Uh-oh! Religion debate!

Seeing as how we're only one component of the universe, I don't think we'll ever be able to comprehend it in its entirety. Every conclusion we come to is reached through the means of our brain. And who's to say our brain has a perfect analysis of what's real.

I'm glad to see there's more people out there who are skeptical of what scientists claim to know as truth. It seems to be a trend for people to denounce all faith in religion and then take that faith and put it all into science. I guess the unknown freaks people out too much.

Krowsnose said:
Seeing as how we're only one component of the universe, I don't think we'll ever be able to comprehend it in its entirety. Every conclusion we come to is reached through the means of our brain. And who's to say our brain has a perfect analysis of what's real.

I'm glad to see there's more people out there who are skeptical of what scientists claim to know as truth. It seems to be a trend for people to denounce all faith in religion and then take that faith and put it all into science. I guess the unknown freaks people out too much.

Science isn't a religion. Faith has no place in science. People who blindly follow whatever a scientist says are idiots.

Religion is for people who are scared of the unknown, science claims to know very little when it comes to the universe.

Krowsnose said:

The difference, that I see at least, between science explaining how we all got here and religion is that science is more willing to retract and revise if something new is discovered. Religious beliefs are not really worked on, for lack of a better term. They are just believed, and that's the way it is. Trying to change something that's in the Bible or the Koran will likely be met with fierce opposition.

I can certainly see why people believe in religion.

If nothing can be proven and ANYTHING is possible then why not believe in something over nothing? I can understand how one would have a more optimistic view on life if he believes he has a purpose as opposed to man kind just being a big accident.

The only thing I can't stand is when religious people take scripture from the bible as fact when they should be taking it as theory.

FrozenBacon said:
Science isn't a religion. Faith has no place in science. People who blindly follow whatever a scientist says are idiots.

The sad thing is, I believe the majority of the online community who are teenage Atheists think it's cool and a good way to piss off their parents. They don't believe in God because they're just going along with the crowd.

One thing that I've noticed is that a lot of religious people try to make it seem like they (i.e. their religion) are being persecuted or unjustly targeted/kept out of certain aspects of society.

^ For a large number of people, that is true. Talk to a Shia in the nineties or a Sunni five years ago. Many individuals are persecuted because of their faith.

Fair enough, and I won't argue that under dictators like Saddam Hussein (and others throughout history) HAVE been persecuted because of their religious belief.

However, what I'm referring to is when someone of the Christian faith wants to put up a statue of the 10 Commandments, or want Intelligent Design taught in a science class, or any of the other instances where religion is the basis behind a social norm, and then claim that it's all part of the "Liberal left's" (or whoever else is opposed to it) attack on their faith.

I'm not religious. Any truly religious person will always fall back on...what else, faith. If something happened, didn't happen, will happen, is completely unexplainable by any means is simply god's will. That's what religion is, being able to pass anything unquestionably onto a higher power.

I personally cannot do that. However that said, I do believe some people do need to do that. So if it makes it easier for them to cope with life that way, all the power to them.

But brainwashed bible-thumpers can all die. :twisted:

I LIKE CHEESE MOTHER F-ERS. BTW, CAPS BIOTCHES. I CAN DO THIS ALL DAY. IN FACT, I'M GOING TO. THATS RIGHTS. I'M A RANDOM MOTHER. AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

(please don't ban me)

UglykitteN said:
However, what I'm referring to is when someone of the Christian faith wants to put up a statue of the 10 Commandments, or want Intelligent Design taught in a science class, or any of the other instances where religion is the basis behind a social norm, and then claim that it's all part of the "Liberal left's" (or whoever else is opposed to it) attack on their faith.

I certainly agree. There are so many people who haven't the slightest idea of what real persecution is. The notion that not having your beliefs taught to a larger societal audience is persecution is sad, terribly sad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod