So has anyone seen Avatar yet?

Chris_Crime said:
unobtainium..............................

But beyond that, this movie was great!

In engineering, fiction, or thought experiments, unobtainium is a humorous concept for any extremely rare, costly, or physically impossible material needed to fulfill a given design for a given application. The properties of any particular unobtainium depend on the intended use. For example, a pulley made of unobtainium might be massless and frictionless. However, if used in a nuclear rocket, unobtainium would be light, strong at high temperatures, and resistant to radiation damage.

The word unobtainium is derived from unobtainable + -ium (the suffix for a number of metal elements).

I too laughed at the ridiculous name they gave it but then heard it mentioned in other places.

Unless of course you knew this and just thought it was lame that Cameron wrote that in there heh.

My boss passed this (old) news story about the 'revolutionary' technology behind Avatar on to me today.

I hadn't heard of this stuff before, so pretty cool to understand more how the movie was made, particularly the 'Simulcam', where the CGI can be seen simultaneously with live acting through the camera. Makes me excited for the future of film.

I heard that Cameron also might turn this into a trilogy, is that true? I thought while watching that the world of Pandora would be ripe for more exploration, so if true that'd be excellent. I kinda feel as if this could begin a new "movie era" for a new generation, like Star Wars, where in 30 years a dad will tell his son how he remembers seeing Avatar when it came out.

Ted_Wolff said:
I heard that Cameron also might turn this into a trilogy, is that true? I thought while watching that the world of Pandora would be ripe for more exploration, so if true that'd be excellent. I kinda feel as if this could begin a new "movie era" for a new generation, like Star Wars, where in 30 years a dad will tell his son how he remembers seeing Avatar when it came out.

It is very true! Cameron had said he always had a trilogy in mind and that the story would span three films and I *think* he also said Fox had that in mind when he approached them about it.

You know what's mildly irritating? Avatar got rave reviews by critics and audiences alike but now that it's huge and bigger than anyone anticipated people are starting to jump on the anti-Avatar bandwagon.

Ted_Wolff said:
I kinda feel as if this could begin a new "movie era" for a new generation, like Star Wars, where in 30 years a dad will tell his son how he remembers seeing Avatar when it came out.
One of my chick friends said the same thing. I had to make sure she meant it as just how awesome the movie was, not that she expected it would also turn into a cash-cow.

I know someone who didn't like Avatar because, and I quote, "It was good, but, I'm not an indigenous person. I'm an American. I can't relate."

Of course, the guy who said that is a lawyer.

Avatar was insanely awesome with the detailed art and the emotional battles. Plus I lol at those cheesy love lines "I see you."

do you know why those 7 were depressed? because they couldn't actually live in Avatar land with the Mim'Bok'Bweep tribes, purple flowers, and pink horse shoes. So turn your faces, children, and let natural selection do what it does best.

Look, Fern Gully. This movie was Fern Gully.

Don't ever compare it to Star Wars again or I'll slap you in the mouth Ted.

IN THE MOUF.

I saw it for the second time the other day, this time in IMAX. It was still a great, enjoyable movie. I don't really care what bad things people have to say about it, I enjoyed it and that's really all that matters.

That's precisely why I made the Star Wars comment, Lethean. There aren't many movies today that people will see repeatedly in the theater (or heck, in IMAX). The only other movie I recall so many people saying, "Oh yeah, I remember seeing that movie X times in the theater!" where X is a number greater than 1 is Star Wars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod