GR's top 10 films of 2012

WickedLiquid

Regular
Well, 2012 is coming to an end. And so let's look back at some of the best movies of this year as voted by you.

But first some honourable mentions…

#15 Perks of Being a Wallflower – 6 points
#14 Seven Psychopaths, Chronicle & Wrech it Ralph – 8 points
#13 Paranorman, Brave & Seeking a Friend for the End of the World – 12 points
#12 Les Miserable – 14 points
#11 Django Unchained & The Raid: Redemption – 18 points

The Cabin in the Woods 20 points
cabininthewoodsposter.png

Coming in at #10 is one of those movies that will just make you go WTF? On the surface it may look like your run of the mill horror flick we’ve seen again and again and again. But at its core is a film that’s darkly comedic, bloody satisfying and… well to say anymore would spoil it. But it’s truly unlike any other horror film that came out this year, possibly ever.

Lincoln 22 points
lincolnmovieposterw.jpg

I cannot tell a lie, I did not see this movie. No wait, George Washington said that. Anyway, with a 91% rating at Rotten Tomatoes let’s see what they have to say.

Daniel Day-Lewis characteristically delivers in this witty, dignified portrait that immerses the audience in its world and entertains even as it informs.

Looks like I know what I’ll be checking out when and if It hits Netflix.

Ted 24 points
tedmoviepostersxsw.jpg

Wanna party like the 80’s? Apparently all you need to do is bang a lot of girls named Stephanie. “Tedâ€

I'm an Anderson fan and a huge Bill Murray fan, but I thought Moonrise Kingdom was poorly written. It's a visual masterpiece -- absolutely stunning. you could literally screen cap pieces of film and hang it on your wall.
But that story was lame.

What a waste of a great fucking cast.

I do appreciate his vision, though. It's nice to see this story as told from from his perspective because, as said, it's visually stunning. innocence and love; adventuring with your soul mate; age is nothing but a number.. i get all of that. Everyone's saying, "i wish i could've done that at that age, with my true love." And that's great. It's the film's only redeeming quality, actually. But parts of this movie, man... The whole affair angle between Willis' character and the wife feels tacked on when you see the outcome, like it was only a plot device for an ending. Nothing is fleshed out, it's a basket of bits and pieces. a very pretty basket. Easter basket, even.

The film looks like watercolor painting come to life, but p.u. does the script ever blow.
this one hurts, but hey, at least it did make me smile.

TDKR is my #1 if you cut off the 'christian bale never dies' ending, with the avengers a close 2nd.
3rd would be Lawless, which is an awesome movie despite shia labeouf. Probably because of Tom Hardy, who i have a total bro crush on. I want to buy him and chris hemsworth a beer and talk about cars and footy and shit.

It's a solid--if not surprising--list. 2012 really was the year of the nerd-friendly blockbuster.

Anyone got any ideas how "GR's top 10 films of 2012" might look in, oh, say, six months time when everyone gets to catch up on DVD? I think Cloud Atlas would find a place. I know a lot of people didn't see it (myself included), but it looks like it has the markings of a future cult classic. I'm looking forward to it on DVD.

used44 said:
Good job, Wicked. I neglected to vote.

Which I thought was shocking since we're bigger film lovers than Siskel and Ebert. But then I remembered you had a daughter this year which probably left little time for new movies.

Well at least winter time in Alaska is a perfect time to catch up on movies due to the whole no sunlight thing.

For sure. I just got Prometheus, so I'll watch that shortly. And the rest I'll watch on VOD, as usual.

I'm not a big fan of theaters.

I'm seen 6 of the top ten and they were all great movies. Maybe I should see Cabin in the Woods?

Good job Wicked.

madster111 said:
TDKR is my #1 if you cut off the 'christian bale never dies' ending, with the avengers a close 2nd.
3rd would be Lawless, which is an awesome movie despite shia labeouf. Probably because of Tom Hardy, who i have a total bro crush on. I want to buy him and chris hemsworth a beer and talk about cars and footy and shit.

Did you know: Chris Hemsworth is gay?

Not that theres anything wrong with that, just wondering if you knew.

I've seen the entire top 10, except the Hobbit, which I will never see. Good list.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo