Prey

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Bethesda's new "Prey" comes out today on PC, PS4 and X-Box One. I must have been living under a rock or completely ignoring the news about it, but I only just started learning about the game today.

I'm tempted to pick it up. I enjoy Bethesda's first person games, like Wolfenstein: The New Order, as well as Dishonored and its sequel. The local retailers are selling it for a severely discounted price today, and for today only.

Has anyone played the demo? What do you think of the game?

I pre-ordered and am not regretting it at all. The game is very similar to BioShock in a sense that you are trapped in a derelict facility, gathering weapons and abilities, and trying to unravel a mystery. If you liked BioShock you will love this game. Don't think it's a BioShock rip-off. It feels completely different, combat is much better and more in depth and the game is tougher. If you aren't smart you will die quickly. You need to use your weapons and stealth strategically and you are more limited on ammo than you were in BioShock.

I would say it's more akin to System Shock due to the depth of Neuromods, crafting, and combat. I'm one hour in and I'm hooked.

Of course, this is far off the beaten path of Prey 2 that was canceled and the original Prey. Graphics wise, the game feels a bit dated due to textures looking ugly up close, but it does have lots of detail, not going to punish any high-end PCs at all. The recommended card is a 970 so if you have anything above that you should get max FPS. So far, no glitches or crashes and the game runs silky smooth. One of the best launches I have seen for PC in a long time. This may break Bethesda's bad streak.

I ended up getting Prey.

I watched De-Ting's video after I played the game and yes, the opening sequence is... interesting, to say the least.

I like some of the music but at the same time, I don't like some of the music. I'm not sure how to describe it. The music really reminds me of No Man's Sky. Not sure why. The music in the opening sequence is awful, in my opinion.

Other than that, I am enjoying the game. It feels different. I dig the exploration aspects as well as the stealth elements, but the game is quite challenging. I've only played for a couple of hours or so, maybe.

Finally found out how to make things like shotgun shells and stuff.

I rage-quit the demo. I found the combat annoying and the story vastly uninteresting. Also the combat was annoying.

De-Ting said:
I rage-quit the demo. I found the combat annoying and the story vastly uninteresting. Also the combat was annoying.

It's a demo. The story is extremely interesting in the main game and the combat is great. It's not Call of Duty where you can run and gun your way around. I feel Call of Duty ruined shooters for the masses as it makes them too easy. Long gone are the FPS games when you were, dare I say it, challenged? That's why I compared this to System Shock. You have to actually think and use skill and that might turn most modern FPS players off.

"BLEEHH!! ME NO LIKE DUMB DUMB GAME!!!" That's how I feel every person who is used to the modern lobotomized shooter says when they play these rare gems that come along.

This game is so far off the beaten path of modern shooters it makes me want to cry and thank the devs. I honestly hope it pisses the younger players off as they try to run and gun in this game and die over and over again.

BTW, this isn't toward you or anything, just people in general.

I'm enjoying the game for the most part. It's very... different, and I kinda like it.

Combat is frustrating, but I think I just need to "git gud", e.g. not run in blindly, try and be stealthy, plan attacks etc.

I've killed a couple of phantoms with this approach. Be stealthy, use the stun gun, blow 'em away with the shotgun. Attacking from above seems to help too, and with the GLOO gun, I can get high to a lot of places.

Prey is an interesting, almost unique experience that does feel like a homage to Half-Life, System Shock etc. So far, I like it.

Master_Craig said:
I'm enjoying the game for the most part. It's very... different, and I kinda like it.

Combat is frustrating, but I think I just need to "git gud", e.g. not run in blindly, try and be stealthy, plan attacks etc.

I've killed a couple of phantoms with this approach. Be stealthy, use the stun gun, blow 'em away with the shotgun. Attacking from above seems to help too, and with the GLOO gun, I can get high to a lot of places.

Prey is an interesting, almost unique experience that does feel like a homage to Half-Life, System Shock etc. So far, I like it.

You got the idea. This isn't a run and gun game, and from what you said we have been trained and molded by games like Call of Duty to be mindless zombies just shooting everything on site. Sadly, with games like Prey being unique and falling back to more conventional gameplay styles it hurts sales because younger gamers don't get it. So many games today are easy and hold your hand through everything. Prey is all about exploration and exploitation of your tools.

De-Ting said:
You're not the only one. I tried to give it a chance, but I was just bored to death.

Ivory_Soul said:
BTW, this isn't toward you or anything, just people in general.
Clearly.

As a side note, I'd much rather play through BioShock 1 & 2 again instead of this drivel.

De-Ting said:
As a side note, I'd much rather play through BioShock 1 & 2 again instead of this drivel.

I didn't mind the first Bioshock, but I really enjoyed Bioshock 2. I think the first one was just a little too out of date for me. Honestly, I only just played all three Bioshock games recently, my brother and his partner bought me the PS4 Bioshock collection for my birthday last year. Can't believe I never played those games earlier.

Master_Craig said:
De-Ting said:

I didn't mind the first Bioshock, but I really enjoyed Bioshock 2. I think the first one was just a little too out of date for me. Honestly, I only just played all three Bioshock games recently, my brother and his partner bought me the PS4 Bioshock collection for my birthday last year. Can't believe I never played those games earlier.

BioShock 2 is actually sub-par to the first game. It plays everything way too safe and loses the narrative that the first game did so perfectly. I have the collector's edition of BioShock 2 and in the art book, 2K Marin had SO MANY GREAT IDEAS that they threw out because they were afraid of breaking the game. So instead, they gave us the exact same game just mixed up a bit. BioShock 2 was by no means bad, it just wasn't the amazing sequel that we wanted. We had to wait for Infinite for that.

Also, Prey is not drivel. You just have to have more patience than 5 year old to play it. You also have to play MORE THAN THE FUCKING DEMO!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod