On ROMs and modding

Squiggy

Regular
Hi, I recently posted this topic in the Classic Gaming forum, and I was suggested to ask about a few certain details of it here.

I am aware that in most cases owning ROM copies to play them on emulators is technically illegal (and is in fact only legal if you created the ROM yourself with a legit copy of the game for backup purposes). However, there is a relatively good modding scene within game emulation, as many of you have no doubt seen stuff like incredibly difficult levels put into Super Mario World, and other games.

What I am asking is, would it be okay to try what I'm intending to do? What it really is, is just getting a bunch of GR members to work collaboratively on making a version of Super Mario World with all of the levels replaced with new, challenging ones. While it does involve having to have a ROM of the game, an emulator, and a level editor, I figured it would be perfectly harmless seeing as it's not being made to make any money, it is entirely a project for fun.

So despite the technically illegal issues at hand, would I be allowed to try for such a project?

i don't see anything wrong with that myself. i'd have to look into it more carefully if it was any gr staff working on the project, but go nuts. have fun.

Super Mario World is basically public domain now. There are so many copies of it, I think it would be weird if Nintendo started cracking down on its emulation or modding.

The trick to Super Mario World though, is now it is officially available for purchase via the Wii Shop Channel, which of course would have to mean the copyright is updated to protect it, I'm sure.

But honestly, I don't think anybody important is going to find out, so I think it would be really fun if we could gather up a bunch of GR members to work on a SMW mod.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod