The People Speak Week 2: under appreciated game of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, welcome to The People Speak. This week's question?

Search your mind. Think back to January. Think of all those downloadable games. Think about a flash game you played but no one else knew about. What was the most under appreciated game of the entire year?

Does Demon's Souls count? I mean, it just released in Europe. Because if so, that's the number one, since it's also the number one underappreciated game from last year.

Also on the list, SMT: Strange Journey. Course SMT is still pretty under-the-radar franchise, and SJ was the first game they made that wasn't only for a Japanese audience.

And special mention goes to Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which was pretty much the most fun fighting game ever made.

There are probably some more that I missed.

I'd be happy if Valkyria Chronicles, Phoenix Wright and Epic Battle Fantasy (flash game) get a bit more recognition.

They're good games. :)

I concur with Epic Battle Fantasy 3 - awesome stuff.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/548041 <-- that's the link to it.

I think PoP: Forgotten Sands was a little underappreciated. It was the same gameplay as the original sands of time trilogy, but with a great addition of freezing water.
Apart from it being a little easy, and the combat being a tad stale, I cant think of any other flaws it would have.
I'm guessing the dissapointment of the 2008 PoP not being continued didnt help that one much. Plus, the film ruined the game as usual.

Deathspank. It's hilarious, cheap and a fairly long game for what you pay. It has a unique style and I love games that are just funny.

I've purchased Hothead DLCs before (the Penny Arcade: OTRPOD games) and found that they made enjoyable games. So when PA: OTRPOD's continuing installments got canceled for some game called Deathspank, I took notice and awaited the release.

I think that stand alone DLC doesn't have a "bad" rep so much as "little-to-no" rep. Most of these games come and go, most of them with good reason. But every once in a while a DLC comes out like Braid or that dark shadow boy one on XBL and there's a ton of focus on DLC again. It comes with the market I suppose. These games are made on a smaller scale with smaller budgets (including their advertising) and sold for smaller amounts. So they're kind of starting under the bar to begin with when compared to "appreciated" games like MoH, CoD, etc.

Etrian Odyssey III, by far the most accessible and balanced of the three and it hardly got any attention.
But then again, it was made by Atlus.

What I can think of off the top of my head...

Persona 3 Portable - only because P3P was the one that was released this year.

Super Meat Boy - It's gotten really good reviews, but I don't think a lot of people will pay it much attention even though it's a great platformer.

Minecraft - Even though it's been garnering a lot of attention lately, it deserves all the recognition it can get.

Will add more later.

I second Mindcraft, because it shows how a game doesn't need a big budget or a massive studio to be successful and addictive. It is simple, to the point and just a time sink. A really good game, and one of the best that has come out this year.

I've gotta second support for Super Meat Boy. It's an unforgiving, throwback platformer with excellent production value. I've gotten more enjoyment out of this downloadable title than most full games of late. It's coming to Steam soon, check it out if you haven't!

Technically, Minecraft came out last year in the Classic stage.

Other games this year that deserve a little more recognition.

No More Heroes 2, which was just as good as the original. When NMH: Heroes Paradise comes out this year it'll be my GOTY for sure. 1's bosses and story with 2's gameplay? Sign me the fuck up!

Yakuza 3, which was amazing and got very little recognition in the west.

Just Cause 2 also fits the bill, as it was a damn good freeroamer where you could do just about anything, and was fun as hell.

There are more too, that I again forgot.

True that the classic came out last year, but the alpha came out this past summer and it's the good version. One more Indie platformer I just remembered...

VVVVVV

Yeah, whatever. It's all good. But if that counts, then so does Demon's Souls.

And that just reminded me or another game I forgot: Beat Hazard.

Insert any music you want, combine it with great shmup gameplay that actually reaches its climax points during the heavy parts of the songs, and add a pinch of Asteroids and Amplitude. Great game all around.

Someone mentioned Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and I just wanted to point out his much dick that sucked compared to Enslaved: Oddysey to the West, the best action game of the year, and a very under-appreciated title. Not only was the gameplay tight, the characters and story were absolutely top notch. I would often have Monkey carry Trip on his back just because I thought it was sweet. There aren't a lot of recent games, big or small, that create those sort of connections between player and characters.

Also, Captain Smiley and ilomilo.

I also second enslaved, easily the most underrated title this year and one of my top picks for game of the year (list coming soon ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod