My new thing

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by used44, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Wes

Wes Rookie

My NES, SNES, N64, etc are all still safe and sound in a closet somewhere. I pulled out my N64 and gave it a go but my current gaming set up is not made for wired controllers. The first thing I did when I sat down with the controller in my hand was pull the damn console off the stand and have it crash on the floor.

2. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Presumably the N64 has a small scratch while you need to replace the floor?

And the wired controllers/expense of games/lack of PAL consoles for sale is the reason i like my current setup - for N64/GC/PS2 games i run my PC through my TV with a wireless 360 controller, and it works fairly flawlessly. PS1/NES/SNES duties are done by my phone.
    By doing N64 through my PC, it actually works better than the console itself - OOT with high res texutres and all of the graphical enhancements the emulator can do looks damn good - as in early-PS2-era good, and the 360 controller is infinitely better than the N64s one.

Sure, you lack the actual collection and owning the awesome consoles, but at the same time it's a hell of a lot cheaper and much easier to replace. If you spent years building up an awesome NES/SNES collection, it'd take someone 5 minutes to steal it all or set your house on fire destroying all that work. By going digital/emu only, you can fit your entire collection on a MicroSD and implant it under your skin just in case.

I'd still probably buy a good condition SNES if i could find one locally, but so far they're either yellow and damaged or going for >$100.