E3 2018 Roundup - Your Thoughts?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So, what did everyone think? I personally thought it was a bit hit and miss. What did you like, what didn't you like? Are there any games you're excited for? There are a few games that have popped up on my radar, thanks to E3.

I'm excited for...

Resident Evil 2 Remake: I'm super excited for this. I love that the game play looks similar to Resident Evil 4 and I actually like Leon and Clair's more modern, realistic redesign.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: It's essentially an upgraded version of the Wii U version, but it's going to have every single character from all the past Super Smash games, including a couple of new ones. I'm also happy to hear about some of the game play's restructure.

Spider-Man: This looks awesome. I'm hearing some criticism online that claim the game is ripping off elements of the Batman: Arkham games, but I reckon if it works, then who cares.

The Last of Us: Part II: Loved the first one, so I'm super keen for the next one. Shame to hear that there's no release date as of yet, but it looks amazing so far.

Cyberpunk 2077: No game play, but I'm excited because I love the cyberpunk genre and CD Projekt Red are amazing developers, so I trust them completely with this one.

I'm not quite excited for this next list, but I'm at least interested in...

Fallout 76: I love Bethesda's Fallout games, but this one, I'm a little skeptical of, especially with the whole... always online/online only, multiplayer focus. Still, I'd like to see how this pans out.

The Elder Scrolls VI: I want to say "I'm excited" for this, but the teaser wasn't enough for me.

Jedi: Fallen Order: I love Star Wars but I hate EA Games. I'm interested to see how this pans out, especially considering we didn't get anything like game play, or video etc. Bring back Star Wars: 1313, please.

ANTHEM: I'm skeptical because of how Mass Effect: Andromeda turned out, but we'll see.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I'm probably one of the few people that didn't like Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I'm not super keen for this, but I'm interested to have a look, check out reviews etc.

Devil May Cry 5: It kinda looks... exactly the same as before, just with better graphics. I'd like to see how this turns out, especially considering the plot of DMC4 was garbage and left so many unanswered questions.

Things I will probably play:

Skull and Bones
Love me some pirate stuff, and the sailing looks straight out of AC4 (which was the best sailing in any game ever).
It looks like the best pirate game ever made, so I'm gonna go for it!

Cyberpunk 2077
Okay. Fucking. Yes please. Like I haven't seen anything that sounds so delicious since probably the Witcher 3 was announced (and keep in mind I fuckin loved 1 and 2 and read the books and such).
Like, if it's good, it'll be a testament to what video games are meant to be.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Mark me as fuckin surprised, but I'm looking forward to an Assassin's Creed game for the first time since 2009!
I heard Origins was good, so that improved + the Peloponnesian War setting + sailing a Trireme + cute as fuck protagonist (and the girl is pretty good lookin also!).
Yeah, count me in on this one, baby!

Battlefield V
Yeah, probably.

Death Stranding
Okay I admit, I didn't watch the trailer. Nor do I even know if that's actually the title and not "Death Standing" or something. But you know what? It's gonna either be a masterpiece or a disasterpiece, and either way I'm here for it.

Those two Samurai games
I don't remember what the names were, but they looked cool.

Things I probably will not play:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Edition
I think I hate the Smash Bros franchise. Like, it's a neat concept, but there's such a disconnect between how the hardcore players want to play it and how the game is designed, and I definitely fall on the side of "This game is so much better with all items and wacky shit all the time."
So I think I'll just not care, because I don't.

Just about everything console exclusive
I don't own any. If it isn't on PC I ain't getting it.
Though by the time Death Stranding and Kingdom Hearts come out I may get a PS4 I dunno.

Fallout 69 and Elder Scrolls 69
Bethesda hasn't made a good game since 2008, and even then a far smaller company took their game and made it 10x better in a whopping year and a half.
So you know what? I'm just gonna ignore them. Because I don't want to play their dumb shit. I don't care, and if you do you probably shouldn't.

Things I might play and might not I dunno yet:

All the Indie stuff
Indie games at E3 come and go, but who knows? Maybe Maneater will be great.

Spider-Man
Due to the aforementioned lack of a console I can't play it, but boy oh boy do I want to.

I haven't seen all the presentations and trailers yet, but so far:

Spider-Man looks great! I don't care if it's recycling Arkham combat mechanics, because those are GOOD mechanics! May as well complain about a game reusing the left stick to move and the right stick to turn in a first person shooter.

The Last of Us Part II is a sure bet for me. Love the first one and feel it is one of the masterpieces of that generation. Just watching the trailer makes me want to play the original again.

Ghost of Tsushima looks like a cross between a Tenchu game and Assassin's Creed, maybe with a bit of Way of the Samurai thrown in. Sign me up.

Just because I love the madness of the man, I can't help but be excited by Kojima's Death Stranding. It looks trippy as hell. The trailers leave me wanting to know more about that world, so they're doing their job.

I am legitimately excited and intrigued by Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. I haven't played an AC game since 4 (though I do own Unity), despite liking the series overall I just haven't seen enough change to the formula to want to pick up a new title in the franchise. Frankly, Odyssey doesn't even look like it should be an AC game, but just one that uses similar mechanics and stands on its own. In any case, the gameplay looks fun and I just hope the story is engrossing. With the chosen time period, it has no excuse not to be.

Not interested in pretty much anything that is multiplayer focused. I don't want to have to worry about connecting to servers, joining up with groups, or getting ganked by random assholes when I'm just trying to have some fun in my limited free time.

Certainly agree about The Last of Us: Part II, COMaestro! I'm really tempted to play the first one now, as I still have the Game of the Year remastered edition for PS4.

Anyone else thought that the Sony Press Conference's a little weird? Like they had that sound issue and it looked like they kept moving people around. Then when they were talking about Spiderman everything cuts off and that was it.

Other weird E3 highlights are Frodo looking at the camera at the Ubisoft conference and muttering, "Noooo..." and Andrew W.K. playing to a... unexcited crowd.

As for games... I'm super excited for Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk, and Sekiro. Fallout 76 could be good but I hope you have the option for solo mode like in Elite: Dangerous. Still don't know what Death Stranding about but it looked cool. I'm also excited for the RE2 remake. Used to played it a lot as child and seeing those lickers gave me some serious flashbacks, man.

Last edited:
E3 was a blast to go to this year. I'm glad I got to cover it for the site. I purposely didn't watch The Last of Us Part II or Spider-Man demos because I am on an intense media blackout for both but I am very interested in:

Just Cause 4
Ghost of Tsushima
Dreams*
Super Meat Boy Forever*
Trover Saves the Universe*
Ori and the Will of the Wisps*
Tunic
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Doom Eternal
Devil May Cry 5 (RIP DmC2)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

There is probably more but that's a decent list.

There's about 4 things from E3 this year that I'm excited for.

Devil May Cry 5 - A combination of the classic series' characters with a notable but not unwelcome influence from the aesthetics of the DmC reboot. Definitely giving that a go once it comes out.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Can't say much as I didn't see much, but I saw enough to keep my eye on it.

Doom Eternal - Because DOOM 2016 was awesome

Monster Hunter: World - I want more reasons to hunt monsters. That FFXIV crossover is another reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle