So what's the story behind Super Mario Bros 2?

GhostTrip

Rookie
The Japanese thought the game would be too hard for us English speaking folk so they designed a new game?

I actually like the NA/Europe Super Mario Bros 2 better then the Japanese because the Japanese one just looks like the first game with harder levels.

But the story is kinda out there. I mean it's not your typical rescue the princess from Bowser game. It starts off with your character falling (down the rabbit hole) and entering some world that isn't full of koopas but magic carpets and dinosaurs?

Play this game while listening to Dark Side of the Moon and you'll understand that the Mario games is just one big drug trip. I know this has been an on-going joke but really, Mario 2 was the only one to shove it in our face.

Okay, now I'm rambling.

TL;DR is there a way I can play Super Mario Bros 2 the Japanese version?

well the story starts out with our friend mario picking cyanescens. mario is a big fan of silasiben mushrooms. mario makes some shroom Tea back at his house. he has a horrible trip. hes walking down the street with a cantaloupe in one hand and a tennis racket in the other. he falls down a man hole and thats what the number 2 story picks up.

p-cyanescens3.jpg

Super Mario Bros 2 has the worst ending ever. It is also the worst mario game besides Mario is Missing.

Why so shocked?

Mario games take other routes like RPG, Sports, etc. Some ideas failed, some succeeded. But the platforming games are Mario's true home and where he shines. Mario Bros 2 just doesn't cut it with the other platformers.

I only mentioned Mario is Missing because that game is so bad it's worth pointing out.

xxlordskullxx said:
first of all i think mario 2 was a great game. not as good as 3, but hey, few games are.

secondly, mario 2 was just a reskinning of sorts of the game "doki doki panic"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Panic

no no your missing the point the american version was a reskinning of doki doki the real version was only realeased in japan and was re released in america in that mario grateast hits game as "the lost levels"

Mario is Missing? The worst Mario game?

What about Hotel Mario for the CD-i? The object of the game is completing each level by closing doors.

And hey, Mario is Missing can't be all bad when the PC version had what would eventually become Weegee, whose gaze can steal your very soul and turn you into one of him.

used44 said:
Locked.

Just kidding.

OH-NOES :(
-Huh, what? OH! Ya got me!! :lol: :wink:

And Mario is Missing was a horrid game. I barely remember it, but I know you played as Luigi searching for Mario. But instead of searching a haunted house with a vaccum backpack you had to take quiz after quiz on geography or history or something. Even back then I knew the game sucked and I put up with TMNT and Bart's Nightmare.

I never played Hotel Mario or the Zelda CD-i games. What were those developers thinking?

I am sure this was already said, but Super Mario All-Stars has the real SMB2 called "The Lost Levels". The US SMB2 (One of my favorite games btw) is another game franchise with Mario characters put in place of the original ones. Doki Doki Panic.

Anyhow, I assume that was stated already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle