The People Speak Week 3: Game of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case you guys haven't seen the latest TPS (hey, I just realized) manifesto post, this thread will be active for two weeks. I figure the topic is big enough and I'm busy enough to get a little lazy with this.

As I've done in the past, I'll check back in here and try to reinvigorate the discussion if that needs to happen.

Anyways: What is Game of the Year 2010? There have been a ton of games released this year, but don't let the blockbusters outshine your favorite game of the year. Tell everyone what you played the most, enjoyed the most, or flat out deserves the game of the year over anything else.

If you're talking about Game of the Year flat, please only pick one game. If you're going to throw up a ton of titles, separate them into genres, platforms, whatever. Get it? Got it? Good. See you in two weeks for the next TPS.

A lot of love has been given to Red Dead Redemption but I never played it.

God of War 3 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were the best games I played this year. Since I'm pretty sure GOW is going to get more love over Mario in this thread I'm gonna say...

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mass Effect 2, for the simple fact that it was an enthralling experience to play. A great story, deeper characters than the original, better combat and RPG mechanics and a great presentation overall. It came out early this year, but it is still the best game I played this year by far.

WickedLiquid said:
A lot of love has been given to Red Dead Redemption but I never played it.

It deserves all that love and more and is easily my Game of the Year.

John Marston isn't merely another wooden puppet that you push around a landscape shooting anything that moves in the quest for better guns, filled XP bars, and/or cheevos. He is a cowboy, and a complex individual. As his reputation and fame (or infamy) spread across New Austin, you learn alongside the residents who John Marston is. There is some great exposition throughout and some great supporting characters. The game delivers a wonderful three act experience with an awesome third act and well-deserved epilogue. So many of these characters have an origin found in Western characters from classic movies and books.

Ultimately, Westerns have really taken a back seat in video games. And when one is released...it's usually bad. I guess I'm just grateful for a great story, amazing setting and tone, and fun as hell gameplay. Plus, It didn't just improve off of Red Dead Revolver, it's leaps and bounds better.

OK, this is a tough one.

After much consideration, I've narrowed it down to Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and Halo: Reach.

And, following further deliberation, I must give it to Halo: Reach, for simply showing us that split-screen multiplayer is still very much a viable way to go.

I'm going to base my vote on a completely legit yet biased format, on the only game that I played that was released in 2010 and of which I've played all in the series prior to it: Etrian Odyssey III.
It helps that I had it pre-ordered.

After, a whole lot of deliberation, I've finally decided. But first, lets view all the candidates, shall we?

First off, we have Mass Effect 2. Now really, the only award Mass Effect 2 should win is "Most Disappointing Game of the Year." While I could write ten pages on why it was a terrible sequel, I'll sum it up. Basically, the first game was going in the right direction, and instead of continuing down that path they stopped, chucked half the game out the window, made a complete U turn, and went down the worst street they could've. So it's out.

Next we have Starcraft 2 and Halo: Reach, which I'm going to lump together to save time as I can sum it up really easy for both. They're rehashes of 10 year old games without substantial amounts of change/improvement beyond graphics. Good games, but GOTY they are not.

Black Ops is also like that, except replace "10 year old game" with "a game that came out a year ago." So it's out.

God of War 3, Alan Wake, and Heavy Rain, which looked like possible GOTY's were also good, but just not tuned enough to be it.

So really, we've got two main choices. Red Dead Redemption and Fallout: New Vegas. New Vegas improves on EVERYTHING 3 had to offer, all while sticking much closer to the actual roots of the series. Red Dead Redemption on the other hand was going in a direction that only Gun had ever gone. And RDR was far better than Gun. However, both still have their flaws: NV was pretty buggy and RDR could've easily been fleshed out another 5 hours worth, as like half the characters just disappear forever after a short few scenes. So, therefore, I'm going to have to give the GOTY award to...

Demon's Souls, which is absolutely flawless.

Does red dead redemption: undead nightmare count? I mean... zombies plus cowboys = major fun!

If not, then Mass effect 2, the only game i replay NOT because of gameplay, but because i love the story, lore and universe i'm thrown into. Yay for bioware for making a good western RPG!

and i love to say world of warcraft, but to tell the truth, that would be cheating...

Red Dead Redemption does deserve this title, but I feel people are going to be what was the biggest hype about...

That's why I choose Halo: Reach
Halo: Reach was a great game and had one of the greatest multi-player online. If Halo: Reach doesn't win this title, it'll probably win Best Mutiplayer.

Naruto Shippuuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2!! KAWAAIAIIIIIII

Bahaha I kid.

Halo: Reach is fucking fun! So I concur with that recommendation.
Now - MY game to put forward will be Vanquish. Just to be different.
Great fun, I just couldn't stop playing it. Achievements were fun too! Plus, a sequel should be coming woohoo!

I KNOW it's Red Dead Redemption that SHOULD take GOTY ... but we all know the hypetrain will give it to Halo:Reach or Mass Effect 2, so really, why think about something that makes me sad.

Personally, no game that is a freakin' sequel deserves game of the year. There's nothing new about it, just a continuation of an older game, regardless of how good it is.

To throw a curve ball, the GOTY should not go to a game, but to a service: Steampowered, or just steam. In this past year the good folks at valve have not only brought thousands of games to the market, they've made them work for the ever prissy Mac systems. They've brought indie games and foreign games to the forefront such as the STALKER series, Metro 2033, Kings Bounty, World of Goo, Zen Bound 2 and Killing Floor. Their awesome sales (Left 4 Dead for 5 bucks!) rock too.

This person hath spoketh...

Oh, and, EDIT: Minecraft. Respect.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Personally, no game that is a freakin' sequel deserves game of the year. There's nothing new about it, just a continuation of an older game, regardless of how good it is.

What about...

Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Doom 3
etc

WickedLiquid said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:

What about...

Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Doom 3
etc

Let me edit that to "no game that is a freakin' sequel this year."

The sad thing is, I haven't played any games this year that weren't either sequels, or titles in a long running franchise, or new enough to have been released this year. That's what I get for being a poor college student who can't afford to spend hardly anything on games.

I think for pure innovation and being the most lifelike game that isn't Second Life, Heavy Rain should take the GoTY honours. But....Are you looking for mass appeal, fun factor, innovation or what?

WHAT ABOUT KINECT GUYS?!?!

J/k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle