What Game Series Deserves a Reboot?

Paul Tamburro

Executive Editor
Staff member
A lot of folks were eager to talk about this on Tell GR, so I thought I'd pitch it in here, too, as it's easier to share videos, screenshots, etc.

What game series do you feel deserves a reboot? It could be an old-school underrated classic or a popular series that you'd like to see given a makeover. I'll go first:

twisted-metal-ps4-1024x576.jpg

The GR staff were talking about this today. Why haven't we seen another Twisted Metal game, or a new car combat game in general? It's waste of a great multiplayer genre.

dmc5-768x460.jpg

Devil May Cry.

Don't get me wrong. Devil May Cry already had a reboot of sorts in the Devil May Cry: DmC game developed by Ninja Theory, so maybe it doesn't quite count, but to be honest, it was (at least to me anyway) almost the same thing as previous Devil May Cry games by Capcom. The only major difference was the camera was more of a traditional third person, rather than a static, in-the-corner camera... the story too, of course. I reckon that Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry: DmC has the best story out of all DMC games combined.

Devil May Cry seriously needs a good breath of fresh air in regards to its game play and style of narrative. Granted, reboots and changes of style generate controversy but for the most part, I think it's a good thing. I imagine developers must get tired of making the same shit over and over, I mean... Resident Evil 4 is a great example. Not quite a "reboot" per say, but it was a massive shift in style that it pissed off so many dedicated fans of the franchise, but in the end, it was one of the greatest third person games ever created and inspired so many games after it. Capcom pretty much did it again with Resident Evil VII, especially with the train wreck that was Resident Evil 6.

I think like any business, you need to adapt in order to grow and survive. You can't stay the same forever.

Bring back the Prince of Persia reboot that they did on PS3! That thing was way better than Assasin Creed which overtook it at Ubi. And the partner system added a new element and changed up the stale combat system that PoP two and three built towards.

Bring back the Prince of Persia reboot that they did on PS3! That thing was way better than Assasin Creed which overtook it at Ubi. And the partner system added a new element and changed up the stale combat system that PoP two and three built towards.

I enjoyed the Prince of Persia reboot. For its time, the graphics looked amazing and the environment, while at times feeling a bit empty, also felt expansive and imaginative.

What I didn't like about the game is the combat system. It felt too simple with overuse of quick time button input, and you couldn't die. No matter what happened, you just couldn't die, always saved by your magical friend.

That being said, magical friend was pivotal to the story. I find games that have two characters on screen (e.g. Uncharted, The Last of Us) seem to be more entertaining than games when you are a solo, as you get character interaction, dialog, banter etc.

Agree with this. I was really upset that they chose to continue the story on the damned Nintendo DS of all things, especially considering the cliffhanger ending of both the main game and the DLC! Never got around to playing the DS game, but while you do play as the Prince, Elika is basically out of the picture, which just ruins what the main game started, in my opinion.

Totally agree with Prince of Persia! Wasn't too fussed about the combat/rewinding time stuff. Just loved the platforming and figuring out how to move within the environment to get to where you're going!

DMC...I personally want a new game that plays like all the classics! There's that major leak that came out RE DMC5, and I'm hoping it lives up to hype.

I would absolute love a Destruction Derby reboot!
61fzOSlxGJL._SX425_.jpg

This game was THE TITS! Knocking out three races in a grand prix, and ending in a colleseum battle was stunning as a kid! Want to relive this.

Bushido Blade!

bushido-blade-usa.jpg

This was one of the most fun fighting games ever, as you could die in a single hit. If you got hit in an arm, you would no longer be able to use it, making your attacks slower and less effective the heavier your weapon was. If you got hit in the leg, you'd only be able to slowly shuffle around. The sequel was not as good, imo, but was still fun.

Bushido Blade!

bushido-blade-usa.jpg

This was one of the most fun fighting games ever, as you could die in a single hit. If you got hit in an arm, you would no longer be able to use it, making your attacks slower and less effective the heavier your weapon was. If you got hit in the leg, you'd only be able to slowly shuffle around. The sequel was not as good, imo, but was still fun.
This is a great choice. I'm not much for fighting games nowadays, but i would be all for revisiting Bushido Blade. I think it would do well as a very fast-paced experience like Nidhogg or Towerfall.

I was thinking the other day. Would love to see classic lemmings remade!
With the claasic levels and new ones. Id play the shit out of that.

I'm sure there's a ton I can think of but one of my all time favourite games was Oni.

Oni_Coverart.jpg

Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time
For me, this is probably one of the first reboots in the history of video games, or at least the first to match or even exceed the success of the original series.

Last edited:
I've always felts like the original Max Payne should deserve a remake. The way the narration pulls you into this dark, gritty New York city is still something I rarely saw since its release in any other video games. I remember being so impressed with the bullet time and the gunplay. Man, I just wish for someone to make it all over again without this "I'm about to take a shit" face.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod