Scott Pilgrim VS The Expendables

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by WickedLiquid, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Nurgey

Nurgey Rookie

I just saw Scott Pilgrim for the second time this week and can honestly say it is the most fun I've had in a cinema without the ushers asking me to put my clothes back on. I love the graphic novels and I was more than a little apprehensive that Edgar Wright, genius though he is, would lose the 'feel' in the process of adaptation.

Cera, in my opinion, delivers an excellent performance and all the other actors (including Tom Jane in a surprise cameo) just look like they are having an absolute blast. If you're dismissive of it because it looks like a typical 'hipster' film then I think you're selling it short and this film deserves a chance.

2. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

C'mon, Arnie is not really American. He just is one for show.

3. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I agree with BlackStar. Arnie would run for president if he could.

4. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

He's said before that he wishes he could. He'd be a really interesting candidate too. A Republican with some unusually liberal positions (like on the environment). He'd probably do pretty well if you narrowed it down to the issues.

5. Wes

Wes Rookie

I was partly joking :) Actually the whole thing you quoted was meant as a joke.

6. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

7. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

You mean like when I said that people who constantly brag and talk about how they smoke pot are annoying and should shut up? Yeah, so terrible.

8. Trippysmurf

Trippysmurf Rookie

I seem to recall you generalizing everyone who smokes pot based on some dumbass high school kids you know who also happen to smoke pot.

9. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

So I saw The Expendables at the midnight showing and I have to be honest. It was amazing. I wish Scott Pilgrim the best of luck but it won't be the number one movie this weekend

10. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

I'm definitely with Schimmel on this. I went to the midnight showing for the Expendables expecting a loud, dumb action film. That's exactly what I got - And more. It had a much higher level of quality than say "The Marine" and Stallone knew his crew which was evident in writing the script. Each actor was made for their part. Throwing in Mickey Rourke was a nice touch as well, given how strong of a performance he gave in a brief monologue. Not to mention the wit and one liners - Borderline action cheese but worthy of a laugh without an eye roll. Seriously, this movie was likely the most fun I've had at the movies in quite a long time.

11. Wes

Wes Rookie

Is The Expendables the type of movie that's so bad it's good? Like ultra cheese?

I expected that for Rambo IV and left the theatre feeling sick. Does Expendables try to be as serious (and gory) as that?

12. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Not at all. It's just a bunch of action stars having a blast on screen. It really doesn't take itself too seriously.

Oh and Rambo was actually pretty well done imo. The Expendables is a different film entirely however.

13. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

I really have no idea what Scott Pilgrim is about. Like, absolutely nothing. I hadn't even heard of it until this topic was made.

14. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Oh man, you hit the nail on the head here!

I just saw it and it was AWESOME!! So many Toronto references. When the film began my audience and I cheered!! :D It's not like we ever get a shout out in a film, at least not a graphic novel film. And usually when a movie is filmed in Toronto you're not supposed to know that, lol.

Some parts dragged but I think Edgar Wright threw in a lot of British Humour that made it drag. I like British humor, it just didn't fit in this. This is also probably the complete opposite from The Expendables, because it isn't manly at all. Expandables will probably put hair on your chest, Scott Pilgrim will wax your balls :shock:

Anyways, overall I'd say it was indeed an amazing movie!!! Big thumbs up! Video game movies may suck, but a movie done in the style of a video game actually works! If you love video games (you're on a video game forum, aren't you?) then I definaitely recommend this!!

15. Trippysmurf

Trippysmurf Rookie

Saw Scott Pilgrim. Its better if you read the comics first, but its still an interesting retelling and entertaining film nonetheless. All the characters got their performances spot on (I'm partial to Wallace and Kim), although certain Evil Exes (Like Roxy and the Twins) are relegated to minor roles due to timing concerns.

Looking forward to the expendables on Sunday Night.

16. BlackStar

BlackStar Rookie

Saw The Expendables.

The Arnie and Willis cameo was hyped up way too much. It would've worked better as a surprise, I feel like the trailers spoiled it for me. But besides that it was pretty good. When it ended I instantly went to the gym so I could get big and fuck chicks.

17. Wes

Wes Rookie

Cool. Yeah I didn't much care for Rambo IV, it just seemed too close to exploitation for my tastes. When Rambo IV ended I felt bad because that stuff actually happens in Burma.

I'm a bigger fan of the the action films that don't try to be serious, like all of Arnold's fabulous one liners in his movies. Action movies imo are supposed to work as escapism from the hardships of every day life.

If The Expendables doesn't take itself seriously and is just a fun ride I'll like it.

18. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Scott Pilgrim took a beating. I normally don't care about box office sales but Eat Pray Love did better. That's a real kick to the scrotum.

19. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Since box office sales = a good movie...

Of course Scott Pilgrim isn't going to be as big of a hit as The Expendables or Eat Pray Love....It's marketed towards a much smaller market than the other two.

20. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Not really. I think you think that, though, because I did generalize YOU into that group. But that's a topic for another time.

As for the box office, part of the target audience downloaded it for free and another part don't go to the movies because they're "too conformist." So I'm sure it's a bit more disappointing than they would've hoped.