference because they were the least offensive, and actually got me excited over the system and its capabilities.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle