What are ya playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of both. It's very similar to Dead Island. From my experience the game seems to focus on melee combat from improvised weapons. Weapons can be upgraded, deteriorate, be repaired etc. and the game has a fair amount of RPG elements into it, like skills and such. You can also craft a lot of items by finding blue prints and materials.

During the night however, the game feels very survival horror. Night time is when the "Volatile" zombies come out. These guys run fast, jump high and are essentially super zombie hunters. You can't really fight these guys, it's best to just run away and use environmental traps to distract them.

The parkour mechanics make it feel very 'survival horror" especially when running away from zombies, or volatile zombies in particular.

I've been really thinking about getting a PS4 lately...must resist the urge...although I will cave when Persona 5 is released, trying to hold out until then.

Been playing Danganronpa lately though, it's pretty entertaining.

I have 4 or 5 games on the go right now.

Resident Evil Remake
The Evil Within
Dragon Age Inquisition
Shadows of Mordor

I haven't played SoM in a while. The Evil Within I like but it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

With DA:I, can I play through on hard just controlling my own character? I'm not a fan of stopping the action and micromanaging my party. I didn't mind it so much in KOTOR but it was also a little bit quicker it seemed.

Lethean said:
With DA:I, can I play through on hard just controlling my own character? I'm not a fan of stopping the action and micromanaging my party. I didn't mind it so much in KOTOR but it was also a little bit quicker it seemed.

You can't, really.

I'm sure you've already seen, but there are things in Dragon Age: Inquisition that may require another character/class to perform. Bashing down a wall requires a warrior, unlocking a particular locked door requires a rogue, while certain obstacles can only be repaired using someone with magic.

It doesn't slow down the game that much but yeah, you'll have to switch party members to perform these executions. I found if I approached a locked door and tried to open it, Varric would say "Here, let me try" or something, but he actually wouldn't do anything unless I switched over to him and made him do it. I wish that stuff was automatic.

You can sorta "program" your party members in terms of their tactics, what skills they may use in what order, when to use healing potions etc. When it comes to combat, I find the only type of party member I have to micro manage (like using the tactical camera) are magic casting characters. Everyone else I kinda just let loose and do their own thing.

Master_Craig said:
Lethean said:

You can't, really.

I'm sure you've already seen, but there are things in Dragon Age: Inquisition that may require another character/class to perform. Bashing down a wall requires a warrior, unlocking a particular locked door requires a rogue, while certain obstacles can only be repaired using someone with magic.

It doesn't slow down the game that much but yeah, you'll have to switch party members to perform these executions. I found if I approached a locked door and tried to open it, Varric would say "Here, let me try" or something, but he actually wouldn't do anything unless I switched over to him and made him do it. I wish that stuff was automatic.

You can sorta "program" your party members in terms of their tactics, what skills they may use in what order, when to use healing potions etc. When it comes to combat, I find the only type of party member I have to micro manage (like using the tactical camera) are magic casting characters. Everyone else I kinda just let loose and do their own thing.

I'm fine with that. I suppose I meant as long as it's just simple character swapping to perform a command or execute a quick command. I don't really want to assign specific characters to specific targets or tell them to flank on this site, etc etc. I want more RPG than RTS you know?

I agree for sure. I think the tactical camera is a nice idea, but yeah, I do agree.

The only reason I "micro manage" sorcerers is because sometimes they have a tendency to run right up to a big, bad melee-based opponent and get the shit kicked out of them while they try and use spells.

Minor spoiler: Also when fighting dragons, you've gotta micro manage to a small degree, mostly when the dragon uses its wing/wind attack thing... because anything outside their radius gets slaughtered. When the dragon starts doing it, you've got to get everyone inside the circle, then get your spell casters to back off a little once its done. End spoiler

I have a Sword/Shield warrior who's a Champion. Champions don't seem to die, they seem pretty much invincible, but they don't seem to have the damage output? I'm guessing that's more a Reaver's style?

I decided to check out Darkest Dungeon...

It's now six hours later and I am still enthralled, even if it is occasionally blindingly unfair.

I still need to finish GTA V 's story again, but Knack was $10 during PS Store's flash sale. I bought that despite people saying the game isn't great. I also pre-ordered The Order: 1886, because I got my federal refund and wanted to take a risk. I expect it to be another 3rd person shooter.

Green_Lantern said:
I've been really thinking about getting a PS4 lately...must resist the urge...although I will cave when Persona 5 is released, trying to hold out until then.

DO IT GL! For my first Persona experience I feel like I'd need you, Longo and Daniel next to me.

Expeditions Conquistador, using diplomacy against the savages as much as possible and really should have brought another scout. They're brutal for flanking attacks and could have used some in slaughtering the heathens that tried to steal our hard-earned pillaged loot. It's growing on me now that I got my land legs for it and haven't even reached South America yet.

MattAY said:
Green_Lantern said:

DO IT GL! For my first Persona experience I feel like I'd need you, Longo and Daniel next to me.
I haven't play any Persona games. Am I able to join this group, MattAY?

I'm stuck on my low level build in Dark Souls (SL7). I can't get past Seath. I could certainly just cheese him, but I want that tail weapon and my current strategy just isn't working.

UghRochester said:
MattAY said:
Green_Lantern said:

I haven't play any Persona games. Am I able to join this group, MattAY?

You'll have to name a waifu on entry....I believe...

And hey Brett!! I'm playing Transistor too!

The gameplay is really something. Swapping around the functions in the various slots to get different results - it's great. When you die you lose a function - it forces you to use another, it really is quite clever!

I'm also going through Life is Strange. It's a good story and time-travelling gimmick. I played through the first episode all the way through. A very relaxing game though - if you get bored easily it's probably not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod