Movie Decisions

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by danielrbischoff, Jul 13, 2013.

?

Movies are things you watch.

1. 3D, IMAX, BOO-URNS Vision, I do it all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3D sometimes, IMAX never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Always 2D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My computer after it's done downloading

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. danielrbischoff

Sort of separate from the what movie did you last watch thread.... I'm debating whether to see Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D BOO-UNRS ULTRA VISION or just you know... regular, so that got me thinking about other movies that are in 3D and 2D and IMAX and all of that shit.

If it's a movie I'm really excited about, I can't really keep myself from blowing $36 on a pair of IMAX 3D tickets. When the gf wanted to see Great Gatsby, we obviously opted for 2D and not 3D. With Pacific Rim, it's such a visual movie, I think it will make an effect, but for Thor, I was happy not to pay for 3D.

How do you guarantee yourself the best possible movie-going experience without feeling like your ass just got widened by AMC?

2. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

I'd rather get a 4k tv and watch in my home.

Sony's 4k movie service will work on the ps4. One movie takes up "100 gigabytes and plus"
    http://gizmodo.com/5987717/sonys-4k-mov ... 00gb-a-pop

For some people that download would take days. For others in lucky parts of the U.S not that long.

3. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

2D. Anything else gives me a headache.

4. C_nate

C_nate Rookie

I really dislike 3D. To me it's nothing more than a gimmick that movie theaters use so they can tack on even more to the price of a ticket. Did you know the technology behind 3D is older than even color television itself? And yet, they keep bringing it back every generation or so as this amazing new thing they came up with. Fuck off Hollywood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_film

Slightly off topic, but the 3DTV fad they tried shoving down our throats right after many people just got done upgrading to HDTV has failed miserably.

It's way too early to tell about how the 4k stuff will catch on, but we'll find out in a few years.

5. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

To help with your Pacific Rim viewing decision, I feel it would be best seen in 3D. I've never been to an IMAX, but I couldn't fathom paying $18 to see a movie. $12 for 3D at my local theater is plenty.

But from how I hear Pacific Rim is getting trounced by Grown Ups 2 and Despicable Me 2, I'd say it needs all the money it can get. Despite good reviews, it's going to be a struggle between domestic and international for it to break even. It's expected to do really well in China and Japan, so there's that.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Pacific Rim is pretty good, despite some... 'lackluster' acting.

3D is always pointless, but especially so for pacific rim.

7. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

3D
    with DBOX seats!

DBOX!

8. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

the only movie ive ever enjoyed 3D in still to this day is Avatar.. and even then I could easily have done without it.

always 2D for me. don't find 3D enjoyable at all.

and as sourdeez said, i have spent a good deal on my TV/Speakers/Receiver etc. and actually prefer almost any movie in my home, in old fashioned 2D. the only time i get to the theaters is if I absolutely can't wait for a movie.

9. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

2D always always always.

10. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Higher resolution 2d(4k) over 3d any day.

Same goes in video games.(Excluding the Oculus Rift)

11. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

IMAX always, 3D sometimes but usually never.

Pacific Rim isn't a movie, it's a ride lol. So for something like that the only way to see it is IMAX 3D AVX D-BOX orgasmo vision.

But movies, you know, stories with character depth don't need bells and whistles. I love a big screen so Imax all the way but that's as far as I like to go.

12. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately there's no IMAX cinema where I live and I don't like watching 3D movies, so I try and watch the movies in 2D.

13. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Amazon has this off-brand (but well-reviewed) 50" 4K on sale for $966. Pretty insane.

14. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Meanwhile that TV has gotten poor reviews from pretty much every professional outlet. I take user reviews on electronics with a grain of salt. Usually people want to believe what they've bought is the best for the money when that isn't the case. The level of subjectivity is minimal I imagine.

Anyways, I'll watch primarily 2D unless it's a film I'm really looking forward to like Prometheus or Pacific Rim. I've seen some great 3D films and some mediocre, just like 2D. If I can afford it, I'll watch a fi;m in IMAX but only something like Into Darkness. The nearest IMAX theater is about 35 minutes way.

15. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Could fly down to sydney to watch the IMAX.

Although considering it's a 1.5hr drive away from me and i'd never bother with said drive, you might not be too keen on it.

16. DH_Ninja

DH_Ninja Regular

2D. 3D just hurts the eyes.

17. FrozenBacon

FrozenBacon Veteran

I have a 3DTV and I prefer watching stuff in 2D. 3D is cool in theaters, but I really dont think the extra price is worth it.

18. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

My new tv is also 3D, though I won't use it often. It was just sort of a feature that it happened to have.

So far the only cool use I've got out of it was playing Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. That was so well done that I'll consider playing through the whole game that way.

19. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

2D. I highly think 3D is a waste of money unless stuff is coming out to attack you or something.

20. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I like some 3D stuff, visually it is pretty stunning. But I'd only go to the cinema for it, I wouldn't go out of my way for a 3D TV or anything.

Plus, I'd only go to see it at the cinema if it's "fun"!. Such as a scary film with blood coming at you or something.