So has anyone seen Avatar yet?

GRColin

Rookie
I've been hearing almost nothing but good about this movie and am very eager to see it, especially in IMAX 3D. I've heard it's just an amazing technological achievement. It also made 27 million in it's first day. I know other films made almost that in midnight shows but considering this is a sci-fi film with almost no big name stars and isn't a sequel or coming from a well established franchise, that's pretty damn good.

I'd like to keep this thread spoiler free, unless marked of course. Please, post your thoughts on it here. Also if you can please specify if you saw it in 2D, 3D or IMAX 3D.

Yeah one of my friends saw it and she said "I want to be a blue person now."

That's the effect I was afraid it would have...

To me, this doesn't look like something I'd particularly enjoy. I'm not a big sci-fi fan.
But literally everyone I know is saying how great it is! Seems it's gotten a very good reception. So I may have to check it out at some stage.

De-Ting said:

So does that mean people will stop trying to be Vampires?

Lethean said:
I know other films made almost that in midnight shows but considering this is a sci-fi film with almost no big name stars and isn't a sequel or coming from a well established franchise, that's pretty damn good.

Yeah, but its a from a famous director and a major studio and had a marketing budget of approximately 3 zillion bucks, so I'm not surprised.

I have a feeling this movie will be like Paranormal Activity for me--not something I'm particularly interested in seeing, but something I will see anyways because everybody else saw it. The 83% on rotten tomatoes is nothing to sneeze at, but does anyone else think the story is a little too close to Fern Gully for comfort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuKoD1Wbvg

hopefully I'll be seeing this sometime this coming week, but not sure. I saw an Attack of the Show interview with James Cameron on Thursday though, he didn't talk too much about the story of the movie, more the technical aspects that went into making it, but just some of the stuff they used (he had to design the cameras and fund their production and everything himself) sounds phenominal!

UrbanMasque said:
De-Ting said:

So does that mean people will stop trying to be Vampires?

Oh goodness, I hope so.

I am very intrigued by the film. The plot seems to be very predictable but I wouldn't watch it for the plot.

Cameron peaked in 1991 with T2. "True Lies" and "Titanic" were boring as hell and "Avatar", despite its beautiful visuals, is going to be another disappointment. The man is a genius, but there's never going to be another "Aliens" or "Terminator" - he has told his story. The rest is just a nice bonus...

Caped_Crusader said:
Cameron peaked in 1991 with T2. "True Lies" and "Titanic" were boring as hell and "Avatar", despite its beautiful visuals, is going to be another disappointment. The man is a genius, but there's never going to be another "Aliens" or "Terminator" - he has told his story. The rest is just a nice bonus...

Right but...I don't care about that. I care about what those of you have seen the film thought about it.

I wanna see this too, i might go watch it tomorrow, for it is 'tight ass tuesday', where tickets are half price. :D

i refuse to see this farce of a movie that is obviously a anti war statement. go suck my dick james cameron. you haven't made a good movie since aliens. go fuck yourself.

1260857264345.jpg

Caped_Crusader said:
The abyss is his best film imo.

Lethean said:
Caped_Crusader said:

Right but...I don't care about that. I care about what those of you have seen the film thought about it.

I personally didn't like it even though I wanted to...
Don't really know what happened, but Cameron has definitely lost his mojo. Yes, he still makes insane amount of money, but the magic is long gone.
He made "True Lies" only because Arnie suggested it to him. "Titanic" was made because of the possibility to visit the wreck. "Avatar" was made because he's absolutely batshit crazy about 3D and CG. With Terminator, it was one man and his story first, everything else came second. That's why people still talk about it. Now, it's the exact opposite.
CG is and always will be cold and soulless, it doesn't have a human heart, no matter how hard you try.
And "Avatar" is all about CG with over the top, larger than life action scenes. Unfortunately the story is a boring, predictable cliche seen hundred times before and characters are literally "alien".
Hopefully next time, he'll eventually get it right, again... No matter what, he still remains as one of my favorite movie directors ever and I'm glad to see he's finally back doing his thing.

^ He may be batshit crazy about CG, but he's had the script written for over a decade now, and if you watched the AOTS interview he said he's had the idea since he was a kid. He just felt that now was the time to make it since technology is finally right for his vision. I haven't seen it and you clearly have so there is a difference in what you think versus what I think. I'm hoping to like it though, Cameron is a badass, and you can't deny that.

schimmel said:
^ He may be batshit crazy about CG, but he's had the script written for over a decade now, and if you watched the AOTS interview he said he's had the idea since he was a kid. He just felt that now was the time to make it since technology is finally right for his vision. I haven't seen it and you clearly have so there is a difference in what you think versus what I think. I'm hoping to like it though, Cameron is a badass, and you can't deny that.

Cameron may say whatever he wants, but the question is do you believe him? For example, have you heard about Harland Ellison or Poul Anderson? If not, read here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/26/is- ... son-story/

and watch this:

Terminator Origins: Harlan Ellison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyyJ3D3g1E

Don't get me wrong, I love Cameron and what he did with "Aliens" and "Terminator" movies was absolutely incredible. But still, it makes you wonder...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle