Scott Pilgrim VS The Expendables

I just saw Scott Pilgrim for the second time this week and can honestly say it is the most fun I've had in a cinema without the ushers asking me to put my clothes back on. I love the graphic novels and I was more than a little apprehensive that Edgar Wright, genius though he is, would lose the 'feel' in the process of adaptation.

Cera, in my opinion, delivers an excellent performance and all the other actors (including Tom Jane in a surprise cameo) just look like they are having an absolute blast. If you're dismissive of it because it looks like a typical 'hipster' film then I think you're selling it short and this film deserves a chance.

WickedLiquid said:
I agree with BlackStar. Arnie would run for president if he could.

He's said before that he wishes he could. He'd be a really interesting candidate too. A Republican with some unusually liberal positions (like on the environment). He'd probably do pretty well if you narrowed it down to the issues.

Lethean said:
Wes said:
Expendable fans stop fooling yourselves. Scott Pilgrim was made for guys like us. Expendables was made for jocks who used to stuff kids in lockers.

Not really. It was made for people who love films like Predator, Terminator, Rocky, Rambo, Total Recall, Die Hard...You know, old school action flicks full of one liners and explosions. Except unlike the fakers of the past few years, this one is full of tough guys and beefcakes. The perfect recipe for mindless, indulgent fun.

I was partly joking :) Actually the whole thing you quoted was meant as a joke.

Trippysmurf said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Trippysmurf said:
Scott Pilgrim: Own all the comics, looking forward to it, but will save it for later. As for the hipster label, remember its Longo saying this, the man who judges books by covers, and judges them wrong.
I'm actually kind of curious if you have any real evidence to back this up. Because I do.

Well I could cite your skewed assumptions in regards to marijuana usage.
You mean like when I said that people who constantly brag and talk about how they smoke pot are annoying and should shut up? Yeah, so terrible.

I seem to recall you generalizing everyone who smokes pot based on some dumbass high school kids you know who also happen to smoke pot.

So I saw The Expendables at the midnight showing and I have to be honest. It was amazing. I wish Scott Pilgrim the best of luck but it won't be the number one movie this weekend

I'm definitely with Schimmel on this. I went to the midnight showing for the Expendables expecting a loud, dumb action film. That's exactly what I got - And more. It had a much higher level of quality than say "The Marine" and Stallone knew his crew which was evident in writing the script. Each actor was made for their part. Throwing in Mickey Rourke was a nice touch as well, given how strong of a performance he gave in a brief monologue. Not to mention the wit and one liners - Borderline action cheese but worthy of a laugh without an eye roll. Seriously, this movie was likely the most fun I've had at the movies in quite a long time.

Is The Expendables the type of movie that's so bad it's good? Like ultra cheese?

I expected that for Rambo IV and left the theatre feeling sick. Does Expendables try to be as serious (and gory) as that?

Wes said:
Is The Expendables the type of movie that's so bad it's good? Like ultra cheese?

I expected that for Rambo IV and left the theatre feeling sick. Does Expendables try to be as serious (and gory) as that?

Not at all. It's just a bunch of action stars having a blast on screen. It really doesn't take itself too seriously.

Oh and Rambo was actually pretty well done imo. The Expendables is a different film entirely however.

I really have no idea what Scott Pilgrim is about. Like, absolutely nothing. I hadn't even heard of it until this topic was made.

Rakon said:
Scott Pilgram was an awesome graphic novel series, and that's coming from a guy who hates hipsters more than anything in the world. Seriously, I really f****** hate them.

It was a really fun series, filled with Toronto references (which is cool for me and Wicked) as well as PLENTY of music and a few video game references.

Oh man, you hit the nail on the head here!

I just saw it and it was AWESOME!! So many Toronto references. When the film began my audience and I cheered!! :D It's not like we ever get a shout out in a film, at least not a graphic novel film. And usually when a movie is filmed in Toronto you're not supposed to know that, lol.

Some parts dragged but I think Edgar Wright threw in a lot of British Humour that made it drag. I like British humor, it just didn't fit in this. This is also probably the complete opposite from The Expendables, because it isn't manly at all. Expandables will probably put hair on your chest, Scott Pilgrim will wax your balls :shock:

Anyways, overall I'd say it was indeed an amazing movie!!! Big thumbs up! Video game movies may suck, but a movie done in the style of a video game actually works! If you love video games (you're on a video game forum, aren't you?) then I definaitely recommend this!!

Saw Scott Pilgrim. Its better if you read the comics first, but its still an interesting retelling and entertaining film nonetheless. All the characters got their performances spot on (I'm partial to Wallace and Kim), although certain Evil Exes (Like Roxy and the Twins) are relegated to minor roles due to timing concerns.

Looking forward to the expendables on Sunday Night.

Saw The Expendables.

The Arnie and Willis cameo was hyped up way too much. It would've worked better as a surprise, I feel like the trailers spoiled it for me. But besides that it was pretty good. When it ended I instantly went to the gym so I could get big and fuck chicks.

Lethean said:
Wes said:

Not at all. It's just a bunch of action stars having a blast on screen. It really doesn't take itself too seriously.

Oh and Rambo was actually pretty well done imo. The Expendables is a different film entirely however.

Cool. Yeah I didn't much care for Rambo IV, it just seemed too close to exploitation for my tastes. When Rambo IV ended I felt bad because that stuff actually happens in Burma.

I'm a bigger fan of the the action films that don't try to be serious, like all of Arnold's fabulous one liners in his movies. Action movies imo are supposed to work as escapism from the hardships of every day life.

If The Expendables doesn't take itself seriously and is just a fun ride I'll like it.

Scott Pilgrim took a beating. I normally don't care about box office sales but Eat Pray Love did better. That's a real kick to the scrotum.

Since box office sales = a good movie...

Of course Scott Pilgrim isn't going to be as big of a hit as The Expendables or Eat Pray Love....It's marketed towards a much smaller market than the other two.

Trippysmurf said:
I seem to recall you generalizing everyone who smokes pot based on some dumbass high school kids you know who also happen to smoke pot.
Not really. I think you think that, though, because I did generalize YOU into that group. But that's a topic for another time.

As for the box office, part of the target audience downloaded it for free and another part don't go to the movies because they're "too conformist." So I'm sure it's a bit more disappointing than they would've hoped.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle