Uh, er, bonjour!

yorky

Veteran
Salut les gars!

So, 2 years later...I've survived France. As a missionary. It was chouette.

What have I learned from this experience? French. A love of many peoples. A love of many places (Carcassonne, Cannes, and Toulouse, to name a few). A firmness of faith.

I could go on and on.

So it's good to be back, but it's difficult to have left.

Still...je vous embrasse, mes freres bien-aimes.*

*I'm not even going to worry about accents on an English keyboard.

I was wondering when you'd be back. :D

If you're wondering why I'm still here, I'm on a local service mission.

I concur - stories please. Did you save a french child from eating a croissant MADE...in ENGLAND?!

yorky said:
Still...je vous embrasse, mes freres bien-aimes.

Comme c'est merveilleux. Je suis vraiment contente que tu avait un si bon moment. Paris est la capitale artistique du monde et un endroit trí¨s romantique. Les filles belles í  Paris ou juste fou? :p

Nah, yorky will be back, Dan. He's re-immersing himself into life as we know it.

Welcome back, yorky. It's nice to see that Nibley quote in your signature again. Sounds like you had a good mission, picked up some language skills and enjoyed yourself.

Also, didn't realize so many people spoke French on here.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Also, didn't realize so many people spoke French on here.

I think Matt used a translator. It's "Je M'appelle Mathieu" not "J'mappelle Matt" hehehe. :p

...Dammit.

Well that's merely the results of my French classes. Feel free to ask for tips.

Sorry for the wait (it's a hectic period).

I've got some cool stories, but they'd be cooler with some pictures that I took which are not yet uploaded, so it'll have to wait.

In the meantime... well, I guess I just found this one amusing. It was about a month ago in Grenoble. We regularly taught a family (there were at least 20 people) of Romanians who lived in an abandoned house. We were in the process of teaching them the normal gospel lessons, but given the circumstances (they couldn't speak French, and they couldn't read or write in any language) we decided to start up a French course for them.

Anyways, that has little to do with the story but it gives you an idea of the situation. So one day we were leaving their house, and a few meters over we walked past this kid (early twenties, I'd say) who was standing rather suspiciously in one place in front of some storage garages. So we struck up a conversation with him, and it went something like this (but translated):

Us: Hey...so, what are you up to?

Kid: Just watching out for the Romanians...

Us: Why's that?

Kid: They keep getting into the garbage!

Us: Well, yeah, they're poor....

Kid: They're crazy!

We left that conversation with two questions in mind. First, why was that garbage so important, and second, how long did that kid intend to stand there?

-----------------------
I've got other stories, I just need to sit down and look through some old journals to dig them up. With so much happening my mind's kind of gone into a "if I can't remember everything, I won't remember anything" mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle