Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either

• Who cares...next topic

• Total voters

Bretimus_v2

So tired.
So alot more people are starting to go to the IMAX these days and a ton of movies are starting to actually show at IMAXs as well. This is still so strange since most of the movies I've seen at IMAX are semi-educational or nature documentaries. I finally saw a regular movie at IMAX (Dark Knight) and I wasn't too impressed.

So...what are your opinions? Is it a necessary option or better or just meh?

Dark Knight was unreal in IMAX, and everyone who saw both thought it was infinitely better. I think action or nature movies are the only things needed in IMAX, because it does vastly improve the experience (not for everything though, pretty much only those two)

I hated that the movie aspect ratio switched depending on if the footage was IMAX footage or regular footage.

I get why they switched.

I just hated it.

I think we have no equal to IMAX in Finland... but I could be wrong, since I haven't visited any sort of cinema for 5 years.

yes, I shouldn't even answer the topic

Haydi said:
I think we have no equal to IMAX in Finland... but I could be wrong, since I haven't visited any sort of cinema for 5 years.

There's one in Heureka (Heard of it? Kind of a science center). I haven't heard of others.

To me either works well. Haven't seen any regular movies in IMAX.

DRIVE IN MOVIES!

Of course, you have to be in Australia for it work.
Grab a blanket and a couple pillows, hop in the back of a ute and you're set.

I think Imax is better, and lucky for us Canadians, I think the tickets are, at most, only 2-3 dollars above the normal 8.50$ price... besides, Imax theaters have a better sound system (I think it's 23? speakers put behind the viewing screen?), so you don't pay all that much extra for a much better experience. At least in Canada.

De-Ting said:
Dolla theatre fork teh wren.

Seriously. I can hardly find a reason for shelling out six to 13 times as much to either see it immediately upon theatrical release or in IMAX.

I really enjoyed the Dark Knight, but it is almost double here. So...not really worth it.

Also, dollar theaters are the worst. I once had to pry my sandal off of the sticky floor. Pry!

Bretimus_v2 said:
Also, dollar theaters are the worst. I once had to pry my sandal off of the sticky floor. Pry!
Keep it at the beeeeeeeeeach!!!

And speaking of keepit, que donde?

i prefer IMAX for the film, but all other factors considered, ie the price, id rather go to the regular cinema, which is a complete rip off anyway.

Rakon said:
Dark Knight was unreal in IMAX, and everyone who saw both thought it was infinitely better.

You should watch out for generalizations such as this one.

As for Madster's comment about the drive-in...I have yet to go to a drive in with as good of sound and picture quality as a movie theater with DLP. They're fun but not as great as a high end theater.

I enjoy films in IMAX but it's been far too long since I actually saw one on an IMAX screen to say which I prefer. I saw the Matrix Revolutions on one and I loved the image quality and bigger screen...It didn't quite save the movie from sucking though.

I can't recall....Is the IMAX widescreen or is it pan and scan? Newb question I know but I can't recall and I want to make sure I'm not losing any of the image when I go see Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on an IMAX screen. I wish Terminator Salvation was showing on it as well but it isn't...Stupid Night at The Museum.

A drive in theater's Audio is as good as the personal sound system in your vehicle as most drive in audio is fed through FM stations and not your classic speaker on a pole, unless you dig that sort of old timey vibe. I'm always surprised by the sound in my vehicle at the drive in... it never sounds that good but at the drive in imo.

Imax is cool but way overrated. I'm already not enjoying myself if I have to book seating to a movie, or buy tickets weeks in advance for opening night. And for some reason I like the crowds, I always have. They add to the overall feel, but for comedies mainly. Hearing others laughing, even starting a laugh, is somehow cathartic.

With that said, the best movie experience to me has always been at the drive in. I have to drive out of the way to find one, but it's always worth it.

And I prefer the Omni theater screen to the Imax. Omni's screen is a lot more oviform, which is the only reason worth watching anything on a screen that big (xept drive in).

10000_Squirrels said:
I think Imax is better, and lucky for us Canadians, I think the tickets are, at most, only 2-3 dollars above the normal 8.50$ price... besides, Imax theaters have a better sound system (I think it's 23? speakers put behind the viewing screen?), so you don't pay all that much extra for a much better experience. At least in Canada.

Sorry, the price is different for different movies and different days, we had to pay 13.50$ for Star Trek on Saturday, but I think it's cheaper on weekdays.By around 4-5$. And, the sound system is a 6 speaker 12,000 watt system, with 2 speakers in the rafters behind you, one behind the screen, 2 up above everyone in the front, and another one somewhere else. Also, The screen is 6 stories tall, and as wide as 2 school buses parked end to end. Plus, the film is 10 times larger than normal quality film, so it's higher resolution. The theatre gave us a little intro on IMAX quality before we watched the movie, so my source is good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle