Mass Effect 2

SKX said:
I love reading two dumbshits argue about who is the bigger douchebag,,,,.give it up.

Anyway, yeh great game. Just finished my first play through with only one team causality but i honestly didn't like them anyway. I find the ending a bit short but to be honest the game felt like a complete story. I love the fact that one of the loading screens says be careful what you do, it will effect mass effect 3. Thats crazy, i hope gameplay effects more the third game then the second, that would be an intense experience.

Who? Madster and Koala?

And did your one casualty get shot in the face? I've heard a lot of people saying when they lose a squad member it's that one part where they send someone to open or reinforce a door or some such.

Okay, is the teammate AI a piece of shit for anyone else? Because I have noticed that my teammates will:
refuse to get behind cover and die
get on the wrong side of cover and die
refuse to get back into cover while under attack and die
run directly at an attacking enemy and die
pop out of cover while a missile is incoming and die
stay behind cover and not attack while the only remaining enemy rips me to shreds and I die
waste their powers on enemies with barely any health instead of the ones who will actually feel it
etc.

None of these were one time things. They happened more times than I can count. Hell, every single one of them happened during the final boss battle.

The other thing is that sometimes my biotics just won't work. And what I'm not sure of is if this was intentional or not. For example, I hit an enemy with pull, and instead of going into the air he turns blue, as if it worked, and just continues what he was doing. This happens about 1 out of every 20 times, so it's fairly common.

So, I just read all 6 pages of this thread, and there are some very interesting points and arguments. The last two pages were almost completely useless, but thats besides the point. Obviously, nobody is wrong, as this is all purely opinion. Of course there are gong to be people who hate the game, don't think its as good as the last, or whatever. And of course there are going to be people who think its the best game to ever be made, and must purely be a godsend.

First, I see lots of people saying that this isn't a RPG. I am curious as to how people define RPG. Now, RPG can mean different things to different people.

To me, a game that gives me options on how to advance my characters through skills has RPG elements. If I can majorly change how my character plays through skills, stats, attributes, etc, then it us at -least- partially a roleplaying game.

Example:
Resident Evil 5: Upgrade weapons, but no personal stats, attributes, etc. - Not RPG (duh)
Mass Effect 2: Change class, skills, gender, background, entire story surround main character - RPG elements

There are more points to what makes a RPG to me, such as the ability to change the storyline, characters with you, or who lives and dies based on minor or major decisions made during the game. Roleplaying means you are playing a role that you ultimately shape and form. I believe that Mass Effect 2 does that.

Now, there are degrees of roleplaying. Final Fantasy is more of a roleplaying game than Mass Effect 2. Any of them. But that doesn't mean that Mass Effect 2 has no RPG elements in it.

Again, this is my opinion. I'm curious how you all define it. One style or word can mean totally different things to different people. I'm not interested in dictionary definitions.

Also, I agree and disagree on different things said about combat.

Longo: I beat the game on normal first, and had no problem with my team. Or anything else. Didn't die more than once the whole game, and barely used any medi-gels. Now, I don't actively watch my AI teammates, but they must have been doing OK.

Now, on Veteran mode, which is clearly more difficult, my team does seem to be dying a lot more...but not anywhere near in the way you are saying. More often than not, they die from that damned shock wave attack that booms through cover.

Also, I've never had a problem with my biotics working. First time through (43 hours to complete) I was a warrior so I didn't care at all about biotics, other than my barrier I picked up. But I am on my second way through, playing a vanguard this time (I think that's the one....the class that has the charge attack), and I have been throwing Pull Fields all over the place with much success. No problems there either.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, I am not sure if I am just not noticing them, or not getting them...but they definitely sound like a pain in the ass.

So there you have my opinions. I think the game is great, with some flaws, as almost every game has. Mineral scanning sucks, though I found if you tap the left trigger repeatedly while moving around, the cursor moves 10x faster and works very well. I am still disappointed that there is ammo versus overheating...though I like the addition of heavy weapons, and without ammo they simply would not work. But overall, I judge a game based on how interested I am kept and how much fun I have....and I never found myself bored or annoyed, and genuinely had a great time.

You make a good point. But at the same time, even San Andreas had RPG elements. Hell, it had even more than ME2. But would I consider it an RPG? No.

But yes there is the level of character interaction that it brings. Although, it has been severely reduced since the first game, since you can no longer get your characters opinions on the areas they're in, and you don't talk on elevators. Instead you get loyalty missions, which consists of go place, shoot enemies, gain loyalty, with very little in between. And at the end of the loyalty mission there will be a moment when you can decide a paragon or renegade ending. That's it. The only two that were different were Thane and Miranda's, which is funny because those are just about everyones favorites since they require some actual skill to complete.

As for the other stuff I noticed, I think it's because I'm playing on Insanity that I noticed it. Since one wrong move is instant death, I require my teammates help immensely. Usually, I don't get it because they've died in one of the ways I mentioned. And as for the biotics, it always happened with Pull, and it always happened at critical times. So that might be why I noticed it.

I just beat it. It was good. If there was a solid rating between B and B+ I would give it that. So about an 8.8 or so.

The final boss was a bitch. I was on a lucky streak when I beat it. It goes on it's rounds through the 4 spots over and over, and I was able to beat it right after it went through all 4 once, and got lucky as hell because Harbinger came in right when I fired the last shot. It was amazing.

I just received my copy. I must say that like Maddster ... they literally have blown me away in the first minutes of the game. And in two ways to be exact. ^^

But ... then I was quite overwhelmed with everything going on. Whole new battle system, cover - heal type thing, a whole new Hud (why did they change that? The first one did it's job mighty well) and etc.

But there is somethings that's been pestering me ... like in the GR review. The mining thing. Why does the scanner have to be so god damn slow? :( Make the thing quite a chore. And if I may ask ... is there a way to know how many nodes there are to mine on a planet? Or is this a lucky, go guess situation? :)

Otherwise ... I love the fact that my decisions in the previous game shaped the universe of this one. Andersson in the Council = <3 :D

My final battle reminded me of when the multiple endings first came out. You know, it looks like random scenes strapped together with a little pause in between. Yeh mine just had one of the character lying down with the geth in the background. Even that twangy bounty hunter survived. I did all the missions but i could only imagine if you rented the game and when straight for the ending. You would have no one left alive and it would be pretty depressing.

The comment about the Hdtv, yeh that's unfortunate. When i first got a 360 i had no idea what was going on in Dead rising because the tiny text. I imagine Mass effect 2 would be brutal. But thankfully hdtvs are going down in price! Such a difference, i am bit envious that you will get to experience the improvement for the first time. I was blown away my first time.

Kijan said:
I just received my copy. I must say that like Maddster ... they literally have blown me away in the first minutes of the game. And in two ways to be exact. ^^

But ... then I was quite overwhelmed with everything going on. Whole new battle system, cover - heal type thing, a whole new Hud (why did they change that? The first one did it's job mighty well) and etc.

But there is somethings that's been pestering me ... like in the GR review. The mining thing. Why does the scanner have to be so god damn slow? :( Make the thing quite a chore. And if I may ask ... is there a way to know how many nodes there are to mine on a planet? Or is this a lucky, go guess situation? :)

Otherwise ... I love the fact that my decisions in the previous game shaped the universe of this one. Andersson in the Council = <3 :D

If the game kept the HUD from Mass Effect 1 and made mining into something, anything, remotely fun, the A- would have been easy. Also, I agree with Longo that the player should have had much more control over the AI (if they had AI tactics in Dragon Age: Origins, why not use them here?) and there were times when I swear I used a biotic power and nothing happened. Overall, I felt that the approach towards action and the story were right, but the execution was spotty in places. If they make the same mistakes in the final chapter, no benefit of the doubt will be given.

I still don't see a difference to this and the other game, the changes I expected, and I guess I can care less about the changes that were made.

I will say though the cover system is Gears of War like, but the combat in the game is really good. I actually use the tactical system a lot in the game, trying to circle enemies with my characters when I can, making firefights actually fun.

The scanning stuff is boring, but it reminds me of the last game where we had to look around empty planets for stuff to mine.

I still say it's a good game though, one of the best ive played in a while, and I want to make a video of the entire trilogy for online eventually.

Whenever Garrus yells out "scratch one" I expect him to throw the word grub at the end of his sentence.

Nick_Tan said:
Overall, I felt that the approach towards action and the story were right, but the execution was spotty in places. If they make the same mistakes in the final chapter, no benefit of the doubt will be given.

Agreed. The story and setting make me love this game tremendously: all the characters are fun or at least unique; a world where you die in the sun light; Omega: the Anti-Presidium; but the cover system and AI control is killing me, literally. Maybe GoW spoiled us with cover systems, but I expect to change a weapon in the middle of a fire fight without standing up. Even worse: I used Unity to help myself while wounded under cover, only to die as I stood up to activate the power.

With the AI controls, there are times where an enemy will be shooting me, as my ally stands right in front of them, looking at me. I enjoy the sniping, but I get "Rock Blocked" by one of my squad mates on almost every encounter.

On a Side Note to those that have played: Did anyone else really want the imperfect Krogan instead of Grunt?

The only complaint i have with ME2 is the loss of all the side missions..
I mean, what the hell happened to all the citadel?
Why can't we fast travel to other places?

And the sniping pissed me off too.
Why the fuck does the scope move every time you get shot?
What the hell do the shields do, allow the bullets to smack your armor?

Speaking of sniper rifles...I really hate when I have my sniper rifle equip (I'm an infiltrator so that's all I use) whenever I use some a power, it zooms in with the scope...Kind of annoying.

But the infiltrator sniper slow-mo is really awesome.

Why the f*** does the scope move every time you get shot?

Sorry, I know everything you said was vaild...but I love this line...it made me chuckle. I actually expect a sniper scope to move when I am shot, as I would move when a bullet hits me, even if it hit shields.

the_mighty_toast said:
as I would move when a bullet hits me, even if it hit shields.
But that's the point - you don't know you've been shot. Your shield SHOULD be absorbing all of the impact, leaving you with no sense that you've just been shot other than the HUD in your helmet springing up with a little bit of red arrow in the direction of the damage..

Just completed it. Marvelous. Bravo.

I love Bioware so much these days. Sure i spotted one or niggly flaws here and there, but compared to the utter brilliance I enjoyed for 30ish hours, they're like a candle to a burning sun.

I loved it, and I'm very privileged to enjoy such a remarkable thing for 40 pounds.

So I've recruited everyone but Legion and I'm working on the loyalty quests.

Is there a twist to the story at some point in time? I don't want to know said twist, I just want to know if there is one. I'm kind of hoping the Illusive Man does something that warrants a bullet to the head. I'd hate to think Shephard will forever be indebted to him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod