Super Mario World level editing

Squiggy

Regular
I'm sure many of you have seen plenty of them on Youtube or similar sites. Videos of Super Mario World where the levels are completely changed. Asshole Mario, for instance, the especially, unfairly difficult hack (actually known as Kaizo Mario). Or the Automatic Mario videos, where it's all cleverly formed levels that play out automatically, as in, nobody controls Mario, the environment pushes him to his goal.

Well, A while back I downloaded a copy of the level editor that creates all of that stuff. It's called Lunar Magic, and is a really robust editor for Super Mario World ROMs. I started messing around with it in the hopes of making a completely new Super Mario World with totally new levels. Take every single level in the game, and replace it with something new.

I told you all of that to propose this. How about we get a bunch of us GR members together and work collaboratively on a Super Mario World hack? I realize ROMs are in most instances illegal, but since nobody is profiting from this and nobody important has to know, I think we may be able to do it.

So get this: The levels must be challenging, really hard, or really clever (or both!). And all the while, the game will reassure you that rescuing Princess Toadstool will reward you with delicious cake.

All you need: a ROM for the SNES version of Super Mario World, and the Lunar Magic level editor

Recommended: A guide on how to use Lunar Magic.

Note on level editing: Don't just take a level and add tons of stuff to it. Create an entirely new level. When the level is done, feel free to give it a new name if you please (but tell me what level it originally was so I know where to put it).

I'd really like to see this project complete. Any takers should look into getting the above stuff, and then let me know what level they want to change. Ask what level you want to edit, and I can look up the number to locate it in Lunar Magic. If I knew how (and if I'm allowed to on here), I'd upload my current build to show you guys the two-and-a-half levels I've done so far. I've already got Yoshi's Island 1 and the Yellow Switch palace redone. last I used Lunar Magic, I was working on Yoshi's Island 2.

So... who wants to do this?

I don't know, which is why I did point it out that I would like to do this if we're allowed.

Yeah technically you can get the game by other means nowadays, such as finding a used copy of the GBA version, and the original SNES version IS available on Wii's Virtual Console. But considering that this ROM hack would end up as an almost entirely different game when its finished, that may be counted as a loophole. However I am not sure.

I certainly hope we can do this, I think it would be fun to see what everybody comes up with for levels.

Technically ROMs that are hacked or copied versions of games not in the Public Domain (meaning companies still own the license) are not legal and not supported in the GR community.

Now, if you are making ROM game files from scratch, I see no reason why you can't talk about the creation of/share the files for them here. Just as long as they don't contain material that has a copyright.

Its not that the fellas who own GR are asses, its that they can get in legal trouble if their site is being used as a distribution point for stolen material.

Now, to me it sounds like you are creating something new using the base of something else- I don't see this as any different than using the Unreal engine to make your own FPS (unless they get mad you didn't pay for the engine.)

I'd like to see some of your work myself.

Huh, that is a good way to put it. Never looked at it that way before.

But if I could be allowed to do it, I'd certainly upload what I've got to show off the three levels I've done so far. They're quite hard, and I tested them myself in an emulator to make sure they're not impossible.

Okay, so after about one reply in the topic I made in GRandmaster about this possible project, pretty much the only legal guideline is that anybody who may want to participate in this must own a legal copy of Super Mario World.

Technically I think the law says that you can only have the ROM on your computer if you ripped it yourself from your own legit copy for backup purposes, but who the hell checks? Seriously.

So who's in?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle