What is the first console you started your gaming out with?

bloodiedmirror said:
The Magnavox Odyssey2 was the first one I played in my household. Oh yeah Pick Axe Pete.

I just did a search of the Odyssey2..

..Check out the specs:

CPU
Intel 8048 8-bit microcontroller running at 1.79 MHz

Memory:
CPU-internal RAM: 64 bytes
Audio/video RAM: 128 bytes
BIOS ROM: 1024 bytes

Video:
Intel 8244 custom IC
160í—200 resolution (NTSC)
16-color fixed palette; sprites may only use 8 of these colors
4 8í—8 single-color user-defined sprites; each sprite's color may be set independently
12 8í—8 single-color characters; must be one of the 64 shapes built into the ROM BIOS; can be freely positioned like sprites, but cannot overlap each other; each character's color may be set independently
4 quad characters; groups of four characters displayed in a row
9í—8 background grid; dots, lines, or solid blocks

1.79 Mhz? Damn.

Oh yeah Lethean, it was quite the machine. Haha. I remember I used to love some of those games. I think we had 5 or 6 games for it.

The very first console I played was the Sega Entertainment System. I was just a toddler then. But then I received the Sega Genesis a wee bit later. I skipped the NES and the SNES to go to the N64, not sure why, most likely because my family was very poor. So overall, from everything I remember, I would say the Nintendo 64 would be the console that got me started in gaming, with such games as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Wars games, and oh yes! Mario Kart! and Diddy Kong Racing! The next console was obviously the Playstation, but it took me awhile to get into it. Until Final Fantasy VII came along and swept me off my feet. So I played that for awhile, and then the PS2 came along, and the main games for me there were Gran Turismo 3, and Final Fantasy X. Those are the only games I can remember playing. I know I rented alot of games, but none of which stood out like those ones did. THEN the Xbox. I received this piece of machinery for christmas, and got hooked on it immediately for one reason. The controller. The most comfortable I've ever held. I played around on Halo a few times at a friends house, never thought too much of it until I finally got it online. But the game that got me hooked on the Xbox was Morrowind. Hands down, that was the greatest game created at the time. Even now there is nothing like it, except for Oblivion. Which leads us to the most current console, the 360. I haven't played any of the other Next Gen Consoles, I am much too closed minded. Games that have hooked me here are Oblivion, Halo 3, blah blah blah. And now I'm just waiting for the 360 to be returned to me, as I've suffered the red rings of death, so I may play Fallout3, Fable 2, and Gears 2.

Getting back on topic, the Sega Entertainment system was the first console I ever had, But the 64 is what I remember the most.

Lethean said:
I just did a search of the Odyssey2..

..Check out the specs:
You like that? Check out the specs of my favourite (and first) console, the Intellivision:

* General Instrument CP1610 16-bit microprocessor CPU running at 894.886 kHz (i.e., slightly less than 1 MHz)
* 1456 bytes of RAM:
o 240 í— 8-bit Scratchpad Memory
o 352 í— 16-bit (704 bytes) System Memory
o 512 í— 8-bit Graphics RAM
* 7168 bytes of ROM:
o 4096 í— 10-bit (5120 bytes) Executive ROM
o 2048 í— 8-bit Graphics ROM
* 160 pixels wide by 196 pixels high (5í—2 TV pixels make one Intellivision pixel)
* 16 color palette, all of which can be on the screen at once
* 8 sprites. Hardware supports the following features per-sprite:
o Size selection: 8í—8 or 8í—16
o Stretching: Horizontal (1í—, 2í—) and vertical (1í—, 2í—, 4í— or 8í—)
o Mirroring: Horizontal and vertical
o Collision detection: Sprite to sprite, sprite to background, and sprite to screen border
o Priority: Selects whether sprite appears in front of or behind background.
* 3 channel sound, with 1 noise generator (audio chip: General Instrument AY-3-8910)

But boy oh boy was it ever great at the time. Kicked the pants off the Atari 2600 - at least visually. But it had a 16-bit processor, so technically it was the first 16-bit console! :D

NES

I had an NES. im only 21, so i really wasnt around for the beginning with atari or whatever. i had my NES for a while, but my exgirlfriend jacked it. so i went to her house and jacked her brothers gamecube... i thought it was hers.... alls well that ends ok

The first console I ever played games on was the SNES (and the game was Mortal Kombat II).

The First console I ever owned was the N64 (and the game was Super Mario 64) (which remains one of my favorite systems systems/games to this day!)

Damn, the first console I owned was the Sega Genesis, but I ended up going back to check out the Atari 2600 and played "Combat"
EDIT: I have to check to see if I posted in this thread

A PC gamer since the beginning Monkeygoat soon progressed to Nintendo Gameboy Pocket at the age of 7 or 8. His first non portable console was a Sony Playstation, obtained Christmas '00. This was followed by a Dreamcast in '01.

The videogames first dug their rusty hooks into me at a very young age, as I stole away to play adventure on the atari 2600 in my buddys basement. THen another lad in the neighborhood got his hands on an Intellivision, and I could feel the addiction settling into my soul.
It wasn't until christmas of '88, still the best day of my life, that I finally got my own console. The NES (with powerpad no less!!!) which was just about the sexiest thing my young eyes had ever seen.
I then spent the rest of my youth buying just about every failed console the market coughed out. Not only was I the first to get the Sega CD (I even had Night trap, which was an awesome game!) and the Sega Saturn (I think they released 7 games total for this fuking system), while everyone else bought a gameboy, my forward thinking ass bought an Atari Lynx (what, you never heard of the Lynx? Well it was in color beotch!).
Having learned my lesson, I waited to buy a dreamcast until it was about $50. Mostly so I could play Shenmu.
Now it's 2010, the games are more pertty, more plentiful, and a hell of a lot more addicting. I await the arrival oh my shiny new PS3! woohoo!

My first experience with gaming was sitting with my Dad and playing Commander Keen, Doom and Wolfenstein on the PC. I was in charge of the shooting and my Dad would do all the unimportant stuff (like moving the character and actually making progress in the game) I don't think I helped that much but to the old man's credit he would always come get me if he wanted to play. After that we got a Gameboy classic and Kirby but the first console that I got all to myself was the Xbox.

Some days I wonder if I was born in an old arcade because my first real memory of trying to play a video game was in our community swimming pool before swim lessons. I was not tall enough to reach the arcade controls, and I have no idea what the game was but I wanted to play it.

As far as a console goes though it would have to be a NES - good old Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. I definitely went back and played some Atari games, but NES is where I started.

First console I've owned was a colecovision. I remember my mom gott it from a yard sale for dirt cheap. Then a few months the snes was released and my dad got me one.

I miss my colecovision and I bought a snes today. It's yellow as piss so I might mod it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Playnft