Most Dissapointing Game of the Year

Every year, there is usually a video game set to be released that makes us excited enough to pre-order the special edition of the said game with all the pointless extras. However, there is a good chance that the said game(s) won't live up to our expectations, leaving us dissapointed in the confines of our bleak living room. So what I'm trying to say is, what was the game that dissapointed you the most for this year?

To me, it was Mirror's Edge. I was really looking for to this game and the demo only heightened my expectations. When I got the full game however, I was left unsatisfied with confusing navigation, uneven pace, and trial-by-error gameplay, that made me give up the game before even I reached the halfway-point.

I'd say it's a three-way tie between:
Prince of Persia for it's linear gameplay and unoriginal storyline
Far Cry 2 for it's lack of fun-ness and an uninteresting story
Mirror's Edge for its steep learning curve and lameness overall.

But I haven't played new games this year. I'd like to see what opinions others have.. Good topic.

For me it's either Spore or Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm Of Zehir. Spore because it was meant to be this hugely deep game but instead came paper thin.I don't know about anyone else but I didn't feel any sort of reason to replay it after finishing the space stage. NWN2 Storm of Zehir because it had nearly no storyline, no real choices, no good or evil consequences. I still played it but without the story to keep me entertained it was really hard to overlook the bugs that afflict the game :(

Far Cry 2 for sure. it was a fun idea but the gameplay was horrible, it had bad controls. and people would shoot at you and you would have no idea were they were. the graphics were a major upset too.

Need for Speed: Undercover, although I don't know if there was enough hype to really be let down by it. I wish I didn't spend $60 on it though.

The biggest disappointments were definitely Silent Hill: Homecoming and Tomb Raider: Underworld - two of my favorite game series screwed up by new American game developers...
I had a feeling that Spore is going to be another over-hyped failure and I wasn't mistaken.

Mitchy_Slick_253 said:
Far Cry 2 for sure. it was a fun idea but the gameplay was horrible, it had bad controls. and people would shoot at you and you would have no idea were they were. the graphics were a major upset too.

I agree. But...the graphics? That's one of the few good things about it. It's damned near photorealistic when you're crusing down the river in the afternoon jungle.

I agree though, Far Cry 2 was definitely a big letdown.

GTA IV.

It was good at first, but once the whole side stuff and realism aspects began to creep in and hinder the fun parts about the gameplay, it got to a point where it was nearly unbearable.

LinksOcarina said:
GTA IV.

It was good at first, but once the whole side stuff and realism aspects began to creep in and hinder the fun parts about the gameplay, it got to a point where it was nearly unbearable.

GTA IV?????

Now that was unexpected

anyways mine are Fallout 3, Spore (But its still a Decent game)

BigZell2020 said:
Need for Speed: Undercover, although I don't know if there was enough hype to really be let down by it. I wish I didn't spend $60 on it though.

I recommend Grabbing Need for speed: Most wanted then

miak757 said:
LinksOcarina said:
GTA IV.

GTA IV?????

Now that was unexpected

anyways mine are Fallout 3, Spore (But its still a Decent game)

We arn't talking worst game of the year, just the most disapointing. While it's not on my list it was a very hyped game and its easy to see how it may not live up to everyones expectations.

I was hoping for more from Fable II. Super Smash Bros Brawl didn't seem to have the same magic for me as Melee did, or maybe it had the exact same magic so it didn't feel new....

miak757 said:
BigZell2020 said:

I recommend Grabbing Need for speed: Most wanted then

I worked that game over long long ago.

For me, my most disappointing games of '08...

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed:
This game was incredibly over hyped, for like two years. The whole "Force Unleashed" thing sounded really cool, the graphics were great, the physics and stuff appeared to be awesome and they promised us so much. Oh, and don't get me started on the segment when the Secret Apprentice (Starkiller) pulls down the Star Destroyer...

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. The Force Unleashed was such a buggy game, the lightsaber combat was repetitive and the overall game experience was just repetitive too. Unexciting boss battles mixed with God of War-style quick time moments while the game itself lasted only six to seven hours? Man. So not worth the $79 (normally $99) price tag... the storyline, graphics and voice acting were good, but it's as if they just.. stopped working on the game at some point, and just waited until the release date or something. The game had good ideas, but poor execution.

Mirror's Edge:
Like The Force Unleashed I was pretty excited when I saw the in-game trailers to Mirror's Edge. The graphics were simply gorgeous, the parkour "true" first person was very interesting and overall the setting was cool and unique. But the overall experience was quite repetitive and at times frustrating with the constant deaths, and getting stuck in a level with no clue where to go next is so disappointing. What annoyed me the most was of course, the play time... six hours. Ugh. What is up with short games these days? I have to commend Mirror's Edge though for trying something new and despite being short, I felt it was a good game, despite also being disappointing.

Prince of Persia:
Cool graphics, new setting/storyline... way too linear, way too easy. I can't die? What the hell, at all? That's weird. Very weird. Why is there no co-op? Why is there barely anything to unlock? Why does combat feel like glorified quick time? Why is the movement/platforming way too linear (what about Assassin's Creed)? Blah. >_<

^You're right, I know. I was originally thinking a while ago (in another thread I posted in) that it could be considered a game of the year due to the difference and whatnot but, yeah... I do believe it was just a far too disappointing game and for me, one of the games I was most disappointed with in '08. Although I think the game I am the most disappointed with has gotta be The Force Unleashed, unfortunately.

In terms of severe bugs and some broken promises, it would be Fallout 3.
In terms of a bad storyline, it would be Far Cry 2.
In terms of lack of ridiculous fun, it would be GTA IV.

All the games above had something good about them that I enjoyed, but have annoyances in them that I just can't shake.

Master_Craig said:
^You're right, I know. I was originally thinking a while ago (in another thread I posted in) that it could be considered a game of the year due to the difference and whatnot but, yeah... I do believe it was just a far too disappointing game and for me, one of the games I was most disappointed with in '08. Although I think the game I am the most disappointed with has gotta be The Force Unleashed, unfortunately.

I see what you mean. The title should read "Most disappointing game of this year". I follow ya.

And yes, Force Unleashed and Spore should both be on that list.

Gentlemen, we all forgotten the true dog of the year. A dog that was years in the making.

Too Human.

Want disappointing?

The game was originally going to be 4 player split screen co-op. Didn't happen.

The new combat system using the thumb sticks? Buggy, counter intuitive and dissatisfying.

Gameplay? Overly repetitive, oh and who doesn't enjoy a 5 minute long, unstoppable death scene.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod